• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Total cost for Teddy

AU-panther

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

It will be nice. You always have dead cap (most of it is built into overall cap hits), but Marty was truly impressive. $30M of our $39M in 2021 dead cap was from people signed in 2020 or not cut in 2020. I mean that’s just awful decision making when you are cutting people 1 year after signing them to starter deals and do it multiple times every year.

Don’t forget that Paradis and Reddick will cost 13.2M for their voidable years. Shaq will cost 18M(or 12 to cut). I don’t think wasting cap space is a tradition the Panthers are likely to stop anytime soon. At least from the looks of things. 

• Beer 2

It's going to be sad when this thread has to be made next year. 

It's a repeat. Last off-season the people with any objective reasoning saw all we were paying for Teddy, including losing compensation picks. This off-season it's Sam for 'basically a third', meanwhile it's really 3 picks (including a second, and if you argue otherwise please come back to this thread in a few days after the draft and reason how it's still somehow counts as a 'basically a third' when it's effectively an in-season pick at that time), cap space, and quite a lot more cap space if they pick up his fifth year option.

However, the truly sad this is Sam is much much much more of a gamble with Teddy. Last off-season those that knew Teddy, knew, and tried to explain what we were getting. This off-season it's similar, though I guess there's an outside (very outside) shot Sam somehow sheds all his negative traits, and makes use of his athleticism. Though that is absurdly unlikely.

• Beer 2

14 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Let's don't forget we have us drafting at 8 to thank him for as well.

Kyle or Grier should have been the play, nope Tepper doing stupid stuff once again rules the day.

I'm not convinced at all that we'd have a worse record with Grier or Kyle starting all season... In fact I think with Allen we may have had 1 or 2 more wins even.

• Beer 1

Just now, t96 said:

I'm not convinced at all that we'd have a worse record with Grier or Kyle starting all season... In fact I think with Allen we may have had 1 or 2 more wins even.

Honestly, I'd have been fine with that.  It would have been a very smart decision.

Save a poo ton of cap, and kept the 3rd comp pick.

Flatly awful decision, and I will continue to blame Tepper.

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Honestly, I'd have been fine with that.  It would have been a very smart decision.

Save a poo ton of cap, and kept the 3rd comp pick.

Flatly awful decision, and I will continue to blame Tepper.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree signing Teddy was a bad decision. I was just responding to your point about us having Teddy to thank for drafting 8th (presumably instead of picking higher). I don't think he really hurt us in that regard. It's not like without Teddy we'd have been in play for Lawrence or Wilson... Unless the coaching staff blatantly tanked (which wasn't going to happen no matter who was at QB) we weren't going to realistically be in play for the top handful of picks regardless. 

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Teddy's signing was bad at the outset and steadily sunk to being one of the worst in franchise history. Not challenging Gilbert for the crown or nearly as atrocious signings like Chuck Smith or Matt Kalil, but pretty damn bad.

Man it might be worse than Matt Kalil. 

Kalil only made 25.6 Million for a year of mediocrity and a year on IR. 

Teddy is walking out the door with 31 Million for one year of subpar QB play.

No bueno.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, t96 said:

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree signing Teddy was a bad decision. I was just responding to your point about us having Teddy to thank for drafting 8th (presumably instead of picking higher). I don't think he really hurt us in that regard. It's not like without Teddy we'd have been in play for Lawrence or Wilson... Unless the coaching staff blatantly tanked (which wasn't going to happen no matter who was at QB) we weren't going to realistically be in play for the top handful of picks regardless. 

Oh, I agree with ya, wasn't trying not to.

And no, I don't want players or coaches to even consider "tanking"....ever.

You and I both think that Allen, for pennies on the dollar, could very well have outperformed Teddy last season...that's tough to stomach once you factor in the cost.

34 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Seriously? Grier? Did you watch him in 2019? Dude was complete trash. Allen was light years better than Grier in 2019. We didn’t even attempt to give Grier another chance when Teddy was hurt or at the end of the year. I would have started him to end the year since we were out of contention. Maybe he would have gotten us an L against Haskins. I think Haskins was way better than Grier.

I think our defense, offensive weapons, OL and coaching all wound up being good enough that yes even with Grier we probably have a similar record. Couldn't get much worse than Teddy at times, especially in the clutch.

Yep. I hated the signing from the start, mostly because I thought he would be an average QB who would make us something like a .500 team and keep us out of the running for one of the top QBs in the draft. Turns out he was worse than that and we still ended up out of the running for one of the top QBs in the draft so we had to trade a 2nd round pick to get Sam Darnold. 

Teddy Bridgewater was ALWAYS a bad decision, even if it worked out the best it could have and we got who we thought we were getting: just a competent game manager. No hindsight 20/20 bullshit on this one.