• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Delta variant has hit our house

Zod

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Why do you trust the flu tests if you don't trust the COVID tests? COVID is simply out-competing the flu. This isn't a phenomenon unique to the U.S. It's happening globally.

Did you read the results part? Ive seen others saying the same thing and came to the conclusion that the testing varies farr to much to be trusted. Miss-information with the number of positives testing AND negatives. Guess Lauren Kucirka MD is another big-foot believer too!

Original Research18 August 2020

Variation in False-Negative Rate of Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction–Based SARS-CoV-2 Tests by Time Since Exposure

FREE

Results:

Over the 4 days of infection before the typical time of symptom onset (day 5), the probability of a false-negative result in an infected person decreases from 100% (95% CI, 100% to 100%) on day 1 to 67% (CI, 27% to 94%) on day 4. On the day of symptom onset, the median false-negative rate was 38% (CI, 18% to 65%). This decreased to 20% (CI, 12% to 30%) on day 8 (3 days after symptom onset) then began to increase again, from 21% (CI, 13% to 31%) on day 9 to 66% (CI, 54% to 77%) on day 21.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Why do you trust the flu tests if you don't trust the COVID tests? COVID is simply out-competing the flu. This isn't a phenomenon unique to the U.S. It's happening globally.

Besides, if the test isn't accurate you would think one would want the shot to protect themselves anyway. 

When I got so sick in April 2020 I eventually got tested by my doctor and it came back negative.   He later told me that those early tests weren't very accurate and admitted that he thinks I had Covid.  I sure felt like it. 

I got the shot anyway as soon as it was available to me.  Still not sure I'm safe from that poo.

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Did you read the results part? Ive seen others saying the same thing and came to the conclusion that the testing varies farr to much to be trusted. Miss-information with the number of positives testing AND negatives. Guess Lauren Kucirka MD is another big-foot believer too!

You're quoting something from a year ago. The CDC's early tests were garbage. That's a well known fact. We didn't buy the WHO's tests because we wanted to create our own and they were trash. That hasn't been relevant for a long time now.

• Beer 1

36 minutes ago, pamlicopanther said:

These people don't even know what irony means

Denial of this disease due to politics is just so hard for me to comprehend.  The mantra seems to be “I will believe COVID is more than a cold when you pry the ventilator tube from my cold dead lips”. 

Edited by Pejorative Miscreant
  • Pie 3

Just now, 45catfan said:

Like I said, the answer was pretty obvious, just looking for clarification.

I just find it kinda sad that probably 90 plus percent of the thread is infighting while there are maybe 10 posts saying "hey, sorry to hear that" or some such.

Snapshot of the culture at large, I suppose...

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

It is painfully obvious that you are not understanding this article. I was going to let it go but it's just hurting my brain reading your responses.

1. This is only referencing false negatives, not false positives. They make no comment about the rate of false positives. False positives are also incredibly difficult to ascertain since people can be infected and be asymptomatic. So you can't definitively say it's a false positive just because you do a test the next day and it's negative. Especially if you have no symptoms, your viral loads may be so low that you keep testing negative after your initial positive test.

2. The majority of false negatives in the report are before people develop symptoms or well after they got infected. That's universal for any virus and any test, no matter how good the test is. It's because these are the times when viral loads are the lowest, either because there hasn't been enough time for the virus to replicate in the case of the early testing, or because the immune system has cleared some of the virus as it relates to later testing. Many of the other false negatives are often due to tester error, for instance the nurse not inserting the swab far enough or not leaving it in long enough either because they're doing it wrong or the patient squirmed out of it. 

Anyhow, I implore you to stop posting articles and misinterpreting the science before I get anymore of a headache. Thanks

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I just find it kinda sad that probably 90 plus percent of the thread is infighting while there are maybe 10 posts saying "hey, sorry to hear that" or some such.

Snapshot of the culture at large, I suppose...

Yep, one side is convinced the other side is wrong, when honestly it's somewhere in the middle. Watch me get attacked for saying this; for not picking a side.

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

You're quoting something from a year ago. The CDC's early tests were garbage. That's a well known fact. We didn't buy the WHO's tests because we wanted to create our own and they were trash. That hasn't been relevant for a long time now.

So you admitted WHO and the our testing was "trash", glad you figured that out on your own! Theres hope after all! I do hope a more accurate test comes out and the figures are honestly reported, but thats a total dream about the honest part. Lab results are another issues too, many labs would come back with different results on the same sample. 

2 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

It is painfully obvious that you are not understanding this article. I was going to let it go but it's just hurting my brain reading your responses.

1. This is only referencing false negatives, not false positives. They make no comment about the rate of false positives. False positives are also incredibly difficult to ascertain since people can be infected and be asymptomatic. So you can't definitively say it's a false positive just because you do a test the next day and it's negative. Especially if you have no symptoms, your viral loads may be so low that you keep testing negative after your initial positive test.

2. The majority of false negatives in the report are before people develop symptoms or well after they got infected. That's universal for any virus and any test, no matter how good the test is. It's because these are the times when viral loads are the lowest, either because there hasn't been enough time for the virus to replicate in the case of the early testing, or because the immune system has cleared some of the virus as it relates to later testing. Many of the other false negatives are often due to tester error, for instance the nurse not inserting the swab far enough or not leaving it in long enough either because they're doing it wrong or the patient squirmed out of it. 

Anyhow, I implore you to stop posting articles and misinterpreting the science before I get anymore of a headache. Thanks

You made it further than I did. I didn't make it past the date. Like yep, this is no longer relevant info.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

So you admitted WHO and the our testing was "trash", glad you figured that out on your own! Theres hope after all! I do hope a more accurate test comes out and the figures are honestly reported, but thats a total dream about the honest part. Lab results are another issues too, many labs would come back with different results on the same sample. 

The more accurate tests came out pretty quickly. "Bad tests" hasn't been a relevant issue for a long time now.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Still not sure I'm safe from that poo.

Yeah, with new variants, no one should be taking their health for granted.

We all need to remain vigilant.

I'm continuing to social distance and wear a mask indoors while shopping.

I've also nixed any unnecessary social interactions outside of immediate family.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1