• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Regarding fifth year options

Mr. Scot

12 minutes ago, frankw said:

As a Panthers fan old enough to remember the days of folks declaring David Gettis the next goat I cannot understand why some want so badly to treat DJ Moore like the last kid picked at dodgeball or something. My god just appreciate what ya got!

The same folks who declared Gettis a goat are doing the same with Moore.

And just like with Gettis they won't give it up until he is out of the league. 

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Honest question - can you name 10-15 receivers you'd rather have/think are notably better than DJ Moore going into 2021? I'd personally put Adams, Hopkins, Julio (though he's on the backside of his career, even if only slightly), and Evans as locks and Hill, Michael Thomas, Diggs, Robinson, Godwin, Thielen, and maybe even Kupp and Woods as arguable/in the same tier where they might do one or two things better but not everything across the board. Of those guys though all of them are older than DJ.

I'll also note that the $11MM number is right around what Samuel and Agholor are averaging per year and just above what Boyd, Fuller, and Shepard are making. Any of those guys on your list?

let's not underrate the fact that Dj has constantly put up numbers while enduring piss-poor QB play, AND 3 other players had > 1000 yards last year. He was NOT force fed the ball. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

How is DJ even mentioned in that sentence?  Does this person even cover the NFL?  I mean, BOTH of our receivers were in the top 15 last year for receiving yardage.  Our WR's are legit. 

And I can't believe I just said that about the Carolina Panthers.  It's been way too long, but here we are.

No. The long running column, Monday Morning Quarterback is about crochet.

6 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

The same folks who declared Gettis a goat are doing the same with Moore.

And just like with Gettis they won't give it up until he is out of the league. 

David only netted 500 yards in his best season with the team though. Moore has eclipsed 1100 yards in consecutive seasons with a one armed Cam Newton Kyle Allen Will Grier Teddy Bridgewater and a quarterback from the xfl.

Am I saying throw him a blank check? No. But should we be declaring him possibly the next Kelvin Benjamin parking cars in a few years when he is entering his third season the same age as kb was as a rookie? Like many things it's somewhere in the middle but the upcoming season will give us the answers we seek.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, shaqattaq said:

Yep, and still work on a long term deal, obviously. FWIW, his 5th yr option would be $11.1M.

https://overthecap.com/fifth-year-option-projections/

That would be less than and replace Robbie's expiring 12M this season, I think it's a real likely hood we see a receiver come in earlier than some may expect via the draft. 

Robbie will be 30 after this season, so it will be interesting to see what the team decides to do. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, KSpan said:

Honest question - can you name 10-15 receivers you'd rather have/think are notably better than DJ Moore going into 2021?

S Diggs

D Adams

D Hopkins

M Thomas

J Jones

J Jefferson

C Godwin

A Cooper

T Hill

A Thielen

M Evans

AJ Brown

C Ridley

DK Metcalf

21 minutes ago, frankw said:

David only netted 500 yards in his best season with the team though. Moore has eclipsed 1100 yards in consecutive seasons with a one armed Cam Newton Kyle Allen Will Grier Teddy Bridgewater and a quarterback from the xfl.

Am I saying throw him a blank check? No. But should we be declaring him possibly the next Kelvin Benjamin parking cars in a few years when he is entering his third season the same age as kb was as a rookie? Like many things it's somewhere in the middle but the upcoming season will give us the answers we seek.

Moore is a MUCH better reciever than Gettis. Both are/were overrated on here because they wear/wore black and blue.

15 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

S Diggs

D Adams

D Hopkins

M Thomas

J Jones

J Jefferson

C Godwin

A Cooper

T Hill

A Thielen

M Evans

AJ Brown

C Ridley

DK Metcalf

A solid list of 15, but none of whom are players with recently established market value of $11MM or more (Agholor, Samuel, etc) and many of whom are 5-10 years older than DJ. I don't agree with all of them being definitely better than DJ but either way am still not seeing an argument against the 5th year option here.

DJ Moore is an important piece of our offense. He has produced and proven durable- something that can't be said for many other receivers, including some of the ones that were previously listed as possibly being better than DJ. The 5th year option should be picked up soon I'd think.