• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets extend a qualifying offer to point guard Devonte Graham, but not Malik Monk

Captain Morgan

The Charlotte Hornets are extending a qualifying offer to point guard Devonte Graham, which would make him a restricted free agent, the team announced Sunday. Meanwhile, the Hornets decided not tender Malik Monk, which means his time with the Hornets is over.

As a restricted free agent, the Hornets can retain Graham by matching any offers from other teams.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article253184313.html

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Captain Morgan said:

I never thought Monk was going to stay after his arrest, suspension, followed by few minutes until injuries required his playing.

He did fairly well in those minutes, and will get a contract with someone else.

Yep. It never really clicked for him here, but perhaps it will somewhere else. I'm surprised the Hornets never traded Monk. Then again, maybe they tried but never found any takers.

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Yep. It never really clicked for him here, but perhaps it will somewhere else. I'm surprised the Hornets never traded Monk. Then again, maybe they tried but never found any takers.

good point.  I think other teams realized they could get him in free agency without giving us anything.

Monk melted down late last year when we really needed him

and his defense was always terrible

great to have him, but he’s now another seat down the bench and he wants way too much money

we ended up with the worst kentucky guys in the league

Edited by Scott12345
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

If JB had been more willing to play him, they probably could have gotten something for him. JB never liked Monk though. Neither did Clifford.

Well, I sure don't blame them. Clifford was canned shortly after he raised hell about not drafting Mitchell. JB must have seen how inconsistent and immature Monk was and did not want to bet his career on someone so volatile. 

i hope MJ learned from the whole saga of forcing him on the team instead of Mitchell.

Oh how glorious it is to see the team in good hands now. 

• Beer 2

27 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Monk is restricted which means we can match any deal…or am I missing something?

we would have had to extend the qualifying offer to him to make him restricted.. we didn't - in which case - he walks

2 hours ago, Scott12345 said:

No surprise on either

wonder how much they offered Graham?

because we put the qualifying offer on Graham - A) we can match any offer he is given by another team.. B) if no one offers him anything - he can play under that number and become a UFA next year.. C) we can also work on a long-term deal with him and his agent to lock him in and he never becomes a UFA..

Option C is the likely scenario - we just gotta figure out what the numbers and years are..

someone could come in a throw him a BAG $$$ but they would have to offer him something over $15m a year for us to start thinking about letting him walk and not matching - but I don't think teams have that type of space this year to offer a backup PG that type of coin..

• Pie 2