• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good Article on Sam Darnold

ladypanther

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Panthers have already confirmed that they're basically treating Darnold like a rookie. Rhule specifically referred to his time with the Jets as being equivalent to his "junior and senior years".

I don't recall ever seeing a team take two rookies in the same year and ask them to compete for the starting job. Hell, coaching up one rookie is difficult enough.

Taking another quarterback with a high pick would be an absolute dumbass move.

Lots of smart people think the Panthers could simply draft, say, Justin Fields and let the best man win. Well, that’s crazy for a multitude of reasons. The first is that you can’t develop two QBs within the practice-time straitjacket of the new CBA. The second is that they will have traded picks for Darnold and rather than support their QB, spent serious draft capital on a second quarterback. This thus ensures whoever the QB is has a much weaker team around him — the No. 1 pick this year and the No. 2 and No. 4 pick next year. It’s nuts. I’m not saying it won’t happen; how can I know? I’m saying it’s crazy if it happens. I know a very savvy professional gambler through my involvement with BetPrep, Brad Feinberg of NBC Sports, who has a decent position on the Panthers over their total this year; he said if Carolina drafts a QB, it’s devastating to their win probability. He has discounted the possibility of a QB being drafted by the Panthers in Round 1 almost completely.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Panthers have already confirmed that they're basically treating Darnold like a rookie. Rhule specifically referred to his time with the Jets as being equivalent to his "junior and senior years".

I don't recall ever seeing a team take two rookies in the same year and ask them to compete for the starting job. Hell, coaching up one rookie is difficult enough.

Oh, no doubt. I think there is a very small chance they get "their guy", even if there is one, and have absolutely no data to support my theory. I'm just saying that if Wilson (for example) falls, he's the pick. I personally am all in for a LT. The more articles like this I read, the more I am optimistic about Darnold. Certainly, the poor bastard never had a chance in NY.

55 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You mean quarterbacks picked in the first round aren't guaranteed to be great? 🤔

I see people saying stuff like "keep trying, double your chances", etc but to me that'd be like taking a quarterback in the first round and then taking another one in the second. You know, just in case...

The whole idea just sounds goofy to me.

You mean trading three first round picks just so that a message board user can be "entertained" isn't a viable team building strategy?

It wasn’t just the Jets fail, he was failed his RS sophomore year at USC.  For some unfathomable reason, the OC changed the offensive system his final year to this “gumbo” offense that exposed his worse traits, basically handcuffing his ability to make plays on the fly.  Losing four of his starting linemen to the draft didn’t help, also losing JuJu and his outlet, Adoree Jackson on offense.

Who knows how much was his circumstances (Sam also didn’t help himself) or simply poor coaching and losing protection and weapons contributed to reckless behavior....he takes more chances than he should when tailing.

I think everyone is about to find out how much was Sam, or his circumstances...he now has the coaching and weapons.  Hope he’s not broken.

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Cousins and Griffin on the WFT. Both were solid, Griffin couldn’t stay healthy. Speaking of which, has Darnold ever played a full 16 game season?

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

You mean quarterbacks picked in the first round aren't guaranteed to be great? 🤔

I see people saying stuff like "keep trying, double your chances", etc but to me that'd be like taking a quarterback in the first round and then taking another one in the second. You know, just in case...

The whole idea just sounds goofy to me.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again, first round quarterbacks aren't guaranteed to be franchise quarterbacks either.

That, plus if Darnold actually is good, then you stupidly wasted a first round pick when you could have used it on a player to make your team better.

50 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Thank you Mr. Scott!!! 

It's always great to hear someone make sense in the final days leading up to the draft. This QB nonsense drives me crazy. I honestly can't get my head around this constant talk of drafting a QB at 8. Without saying which QB will ultimately be the better QB, just the entire idea is illogical and it never stops. I'm personally hoping to sweet baby Jesus that Lance and Fields are both there at 8 just so there isn't any remaining doubt about this subject when we pass on both of them. LT, CB, WR are all possibilities whether at 8 or somewhere else in the first but QB is definitely NOT!

Edited by Panthers Rhule

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Cousins and Griffin on the WFT. Both were solid, Griffin couldn’t stay healthy. Speaking of which, has Darnold ever played a full 16 game season?

Cousins was drafted in the fourth round. And as to them both being "solid" in Washington, I think that's highly generous.

But hey, if Darnold has injury issues, then the smart thing to do is draft a tackle to protect him.

• Pie 2

55 minutes ago, BrianS said:

The thing you're not thinking of is that Darnold already has two strikes against him.  I grant you a world of "But the Jets".  However, consider what we'd be saying if Darnold was at (pretty much) any other club.  "Failure".

Do you want to bet your franchise on a guy one strike from being labeled a failure?  I don't!  That's why I am 100% ok with drafting a QB if one we like is there - in whatever round.

I hope Darnold succeeds, but hope isn't something you should base your franchise around.  TB5, Grier and PJ are not valid fallback plans.  We know who they are and it's not NFL QB's.

If we're that hard up for a backup, then we can take Mills, Mond, Trask or Newman in a later round. There's really no need to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB when you already have Darnold...unless you know--deep down in your heart--definitively that the QB that falls to you is your franchise QB. I would bet that Rhule and company don't have that kind of conviction about the QBs that could fall to eight. They not only traded for Sam, but they're shopping the 8th pick in case different scenarios happen Thursday night.  

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

It wasn’t just the Jets fail, he was failed his RS sophomore year at USC.  For some unfathomable reason, the OC changed the offensive system his final year to this “gumbo” offense that exposed his worse traits, basically handcuffing his ability to make plays on the fly.  Losing four of his starting linemen to the draft didn’t help, also losing JuJu and his outlet, Adoree Jackson on offense.

Who knows how much was his circumstances (Sam also didn’t help himself) or simply poor coaching and losing protection and weapons contributed to reckless behavior....he takes more chances than he should when tailing.

I think everyone is about to find out how much was Sam, or his circumstances...he now has the coaching and weapons.  Hope he’s not broken.

I mean he was playing against PAC 12 defenses?? I’m willing to give some benefit of the doubt for the Jets situation, but an elite NFL QB, should be dominate in most college teams despite the circumstances. His turnovers at USC might be the biggest red flag honestly.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Cousins was drafted in the fourth round. And as to them both being "solid" in Washington, I think that's highly generous.

But hey, if Darnold has injury issues, then the smart thing to do is draft a tackle to protect him.

Cousins was in the 4th round and Darnold was the equivalent of the 3rd round this year. They were in the same draft which is what you questioned. Griffin was voted to the Pro Bowl, won rookie of the year, had the highest rating and TD to INT record by a rookie before injuring his LCL and ACL. Injuries are hard to predict. Cousins is still a starting QB in this league so I would consider him solid.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Or since you know, we dont really have a competent LT on the roster

Or don’t go all in on a QB that has shown TO issues on both the college and professional level, that also has injury concerns, that was traded for the equivalent of a 3rd round pick. Just another school of thought...

• Pie 1