• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule after SECOND Joint Practice with the Colts

SBBlue

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

I agree %100. The negativity, and Worse Case Scenarios is really getting out of hand. 

It is permeating the whole board. It is extremely toxic around here right now.

Imagine what is going to happen the first bad pass Sam has? Or the first missed tackle? I really wish there was another board to visit. Something where Optimism is not treated like a mental disease.

Disagreement isn't toxic. Cordial conversations isn't toxic. Taking football disagreement personally and lashing out creates the toxic environment. 

8 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

The reason(s) for those three losing seasons are no longer on the books though - surely that can't be held against Rhule and Fitterer?

Yes, yes it can.

Rhule's decisions so far (coaching, FA's and drafting) have only increased my confidence in him. 

There are a bunch of us that agree with this statement.

As for those low-level OL FAs that we significantly overpaid for - we signed both on the FIRST day of FA. Our GM / HC clearly think that they're significant upgrades over what we had and fit the system we're trying to play. 

Sadly. There are a bunch of armchair GMs around here, that don't believe this.

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

I agree %100. The negativity, and Worse Case Scenarios is really getting out of hand. 

It is permeating the whole board. It is extremely toxic around here right now.

Imagine what is going to happen the first bad pass Sam has? Or the first missed tackle? I really wish there was another board to visit. Something where Optimism is not treated like a mental disease.

I wouldn't know.  I put like six people on ignore.  The only way I know what the bitch squad is saying is in other people's replies.

I am actually enjoying the board more now.

I'm looking forward to the "must win" preseason game tomorrow.  If we lose it, I'm thinking Tepper might fire Rhule.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I wouldn't know.  I put like six people on ignore.  The only way I know what the bitch squad is saying is in other people's replies.

I'm looking forward to the "must win" preseason game tomorrow.  If we lose it, I'm thinking Tepper might fire Rhule.

This is the way to handle it. If you want to create a personal echo chamber, the ignore function allows you to pretty much do that.

20 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

They're butthurt about not getting who they wanted in the preseason and have begun attacking the coach.  

Matt Rhule hasn't experienced even the tip of the iceberg of being attacked as the Panthers coach. I'm truly beginning to wonder if you were even around for the Rivera years. The man is still resoundingly despised by many. Rhule has a handful of detractors that's it.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Disagreement isn't toxic. Cordial conversations isn't toxic. Taking football disagreement personally and lashing out creates the toxic environment. 

I  truly believe you don't see anything outside your tunnel vision. Cuz this place is Toxic. As much credit as you want to give me. I am not that influential.

It is the negativity, and worse case scenarios being floated around. It has brought the tember of the board down. 

Just look at the Wed camp thread. Then tell me it's all peaches and cream around here.

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Complaining about toxicity while personally contributing to it for hours on end 🙄 🤣

Oh no, I have been punked by frank. I will never be able to show my face again. Oh the Humanity. I will probably need counselling now. 

Edit to add. You know franky. Complaining about someone complaining, makes you a complainer. 

Edited by iamhubby1

Preseason games are basically meaningless in terms of how starters are going to perform.  It wasn’t always that way, but it has been that way for along time now.  Almost every team approaches the preseason with one goal: to get their starters a little game time without getting them hurt.  The second half of that is not optional.  It is not about the starters.

Preseason has become an audition for the second-string backups who are not entrenched and those below them.  Nothing more.  That is why September games are almost painful to watch in terms of the quality of play on the field.  In the dark ages, preseason games were about gradually getting the starters ready, but the risk of that is getting them hurt in the process.  That’s just the way it is, and while I’d rather see a better product early, I understand it.

As for those complaining about Darnold and using this to bolster their belief he is trash, nobody cares.  We are going to know sometime in the 2021 season whether he is bad, decent, or good (I don’t expect great) based on actual results and trends that actually count.  I have no idea where he is going to fall on that spectrum, I hope for the best and hope I ultimately feel foolish for dismissing great.    

I share the concerns about the OL, largely because I have been conditioned to have those concerns based on most of the last decade.  I’d like to see some focus on that sometime in my lifetime.  But, I would have almost certainly picked Slater at 8 or tried to trade down a few notches to pick him and pocket something else of value, if that was possible.  That shows my bias toward that unit and its importance.  I’m still lamenting being one pick away from Sewell.

Darnold’s snap to release time last year was about a quarter of a second more than Teddy’s, so either that is going to have to change (and it might) or our OL is going to have to hold more of its own.

Still, it is year two of a near-complete overhaul.  If somehow this group is an incremental improvement over last year’s OL, that is progress.  But, I hold a grudge against he Lions for not picking the WR they needed at #7.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Respect this approach but I personally love the sky is falling, arm chair GM, bitch squad.  Sure the intelligent discussion is great, but the entertainment from that group makes me chuckle.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I would hope as a pro HC , a pro OL coach and a pro GM, that collective group, already know their OL rotation.  If they don’t, they shouldn’t be here. 

what they also know is several of those players, that they bought low as Kmart blue light specials,  have injury histories and that is also why they are not playing 1st string tomorrow   They have to last thru 17 games 

I suspect the ones will play 1st quarter of  preseason game 3 at home and that’s it 

Might as well cool jets,  as that is how Rhule is most likely going to do business 

Reminder, they performed collectively pretty well last year without any preseason and a new coaching staff and offense 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Preseason games are basically meaningless in terms of how starters are going to perform.  It wasn’t always that way, but it has been that way for along time now.  Almost every team approaches the preseason with one goal: to get their starters a little game time without getting them hurt.  The second half of that is not optional.  It is not about the starters.

Preseason has become an audition for the second-string backups who are not entrenched and those below them.  Nothing more.  That is why September games are almost painful to watch in terms of the quality of play on the field.  In the dark ages, preseason games were about gradually getting the starters ready, but the risk of that is getting them hurt in the process.  That’s just the way it is, and while I’d rather see a better product early, I understand it.

As for those complaining about Darnold and using this to bolster their belief he is trash, nobody cares.  We are going to know sometime in the 2021 season whether he is bad, decent, or good (I don’t expect great) based on actual results and trends that actually count.  I have no idea where he is going to fall on that spectrum, I hope for the best and hope I ultimately feel foolish for dismissing great.    

I share the concerns about the OL, largely because I have been conditioned to have those concerns based on most of the last decade.  I’d like to see some focus on that sometime in my lifetime.  But, I would have almost certainly picked Slater at 8 or tried to trade down a few notches to pick him and pocket something else of value, if that was possible.  That shows my bias toward that unit and its importance.  I’m still lamenting being one pick away from Sewell.

Darnold’s snap to release time last year was about a quarter of a second more than Teddy’s, so either that is going to have to change (and it might) or our OL is going to have to hold more of its own.

Still, it is year two of a near-complete overhaul.  If somehow this group is an incremental improvement over last year’s OL, that is progress.  But, I hold a grudge against he Lions for not picking the WR they needed at #7.

Back in the day. Football wasn't a full time job. Players had off season jobs. TC and Pre Season were for getting those guys into playing shape. Then move on to installation. Plus there were 2 a days.

Nowadays. Football is a full time job. TC and Pre Season is for evaluation, and installation. No 2 a days.

Of course there are other differences, but that is the gist.

• Beer 2