• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In Steelers land, Art Rooney is the final boss

LinvilleGorge

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/27/mike-tomlin-on-steelers-draft-room-art-rooney-is-the-boss/

“Mr. Rooney’s the boss,” Tomlin said. “Kevin and I have worked so well and so long together that we can kind of communicate nonverbally in those moments. But at the end of the day, Art Rooney is the boss.”

This is the environment Tepper knew as a minority owner and I get the vibe that it's the same story in Panthers land. At the end of the day, if Fields is there at #8 and Tepper wants an exciting new face of the franchise at QB, he's our pick IMO.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Tomlin's ducking the question.

Per various sources, he's actually the guy who has final say now. For years it was Colbert, but the team has shifted to Tomlin over the past few years. It's been reported as one of the reasons why Colbert is only year to year now.

As to Tepper, he said that he's not an evaluator and he's not going to try to be one, which is good because the last thing I want is the least football knowledgeable guy in the room being the one driving decisions.

Edited by Mr. Scot

20 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tomlin's ducking the question.

Per various sources, he's actually the guy who has final say now. For years it was Colbert, but the team has shifted to Tomlin over the past few years. It's been reported as one of the reasons why Colbert is only year to year now.

As to Tepper, he said that he's not an evaluator and he's not going to try to be one, which is good because the last thing I want is the least football knowledgeable guy in the room being the one driving decisions.

Tepper also said he can be the tie breaker.  

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

Show me a billionaire who doesn't have control. You don't get that rich by giving much away in the end.

It's a fantasy Tepper isn't involved. It's how he does his owning and if they can make that a positive.

Yeah, that dynamic has been working really well for Washington, Dallas, Cincinnati and San Diego.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He doesn't have to be.

Rhule has final say.

Correct, he doesn't have to be but he said he could be. And I don't see that as him trying to be a talent evaluator. If half of the staff is saying they want Fields and the other half is saying they want someone else then it's really him him imposing his philosophy that the QB is that important. Most people would agree that Belichick is the best Coach ever but he apparently shouldn't be choosing WRs in the draft. No reason to think we should trust Rhules judgement on a QB over our other talent evaluators, he already signed off on Bridgewater and that wasn't a good decision.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, that dynamic has been working really well for Washington, Dallas, Cincinnati and San Diego.

Well duh big buddy. I never said I like or dislike it. Or that we can do jack about that.

The failure in all of those places is their owner first. Hell, it sounds like the Seattle’s owners may be ghost and look what happens when there is zero pressure, that team hasn't been doing all that well the last few years. 

It's all a hell of a dynamic and I think it's fair to say we are still seeing if Tepper is going to be a Jones or a Rooney.