• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What we need to see from Sammy D in OTAs

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

When you willingly purchase something it's no longer your money.  Buying a car doesn't give you say in the company. Too funny.

Not really the point. My money helps pay his salary though. So the statement that "You're not paying his salary" would be incorrect. Of course I don't have a say where the money goes but I sure as hell can bitch about how they spend it. I'll let my my boy big Tepp decide if they allocated my money correctly.

Edited by SmittysLawnGuy
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, NAS said:

Because it was a total rebuild.  Everyone thought we would be getting the #1 pick in 2021 so you can't possibly compare 2020 to 2019.

But not because of our offense!  We were looking like a top pick because our defense in 2019 was historically bad and old!  We lost our best DB to free agency and our HoF MLB retired. 

We were a middle of the pack offense in 2019.  Everyone thought that with the pieces we had, with Joe Brady at the controls and TB5 upgrading what we saw from Kyle Allen we'd be a better offense.  We were slightly worse.  All because TB5 was anti-clutch.

Again, what specific things on our offense grade out as below average?  The only one I can come up with is the TE room, and that may be underselling them a little.  Our skill positions are among the best in the league QB aside.  Our line is average to possibly above average.

Everything about our offense SCREAMS "Give us a franchise QB and we will light this league up!"

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You mean a Cam style leader, very vocal and "Alpha?" 

No...and he doesn't have to be to be good and effective. There's quite a few different types of effective leader.  Cam's, to a degree, was unique to him. Same with Jake. I think both were great. Sammy will find his own voice...or maybe he has found it.

If I had to guess, I would see Sam as being more closely resembling Rhule. The kind @MHS831 calls the Shepherd dog kind of leader.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

No...and he doesn't have to be to be good and effective. There's quite a few different types of effective leader.  Cam's, to a degree, was unique to him. Same with Jake. I think both were great. I see Sam as being more closely resembling Rhule. The kind @MHS831 calls the Shepherd dog kind of leader.

Okay, wasn't sure what your bar was for that. I don't personally believe everyone has to be a Peyton Manning type to be successful in the NFL(look at Aaron Rodgers, for instance).

Apparently Rhule is VERY vocal and animated, so I am not sure I see that in Darnold. He seems to be a "by example type."

Edited by kungfoodude

There are also QBs who appear reserved, cautious in front of the media, and entirely different in the locker room, a player his teammates respect. QBs have different styles, but achieve the same leadership qualities that make a group of players a team.

I’ve never heard, or read, Sam complaining, or even caring what the media writes about him, it was always about his team.

If you don’t think playing in the L.A. fishbowl, with ESPN headquarters down the street from SC, and personalities like Colin Cowherd, etc. showing up for practices hasn’t prepared him for not being intimidated by the big stage...don’t know what to tell you.  He also played for a University that is the only CFB blue blood on the West coast.  They’ve been groom from the moment they step on campus, on how to deal with the media.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Okay, wasn't sure what your bar was for that. I don't personally believe everyone has to be a Peyton Manning type to be successful in the NFL(look at Aaron Rodgers, for instance).

Apparently Rhule is VERY vocal and animated, so I am not sure I see that in Darnold. He seems to be a "by example type."

Yeah I think you are right. I think Sam is really charismatic and very positive, which will be a big bonus for him, but I also see him as expecting a lot from himself and working to getting the best out of himself as well as everyone around him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Not to even mention the potential 100M or more in salary that Darnold will make the next 5 years as opposed to a real rookie QB like Fields. Which makes exercising that 5th year option having no upside and all risk. Any comparison has to assume they play at a similar level. The initial trade was a little much but not too bad. But guaranteeing another 19M for no reason is. It’s Darnold/Horn - Fields/ Moton/Moore new deals. I’m having a hard time using basic math to make on any of that logical  financial sense. Maybe you will have better luck

If Darnold is making 100+ mil here the next 5 years then this math basically becomes less relevant. Even if Fields is as good as Darnold, you have your guy finally and you are just glad as a franchise you do. 

It creates more juggling every offseason but it's a lot easier to deal with that when you have a franchise QB.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, SmittysLawnGuy said:

Not really the point. My money helps pay his salary though. So the statement that "You're not paying his salary" would be incorrect. Of course I don't have a say where the money goes but I sure as hell can bitch about how they spend it. I'll let my my boy big Tepp decide if they allocated my money correctly.

The "it's not your money" crowd is just plain idiotic. It's basically saying whatever decision the franchise makes is above reproach and we the fans have no right to question. That is completely moronic. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, BrianS said:

But not because of our offense!  We were looking like a top pick because our defense in 2019 was historically bad and old!  We lost our best DB to free agency and our HoF MLB retired. 

We were a middle of the pack offense in 2019.  Everyone thought that with the pieces we had, with Joe Brady at the controls and TB5 upgrading what we saw from Kyle Allen we'd be a better offense.  We were slightly worse.  All because TB5 was anti-clutch.

Again, what specific things on our offense grade out as below average?  The only one I can come up with is the TE room, and that may be underselling them a little.  Our skill positions are among the best in the league QB aside.  Our line is average to possibly above average.

Everything about our offense SCREAMS "Give us a franchise QB and we will light this league up!"

TE, QB and likely OL will be below average on offense in 2021. Even so, we have the weapons to be a an upper half of the league offense. The only things that can torpedo us are bad QB play and/or bad OL play. Both are certainly possible.

6 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I'm onboard with this.  He's had 3 seasons under his belt.  Regardless of age he should know what's out there.  IMO his age was only a factor in bringing him here.  Young with some experience.

We're going to know, just like we knew with Teddy, after one season whether he has the tools, the confidence and leadership to run this team for the next 10+ years.

There won't be much of a difference between Darnold and Teddy if Darnold continually loses games over pour decisions.   Poor decision = inability to make all throws. 

I'm still hanging my hat that he will succeed here but you make a great point. 

We'll find out real soon which side gets to do its "I told you so's" to the other.

The first sign is how he does overall in the OTA's.

If he does well (don't see how he wouldn't), the next step is seeing what he does in Preseason games against opposing defenses(even if they're mostly vanilla).

And if he does well there, the final and TRUE test is Game 1 against that piece of garbage franchise.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1