• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Erwing at LT?

Martin

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

Not exactly sure which stud LT FA our team should jave gone after. Getting a player that plays well at all 3 positions is important.  We still have the draft. 

This isn't a perfect world where we can select the best LT anytime we want to, and pay him pennies for us. 

We'll have to wait and see his potential.  If he was thrown in the fire last year to fill in he may not have look as good as he can be.  Given full reps at LT in OTAs and minicamps may help him get to the point where he plays well. 

If he doesn't start at LT his versatility will help us when someone goes down.

The negativity on this board is amazing.  So many people bitch about not drafting one last season.  Tell me which player you would give up for the LT.  Brown? YGM? Chinn?  Each one of those players filled a huge need for us.

Hopefully, we find a QB and can address those positions in the draft otherwise we fill them with the players that fit our need both physically and economically. 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

We'll have to wait and see his potential.  If he was thrown in the fire last year to fill in he may not have look as good as he can be.  Given full reps at LT in OTAs and minicamps may help him get to the point where he plays well. 

The negativity on this board is amazing.  So many people bitch about not drafting one last season.  Tell me which player you would give up for the LT.  Brown? YGM? Chinn?  Each one of those players filled a huge need for us.

Hopefully, we find a QB and can address those positions in the draft otherwise we fill them with the players that fit our need both physically and economically. 

Easy, I would have flipped Brown for one of the LTs that went in the 1st after him. Brown is good but DTs are not worth good+ LTs. I get all the angles and anyway you cut it looks like failure at roster managent. Okung was unhealthy, Scott is a backup that can fill in part time and Little wasn't even active when we had no depth at that position. So far, they haven't done anything that patches the line for another year unless there is a miracle, again that would be poor roster management from the new group relying on a miracle. 

I am sooooo hoping we can draft one in the 2nd, this draft offers us that opportunity. Scott can give us 4 decent games, gives the rookie some extra time if needed. Being 100% honest, it's not unthinkable that some of the guys we could take in the 2nd could flat out beat Scott, Little or Erwing.

Ewing is just a bad player. I'm always fine with taking a flyer at a long shot for cheap as long as we are not relying on thar having to work out. There are no good LT options in free agency, it's draft or very likely be worse than last year. At least Okung gave us 7ish games last year, we don't have anything near that as it stands.

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I'd have given up Brown without hesitation and taken Bechton or Wirfs. Would have preferred a trade down between 10-15 and taken one there. LT is the 2nd hardest position to fill and anyone with a pair of eyes other than Hurney knew Little was never going to even get close to being starter material. 

• Flames 1

I think any decision at LT will depend on whom we get at QB.  Once Gross retired the LT position (and line in general) seems to have been somewhat neglected because we had a "mobile" QB that was big and strong and could take some hits. I believe this allowed the team to justify shifting money to other positions. 

If we end up with another so called "mobile" QB, I would not expect any large FA moves at LT. I hope I am wrong on that. I am still bitter we did Cam like that. 

Edited by Ready 2 Win
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Easy, I would have flipped Brown for one of the LTs that went in the 1st after him. Brown is good but DTs are not worth good+ LTs. I get all the angles and anyway you cut it looks like failure at roster managent. Okung was unhealthy, Scott is a backup that can fill in part time and Little wasn't even active when we had no depth at that position. So far, they haven't done anything that patches the line for another year unless there is a miracle, again that would be poor roster management from the new group relying on a miracle. 

I am sooooo hoping we can draft one in the 2nd, this draft offers us that opportunity. Scott can give us 4 decent games, gives the rookie some extra time if needed. Being 100% honest, it's not unthinkable that some of the guys we could take in the 2nd could flat out beat Scott, Little or Erwing.

Ewing is just a bad player. I'm always fine with taking a flyer at a long shot for cheap as long as we are not relying on thar having to work out. There are no good LT options in free agency, it's draft or very likely be worse than last year. At least Okung gave us 7ish games last year, we don't have anything near that as it stands.

I kind of knew you would pick Brown but though Brown wasn't a statistic monster he was exactly what we needed.  We had Okung signed and should have filled that role we desperately needed at OT.  If we could have seen into the future and known he would be out half the season I could understand but our defense would have been the worse in the league. 

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I kind of knew you would pick Brown but though Brown wasn't a statistic monster he was exactly what we needed.  We had Okung signed and should have filled that role we desperately needed at OT.  If we could have seen into the future and known he would be out half the season I could understand but our defense would have been the worse in the league. 

Brown is great and has a very bright future. I would still take a LT all day, that class was that good. A lot of us were very vocal about it. With Hutney here and Little being his guy, there was 0% that was ever going to happen. That's on Tepper. He should have fired Hurney with Ron and we are still trying to dig out of that hole.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

Brown is great and has a very bright future. I would still take a LT all day, that class was that good. A lot of us were very vocal about it. With Hutney here and Little being his guy, there was 0% that was ever going to happen. That's on Tepper. He should have fired Hurney with Ron and we are still trying to dig out of that hole.

Agreed he should have fired Hurney when he let Rivera go. 

You actually bring up just another reason why we didn't go LT. Little.  He's so bad he's forgetful.  Totally forgot about Little.  Sadly, Little is added to Hurney's list of terrible 2nd round picks.  

Okung was brought in to fix the left side and mentor a 2nd year LT.  Both failed miserably.   The mentality was we address LT and could take Brown.  I understand your after the fact mentality (not to insult you) and we let two really good LT go to other teams but hindsight is 20/20. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Agreed he should have fired Hurney when he let Rivera go. 

You actually bring up just another reason why we didn't go LT. Little.  He's so bad he's forgetful.  Totally forgot about Little.  Sadly, Little is added to Hurney's list of terrible 2nd round picks.  

Okung was brought in to fix the left side and mentor a 2nd year LT.  Both failed miserably.   The mentality was we address LT and could take Brown.  I understand your after the fact mentality (not to insult you) and we let two really good LT go to other teams but hindsight is 20/20. 

I wish I could say it was hindsight but that path was laid out in detail on this forum pre-draft and then came to fruition throughout the year. With Hurney's history it was all very predictable if you look at the facts at that time. 

I just hope LT is the second target on our needs list for this draft.