• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns: Sam Darnold is going to be a great leader for the offense

WarPanthers89

The Panthers’ quest to find a franchise quarterback led them to acquire Sam Darnoldin the spring.

The No. 3 pick of the 2018 draft, Darnold didn’t have much success with the Jets. But he’s drawn some positive reviews from teammates for his performance during the offseason program with Carolina.

During a Wednesday appearance on NFL Network’s Good Morning Football, defensive end Brian Burns said he was happy when he heard the Panthers had picked up the young QB.

“When I met him, he’s a cool dude, down to earth, nice guy,” Burns said. “Watching him through OTAs, I can tell he has that dog mentality. It takes a little bit — he’s got to get comfortable with the team. He just got there. I can already tell he’s going to be a great addition to the group and a great leader for the offense.”

The Panthers picked up Darnold’s fifth-year option, so his $18.858 million salary is on the books for the 2022 season. But if Darnold doesn’t display enough potential to be the team’s long-term solution at QB, Carolina is likely to be back in the market next offseason.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/14/brian-burns-sam-darnold-is-going-to-be-a-great-leader-for-the-offense/

A346D625-7D68-4906-8B5B-DC3652042887.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, 1usctrojan said:

Couldn’t help it, I laughed.  

I'm actually really stoked that we got him.  I personally think hes going to kick ass this year.  Joe Brady is going to scheme his ever loving ass off and put him, and the offense in the best possible position to succeed.  

Then Joe will likely be gone to be a Head Coach for some other team (Bengals?) the following season. Such is life. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, joemac said:

I'm actually really stoked that we got him.  I personally think hes going to kick ass this year.  Joe Brady is going to scheme his ever loving ass off and put him, and the offense in the best possible position to succeed.  

Then Joe will likely be gone to be a Head Coach for some other team (Bengals?) the following season. Such is life. 

I hope so, but I can’t blame the nay sayers, or those with the mentality that he has to prove it first before they  call the signing a good one.  There are justified concerns.

I believe in Sammy, but I’m coming from a different place…but I’m taking the path my guy takes, no excuses, it’s on him to get the ball to his playmakers….not the opposing team.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

He wasn’t my top choice (tank for Trevor man here), but I’m just excited for ABT (anyone besides Teddy). I don’t mind if we go 7-10 if we again have improvement and look to have a QB of the future developing or even if we go 3-14 and realize Sam bombed and we need a QB. Last year was such a disappointment spending so much cap space, blowing decent comp picks and having just enough wins to be out of the top 3 picks.

I just want to see our 2020 wide open WRs getting chances to score. A non-sucking QB should have 30 TDs with these weapons, same with last year’s WRs.

Agree 100%.  If Teddy were any kind of real QB he would have had 4500 yards and 35 TDs last year.  God knows the opportunities were there. 

• Beer 1

I'm really not there wanting to tank for Trevor, or Sewell (who is now a RT) or whoever.     Good players aren't just about money, they want to win and tanking doesn't help in the FA market or help you retain good players.  It also would be a bad first impression for Rhule.

I wanted to beat RR and we almost kept him out of the playoffs.    I don't care what everybody else here thinks. Fk the WFT.

Horn may turn out to be better at corner than Sewel is at tackle.  Both are valuable positions.  Just google "Sewell overrated" and you'll see that not everyone thinks he'll be as awesome as everyone says.

Teddy, wasn't great, but he wasn't horrible either.  Yes he blew some games, but we were in those games.  Did we over pay for him?  Yes.  Did it harm our franchise to a great extent short term or long term?  I just don't think so.  He played the bridge we needed between Cam and Sam.

We were not going to the playoffs last year even if we had all the dead cap back, and that dead cap isn't stopping us from going this year either because we are still sitting on 24 million. 

Edited by SBBlue

I wouldn’t expect for him to say anything else at this point.  Got to have the back of your QB going into the season. It’s a wait and see game now.  I don’t expect Sam to be elite but I don’t expect him to be Jets bad either.  I optimistically see him moving in the right direction this year and hopefully positioning the team to be in playoff conversations in the latter part of the season.