• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former NFL LB makes Bold Statement on Panthers Defense

53 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

@CarolinaLivinstarts a thread to get folks a little optimistic and excited about the Defense, and you swoop in to put the ol kibosh on that. Can't you let the kids have just a little fun? After all, this is the time of year for fans to be excited for the coming season.

Optimism is not a disease.

Try to read that again and maybe understand what it is saying instead of just being emotional.

5 hours ago, BrianS said:

I am pretty optimistic about our defense.  We went from 31st in 2019 to 18th in 2020.  Effectively, the defense is already "average".  And we *clearly* got better.

My questions all center around who is in the middle of it all.  If Perryman can just not be Tahir Whitehead we'll be a LOT better.  We got gashed over and over in the run game because Whitehead was just awful. 

Stopping the run shorter will make distances longer, make the QB hold the ball a little longer.  Better coverage on the back end will make the QB hold the ball a little longer.  And after watching our line last year, they only need just a LITTLE more time to get home and our defense is gonna be legit.

I would hold off on the excitement yet. We gave up almost 30 points a game in 2019 but still gave up right at 26 last year. A small improvement but hardly enough to win more than you lose.  We were in the mid to low 20s in most categories like sack percentage, opponent third down conversion of almost 60%, etc. 

We were not a middle of the pack defense but rather a bottom 10 defense in most categories and I don't agree that it was forced by lack of personnel. The rookies played better than the vets and our 3-5-3 scheme was dismal and needs to stay in college. Snow will get better I hope and he surely has more talent but until he actually creates a good defense color me hopeful but not excited. 

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That's what I thought.

lol Did that make you feel better? I must have hit a nerve to get you all triggered like that. Try and keep your emotions in check, it ain't good for the ol blood pressure to get all worked up I tell ya what. 

27 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

lol Did that make you feel better? I must have hit a nerve to get you all triggered like that. Try and keep your emotions in check, it ain't good for the ol blood pressure to get all worked up I tell ya what. 

Maybe try both reading and comprehending at once. It works, I promise.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Maybe try both reading and comprehending at once. It works, I promise.

Dang dude, you just can't help yourself can you? It's ok, we all still think you are the bestest, and smartest. Now go ahead and get in the last word. 

22 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Top 10 wouldn't be a shock IMO. Our best defenders last year were young and still improving. On paper, our biggest weakness was CB and we made some serious moves there. I don't expect an elite D, but borderline top 10? Yeah, I can see that.

Horn, Jackson and Bouye has the potential to be a helluva CB group. The addition of Horn and Bouye takes a ton of pressure off of Jackson and lets him take his more nature spot against a WR2 or in the slot, although I imagine AJ will start the season as slot CB.

• Pie 1

Don't know if it is a bold statement as much as an obvious one. The jury is out on the offense because of the offensive line and a new quarterback. But there is no reason not to expect at minimum a top 15 defense in 2021 after going defense in the first round the last three years. When you consider other additions the ceiling should be within the top 10. One thing to note for all teams this upcoming season though is that 17th game. It's going to take some luck to make it out of the regular season mostly unscathed now.

• Pie 1