Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Darnold part of the draft day strategy


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I think it’s entirely possible that in addition to hedging our bets with Darnold in case a top four QB doesn’t drop to us, it could also have been a strategy to make teams behind us think we’re not going to draft a QB and therefore have no reason to trade ahead of us. Fitterer’s comment about changing nothing on our board might be next level gamesmanship, causing teams behind us to think that if that’s what Fitterer is saying publicly then his real plan is not to get a QB, making it more likely a QB falls to us. 
 

if that’s the case, then it was a cheap price to pay to increase the likelihood our guy falls to us. If not, it was a cheap price to pay to take a chance on a guy that’s never been put in a situation to succeed and then surround him with talent. 

I think the only QB we draft if he’s there is Trey Lance. But I think Fitterers next level gamesmanship is controlling pick #8.

The Falcons, Lions, Dolphins, Bengals aren’t trading out of their picks. They aren’t going to miss the opportunity to get who they want. That makes pick 8 very very valuable ahead of DEN if a QB is there. 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, unicar15 said:

I think the only QB we draft if he’s there is Trey Lance. But I think Fitterers next level gamesmanship is controlling pick #8.

The Falcons, Lions, Dolphins, Bengals aren’t trading out of their picks. They aren’t going to miss the opportunity to get who they want. That makes pick 8 very very valuable ahead of DEN if a QB is there. 

If/when a qb falls and we can finagle a 2nd out of Denver to switch spots then Fit is playing next level chess

  • Pie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If/when a qb falls and we can finagle a 2nd out of Denver to switch spots then Fit is playing next level chess

I was thinking more along the lines of pitting DEN and a team like WAS (Hurney) against each other...and getting a lot more than a 2nd. 

  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

We are not taking a QB at 8.  It's over, stop with the dreaming.  It's more likely we use 8 on the best LT or trade back if they can get a good haul.  If a QB is sitting there they will easily get a 1st and 2nd,  making losing next years 2nd an after thought.

In the scenario where a QB has slid to us, why do you think that we would suddenly get a haul that a team in front of us wouldn't?

In most of those "slide" scenarios historically, the draft media turned out to be more hyped on a prospect than the NFL front offices were. That probably means we aren't as likely to get a haul of picks in a trade up for a sliding QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I like the cut of your jib

Denver has basically three realistic choices (for a team who thinks they’re a Qb away):

1 - Trade up (Falcons or Panthers) - Falcons are going to be way more expensive. I also don’t think they’re taking a QB with Ryan still able to produce. They’re going to go after more weapons bc they think they’re win now mode.

2 - Draft a QB in the second round or late first round. Maybe they trade back.

3 - Trade for Jimmy G (49ers saying they want a 1st which probably means they want at least multiple 2nd round picks. 

 

The Broncos are in a bad spot...I thinkn they’d do do what it takes to get a falling QB..including giving up a 1st next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

In the scenario where a QB has slid to us, why do you think that we would suddenly get a haul that a team in front of us wouldn't?

In most of those "slide" scenarios historically, the draft media turned out to be more hyped on a prospect than the NFL front offices were. That probably means we aren't as likely to get a haul of picks in a trade up for a sliding QB.

Might be right,  might be the team ahead of us didnt want to trade out.  I am more than happy sticking at 8 and double dipping O Linemen.  I just think there are way more options available to us now

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

In the scenario where a QB has slid to us, why do you think that we would suddenly get a haul that a team in front of us wouldn't?

In most of those "slide" scenarios historically, the draft media turned out to be more hyped on a prospect than the NFL front offices were. That probably means we aren't as likely to get a haul of picks in a trade up for a sliding QB.

Maybe the teams in front of us are going to get their guy. If QBs fly off the board 1-3 (which appears they will)...Going to be hard to pass on guys who are the best players in the draft. Chase, Pitts, Sewell to the Falcons, Bengals, Dolphins basically leaves the Lions as the trade out candidate. They really going to pass on Waddle and Slater when OT and WR are their two biggest needs and they just traded for a QB who they want to win now?

If the Panthers are in the same situation the only way I’d want them to trade out at #8 is if they’re getting 1st round picks in 2021 and 2022. Otherwise take Waddle or Slater as BPA. 

Edited by unicar15
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Might be right,  might be the team ahead of us didnt want to trade out.  I am more than happy sticking at 8 and double dipping O Linemen.  I just think there are way more options available to us now

I don't think the options have changed, nor do I think that we should abandon a QB prospect if they fall to us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Maybe the teams in front of us are going to get their guy. If QBs fly off the board 1-3 (which appears they will)...Going to be hard to pass on guys who are the best players in the draft. Chase, Pitts, Sewell to the Falcons, Bengals, Dolphins basically leaves the Lions as the trade out candidate. They really going to pass on Waddle and Slater when OT and WR are their two biggest needs and they just traded for a QB who they want to win now?

If the Panthers are in the same situation the only way I’d want them to trade out at #8 is if they’re getting 1st round picks in 2021 and 2022. Otherwise take Waddle or Slater as BPA. 

There are a lot of variables to crunch for these scenarios. If it is a team outside the top 12 trying to trade up into the top 8, there is a reasonable chance the price could get high(potential to miss out on your guy if you trade down that far). However, if it is just a marginal move down(say, 5 from 9) this is a deal that might make sense for both teams and be easier to close. Conversely, you also have the scenarios in which perhaps a top 8 team doesn't really "love" the players left more than the guys they are looking at in the 12-16 range. 

It's very tough to tell what will go down or how likely or unlikely these trade up/down scenarios are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If a QB that New England likes is available at 8, any chance that they trade JC Jackson + 15 to move up to 8? We would still get a franchise-caliber starting LT at 15 (Darrisaw/Vera-Tucker) and a stud CB1 that is only 25 years old. 

We would then be able to add another game changing player at 39 and already have our LT and CB1 of the future locked in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI: Atlanta is reportedly getting multiple offers for the number four pick.

If there was any thought of dissuading teams from trading up, I'd say it's not working.

  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...