• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold's QBR was higher than Tannehill's

SBBlue

42 minutes ago, Snake said:

I just don't see us as a playoff team no matter how it pans out. Better than last year is a must even though its early in the process.

That's a fair assessment. Just show us improvement. I don't believe that is too much to ask.

I know some folks are thinking a run at the Playoffs, I'm not sure I would go that far just yet.

That said, if Sam goes off? The skies the limit. And that, I could dig.

6 hours ago, hepcat said:

Will Darnold look better than he did last season? 100% absolutely I guarantee it. Better coaching, better scheme, better playmakers, better culture, better everything.

Will Darnold perform better than Teddy Bridgewater? That's a tough thing to predict. Bridgewater played well at times but mainly failed in the red zone and at the end of games. If Darnold can perform around the same as Bridgewater but deliver more success in critical situations, the Panthers could be a playoff team.

He could also be a colossal failure if his psyche is broken and the Jets truly ruined him. 

Best way to make the best qbs look like they make bad decisions.  Rush him get him off his marks/out of his rhythm.  Prevent him from being able to step into his throws. Hit him.

All those things play into account, yet nobody wants to mention them when they are openly questioning a qb they haven't watched on a regular basis. 

Our staff has watched ever snap. Before they decided to go get him. 

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Best way to make the best qbs look like they make bad decisions.  Rush him get him off his marks/out of his rhythm.  Prevent him from being able to step into his throws. Hit him.

All those things play into account, yet nobody wants to mention them when they are openly questioning a qb they haven't watched on a regular basis. 

The question is, will he get that time here with our current OL?

I am not sure our OL is any better than the Jets but our scheme SHOULD help him avoid pressure. It did with Teddy.

10 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

The problem is, when you mention those things, there are folks that just ignore them as excuses. 

Plenty around here know that Sam didn't have the best circumstances in NY. We are hopeful that the situation here is more conducive to growth.

6 hours ago, frankw said:

Whether or not he takes the next step in processing on the field is what will separate Darnold from the Panthers lengthy list of failed quarterbacks who had potential yet were unable to put it all together ultimately.

What lengthy list of failed quarterbacks with potential?

Frank Reich? 10 year vet journeyman when he signed with the team.

Kerry Collins? Drafted by the Panthers in the first round. He should be on your list.

Steve Beuerlein? 9 year vet journeyman when he signed with the team. Pressed into the starting role when Collins quit.

Chris Weinke? Fourth round older rookie(26) drafted by the Panthers. Only won 2 games. Didn't have much potential.

Matt Lytle? Was a third string backup.

Dameyune Craig? Undrafted rookie that signed with Carolina. Was never more than a backup in the NFL.

Rodney Peete? Was a 37 year old journeyman when he signed with Carolina.

Randy Fasani? Fifth rounder drafted by the Panthers. Only played 4 games.

Jake Delhomme? 7 year backup when he signed with the Panthers.

Vinny Testaverde? Was signed out of retirement.

David Carr? Was a 5 year vet when he signed with the Panthers to be a backup. He was done mentally at this point.

Matt Moore? Undrafted rookie claimed off waviers by Carolina to be a third string backup.

Brian St Pierre? Another vet backup journeyman.

Cam Newton? He should be on your list. Was really good, but never quite put it all together.

Derek Anderson? Once again, a vet journeyman.

Taylor Heinicke? Undrafted 3 year vet claimed off waivers to be a third string backup.

Kyle Allen? Undrafted rookie signed by the Panthers to be a backup after Cam's season ended.

Will Grier? He can make your list. He was a third round draft pick.

Teddy Bridgewater? Six year vet signed to be Cam's replacement.

PJ Walker? 4 year undrafted backup.

Sam Darnold? He makes your list too. 3 year former first round pick. The biggest worry with Darnold should be if he is done mentally or not like Carr was.

That is not a lengthy list nor one filled with guys that had potential. Most were vet journeymen that were little more than backups or guys that were just washed up.

• Beer 2
  • Poo 1

54 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Kerry Collins? Drafted by the Panthers in the first round. He should be on your list.

Steve Beuerlein? 9 year vet journeyman when he signed with the team. Pressed into the starting role when Collins quit.

Chris Weinke? Fourth round older rookie(26) drafted by the Panthers. Only won 2 games. Didn't have much potential.

Dameyune Craig? Undrafted rookie that signed with Carolina. Was never more than a backup in the NFL.

David Carr? Was a 5 year vet when he signed with the Panthers to be a backup. He was done mentally at this point.

Matt Moore? Undrafted rookie claimed off waviers by Carolina to be a third string backup.

Cam Newton? He should be on your list. Was really good, but never quite put it all together.

Taylor Heinicke? Undrafted 3 year vet claimed off waivers to be a third string backup.

Kyle Allen? Undrafted rookie signed by the Panthers to be a backup after Cam's season ended.

Sam Darnold? He makes your list too. 3 year former first round pick. The biggest worry with Darnold should be if he is done mentally or not like Carr was.

That is not a lengthy list nor one filled with guys that had potential. Most were vet journeymen that were little more than backups or guys that were just washed up.

Did you really just put our best QB and a top 5-10 QB in the league in his prime on a list of a bunch of bums? You do know Cam won MVP and was 1st team all pro?

Its not his fault we had a shitty owner and coaches for his tenure.

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Snake said:

I just don't see us as a playoff team no matter how it pans out. Better than last year is a must even though its early in the process.

Panthers are closer than you think. 0-8 record in one score games in 2020. That will certainly change in 2021. Defense will be better.

Half those games go the Panthers way, the Panthers are 9-7 and a playoff team just last year. 

Edited by hepcat
  • Pie 1

58 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

All this because I used the word potential? We have a history of failed quarterbacks that isn't a contentious statement. Since the team was awarded a franchise only two stand out. Delhomme and Newton. That's a lot of failure in between for a franchise that has only been around since '95.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Panthers are closer than you think. 0-8 record in one score games in 2020. That will certainly change in 2021. Defense will be better.

Half those games go the Panthers way, the Panthers are 9-7 and a playoff team just last year. 

It may change, it may not. The QB and OL are still big question marks, although the overall roster talent appears to be much better than 2020.

Last year, it was obvious the Panthers were going to be terrible....and then they weren't quite as terrible as expected.

This year....I think it is a complete mystery. We could be good, we could be mediocre or we could be bad. I don't have a good read on what to expect for the first time in many years.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

30 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Did you really just put our best QB and a top 5-10 QB in the league in his prime on a list of a bunch of bums? You do know Cam won MVP and was 1st team all pro?

Its not his fault we had a shitty owner and coaches for his tenure.

I listed every QB I can recall playing for the Panthers and asked how where was the potential that was not lived up to. Cam was one of the only QBs that can be said had potential that wasn't lived up to despite what success he had.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

All this because I used the word potential? We have a history of failed quarterbacks that isn't a contentious statement. Since the team was awarded a franchise only two stand out. Delhomme and Newton. That's a lot of failure in between for a franchise that has only been around since '95.

What about Buerlein? He had a fairly successful run while he was here. But yeah, we have had our fair share of clunkers around here.

Jake = 7 years

Cam - 10 years

Buerlein - 5 years

That is 22 years, give or take. I would say that we did pretty well for the most part. But those lean years in between were real stinkers I tell ya what.

• Pie 1