• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Understanding the personnel Moves: The Panther's Wide Zone Blocking Scheme

MHS831

Had a feeling that was the old Alex Gibbs style.

(man, that guy is a piece of sh-t)

Super effective scheme for running the ball though. Shanahan regularly had average backs be thousand yard rushers using it in Denver.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's awesome to have guys who are truly elite players in that you could put them on the field in any system and they're going to be great. But the salary cap dictates you're not going to have many of those on your roster. The next best thing is to target guys who are very good at specific elements that fit your scheme.

Steelers have been living off that formula for decades now.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Good organizations do. You have to. There's only one position on the field that eliteness is required to consistently compete for championships. Specific positional weakness can be schemed around at every other spot.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Good organizations do. You have to. There's only one position on the field that eliteness is required to consistently compete for championships. Specific positional weakness can be schemed around at every other spot.

If you have coaches that are smart enough to do it.

We haven't always had that.

• Pie 4

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I have been watching in agony for the past decade as they constantly draft mid to late round WR and never miss a beat.

Same can't be said for their secondary tho lmao.

• Beer 1

Just now, Rags said:

I have been watching in agony for the past decade as they constantly draft mid to late round WR and never miss a beat.

Same can't be said for their secondary tho lmao.

Secondary used to be stellar back when they had guys like Rod Woodson.

Part of me wonders if that area hasn't fallen off since Tomlin took over, but I haven't looked hard enough at it to say.

I do remember some people thought Tomlin was kind of a misfit for the Steelers since he was primarily a Cover Two guy and they were married to the zone blitz.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not sure that we've ever had that. IMO, the difference between good coaches and great coaches is that good coaches can field a great team when given a roster that fits well to their scheme. A great coach can tweak his schemes to fit the talent at hand and field a great team even when the roster may not fit what he'd ideally like to do.

Phil Snow impressed the hell out of me last year. I thought he was likely going to be in over his head in the NFL. But that guy took a rag tag mismatched defensive roster and fielded a not terrible defense using a scheme that really didn't jive with what he was known for running. Our D wasn't good, but it was a long way from being the worst D in the league and honestly that's what I expected it to be.

We sure as hell didn't have that under Rivera and Fox.

Fox was famously too damn stubborn to adjust the coverage scheme against Arizona even though we had a corner capable of shadowing Fitzgerald and they didn't have jack sh-t outside of him at the time.

• Pie 2