Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

DaQuan Jones on The Golden Calf of Bristol


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, it is hilarious to see the Jags hire a dude that was known to bolt when things got stressful(or rather the NCAA heat got too much). 

This is the Saban hire all over again. He may well quit during the season.

Saban is just a great college coach.   His approach IMO just works better there.  But Saban doesn't create clusterfugs in house.  That's Urban's thing.  Urban might of won in college (at universities that could pull in and give him insane talent edges).... but he left them all in a mess.   No reason to think this is any different.  And he is off to a predictable start.  Young lockerroom and immediately brings in a circus clown.

 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CRA said:

Nothing about it works IMO.   Nothing about it makes any sense. 

Urban remains a horrible hire and it will predictably end horribly.   I firmly believe what Urban will do is get Tim into the endzone.....and then people will act like that is something.

The Golden Calf of Bristol isn't a TE.  The Golden Calf of Bristol isn't a RB.   He isn't even in the ballpark in terms of being an actual RB as the Jags #3 tailback.   The Golden Calf of Bristol only works as a wildcat QB and even that is debatable at this stage.   Urban just can't come out and say that.    So the talk is well, maybe we will have him play something else. 

In a max of 3 years, Urban will have to go take time off from football to see about his health.   

Yeah, I don't see him working out at the NFL level.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, CRA said:

Saban is just a great college coach.   His approach IMO just works better there.  But Saban doesn't create clusterfugs in house.  That's Urban's thing.  Urban might of won in college (at universities that could pull in and give him insane talent edges).... but he left them all in a mess.   No reason to think this is any different.  And he is off to a predictable start.  Young lockerroom and immediately brings in a circus clown.

 

That's actually unfair. Urban had a lot more success at the lower levels of college football than Saban did. Honestly, Urban has always proven to be successful at every stop. The overwhelming bulk of Saban's success has been at football factory traditional powers. 

That's part of the reason he was such a failure at the Dolphons, IMO. He legitimately isn't an elite coach. It's a lot easier to be successful with an ultimated recruiting budget and staff budget. 

Edited by kungfoodude
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CRA said:

he hasn't touched a football field in 8 years.   And he has never played TE.  That isn't going to work. 

I fully believe Urban is going to take Trevor off the field and insert The Golden Calf of Bristol short yardage package on offense.    Which is stupid, yet predictable. 

True, but FWIW, he was still playing baseball, got to believe he was forced to stay in shape.  If he tries the taysom hill approach, he'll be trash, if they use him as a TE/FB/WR hybrid, I think he could be alright.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Carolina Cajun said:

True, but FWIW, he was still playing baseball, got to believe he was forced to stay in shape.  If he tries the taysom hill approach, he'll be trash, if they use him as a TE/FB/WR hybrid, I think he could be alright.

He isn't likely to be alright because he is going to be learning new positions in his mid-30's. Had he been making this switch when he was drafted, we might be looking at him as an elite player winding down a successful career, rather than a sideshow career buoyed by media hype.

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kungfoodude said:

That's actually unfair. Urban had a lot more success at the lower levels of college football than Saban did. Honestly, Saban has always proven to be successful at every stop. The overwhelming bulk of Saban's success has been at football factory traditional powers. 

That's part of the reason he was such a failure at the Dolphons, IMO. He legitimately isn't an elite coach. It's a lot easier to be successful with an ultimated recruiting budget and staff budget. 

I mean, he went 9-7 in his first season there.  6-10 in the second.  Obviously not great, but they weren't TERRIBLE, they just didn't have a QB.  I think Saban could have had success if he stuck it out, but I do agree he's a much better college coach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mage said:

I mean, he went 9-7 in his first season there.  6-10 in the second.  Obviously not great, but they weren't TERRIBLE, they just didn't have a QB.  I think Saban could have had success if he stuck it out, but I do agree he's a much better college coach.

I don't think he would have has sustained success. His attitude and style of coaching is more likely to be successful in college than the NFL. Guys with that style(like Tom Coughlin) have a limit on how long the players can stand them. Once the losing starts, all that military dictatorship style coaching starts to wear thin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think he would have has sustained success. His attitude and style of coaching is more likely to be successful in college than the NFL. Guys with that style(like Tom Coughlin) have a limit on how long the players can stand them. Once the losing starts, all that military dictatorship style coaching starts to wear thin.

Our current head coach considers both Coughlin and Parcells to be mentors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think he would have has sustained success. His attitude and style of coaching is more likely to be successful in college than the NFL. Guys with that style(like Tom Coughlin) have a limit on how long the players can stand them. Once the losing starts, all that military dictatorship style coaching starts to wear thin.

I mean Coughlin won 2 Super Bowls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our current head coach considers both Coughlin and Parcells to be mentors.

He seems to be more of a players coach than either of those guys. TBD how it all works out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That's actually unfair. Urban had a lot more success at the lower levels of college football than Saban did. Honestly, Urban has always proven to be successful at every stop. The overwhelming bulk of Saban's success has been at football factory traditional powers. 

That's part of the reason he was such a failure at the Dolphons, IMO. He legitimately isn't an elite coach. It's a lot easier to be successful with an ultimated recruiting budget and staff budget. 

If he stayed at those other schools for more than 1 or 2 years.....I suspect there would have been issues there too.

But yeah, his gimmicky college offense does work.  No doubt about it. 

The major Urban knock is the environments he creates and problems. 

Saban and Dabo have created elite and long term programs and cultures.   I don't consider them elite scheme and X and O guys.   I consider them good big picture leaders for college programs.   I mean they both get their hate and some of it is just.  That wasn't Urban though.  I don't put him with those type college coaches. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He seems to be more of a players coach than either of those guys. TBD how it all works out.

Couple of articles that have been written about him portray him as a hardass to both players and staff alike.

Remember he stopped practice and jumped all over guys that were being lazy at the Senior Bowl.

Edit: Found the discussion we had on it a while back (The Wrath of Rhule)

Edited by Mr. Scot
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...