• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This week I learned on the huddle (Preseason week 2 edition)

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Only thing I have really learned this preseason is Marshall and Chubba look like good draft picks 

Probably should have included this is all in jest, I do think PJ has shown me more as a bank up than Grier in their careers and that the point of this is to take the more absurd hot takes I read each week (Walker should be our starter) and ponder them lightheartedly. I don’t really believe anything I just posted. At all. Lol 

7 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

@MasterAwesome pointed out in the gameday thread that I needed to follow up on my post from last week. And he is absolutely right. Our humble ruler @Zod also pointed out that people need to take things more in stride around here. And he is also absolutely right. So perhaps the best way to do that is to focus on one or two of the weekly huddle hot takes and really reflect on what we have learned from them. So without further ado, lets get into it. 

This week on the huddle I learned PJ Walker should be the starting QB, Will Grier should be cut sometime before our 3rd preseason game and Darnold is our backup this season.

After last weeks preseason games a few fellow huddlers tried to tell us all that PJ Walker, NOT Sam Darnold, should be the starting QB for this team in 2021. Here is why they are right. 

Sam Darnold is just a flat out bad QB and the fact that this team traded for him is so embarrassing that they are protecting themselves by playing him as little as possible. But what did Darnold show us today? Well he showed us he is REALLY bad. He went 1/2 for 16 yards. The one pass he completed was telegraphed so clearly that its amazing an NFL DB wasn't able to pick it off and take it to the house. And his completion was so inaccurate it flew 30+ yards over the head of his nearest receiver in the endzone. That just isn't good enough. We have to do better. And thankfully that is where our hero steps in.

PJ Walker. A few huddlers were telling us last week just how good he is. I had my doubts. I admitted I was hopeful he could be a backup in this league but what he showed me tonight has without a doubt changed my mind. Sure, he went 1/8 for 8 yards today. That isn't exactly impressive, but there is more to the story than just this. Everybody has bad days. We know this. But where he shined was showing a tremendous ability to pick up yards on the ground when he is misfiring through the air and that is what makes him a true NFL caliber starter. Walker also finished the night with one carry for 4 yards. That may not sound like much but lets break this down to see just how impressive it is. Walker averaged 4 yards per carry against a very strong Ravens run defense. Compare that to Chuba Hubbard who averaged just 2.7 yards per carry and suddenly the picture begins to come into focus. While Walker struggled to complete passes he showed the ability to more than make up for it by running the ball like a true workhorse back. In fact, we can even compare his rushing to the Ravens starting RB J.K. Dobbins (4 attempts for 8 yards) who averaged just 2 yards per carry. Walker actually averaged TWICE AS MANY yards on the ground per attempt than Dobbins. Darnold better be looking over his shoulder, because Walker is really making a strong claim for the starting job. In Darnolds defense, Walker did play with mostly backups. So while Walker may not have it just yet, I suspect his name will sit on top of the depth chart within the first couple of weeks. 

Will Grier. What can you say about this guy? While Walker has gone from XFL to future of the franchise, Grier has just played himself out of a job. He was 11/14 for 144 with a 109.5 passer rating. Turns out the numbers DO lie. He was also the ONLY player on the team to record a sack and was sacked not once, but twice. This shows a severe lack of pocket awareness. He also failed to record a TD. In fact, through the first two preseason games, Walker is the only QB that has scored a TD. Lets compare them side by side. 

Walker is now 11/29 for 169 yards and a score. 

Grier is now 17/28 for 175 and no TDs. Zero. 0. 

Grier does actually have twice as many yards on the ground than Walker with 3 attempts for 8 yards. But its the efficiency that is lacking with just a 2.7 yards per attempt average. But ultimately, if you can't score TDs you can't win games. And clearly PJ is the only player on this roster capable for scoring TDs. 

In conclusion, when need to cut ties with Grier ASAP and start getting ready for PJ to take the reigns. He has shown the ability to score and when all else fails, the ability to run the ball better than Dobbins to get the job done. Grier is a good guy but he just can't score. He doesn't have "it" and should be out of the league by week 1. 

This is what I have learned on the Huddle this week. I genuinely can't wait to see what I learn this week. And I look forward to sharing whatever new insights I pick up in the near future. See you then! 

Take the pie

• Beer 2

Hell yeah brother, we’re just a couple of straight shooters who call it like we see it!!! Grier was straight up TRASH tonight! Did you see that deep ball to Terrace? He had to catch it at a 47 degree angle to his body, everyone knows the optimal angle is 49 degrees…pathetic. I would’ve cut him on the spot. And if you disagree, you’re just a homer-a&$ Grier Gobbler trying to stifle free speech and this AIN’T the marketplace of ideas for you! 

• Pie 4

8 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Hell yeah brother, we’re just a couple of straight shooters who call it like we see it!!! Grier was straight up TRASH tonight! Did you see that deep ball to Terrace? He had to catch it at a 47 degree angle to his body, everyone knows the optimal angle is 49 degrees…pathetic. I would’ve cut him on the spot. And if you disagree, you’re just a homer-a&$ Grier Gobbler trying to stifle free speech and this AIN’T the marketplace of ideas for you! 

Right? I put Grier on par with Cam. THAT is how inaccurate he is. No wonder Smitty wanted out. We will be luck to keep Moore at this rate. Rumor has it Robby Anderson already wants out. I’ve heard some here suggest it’s cause he doesn’t want to play with Darnold. That’s how you know these silly contract extension talks are just BS

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

11 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

@MasterAwesome pointed out in the gameday thread that I needed to follow up on my post from last week. And he is absolutely right. Our humble ruler @Zod also pointed out that people need to take things more in stride around here. And he is also absolutely right. So perhaps the best way to do that is to focus on one or two of the weekly huddle hot takes and really reflect on what we have learned from them. So without further ado, lets get into it. 

This week on the huddle I learned PJ Walker should be the starting QB, Will Grier should be cut sometime before our 3rd preseason game and Darnold is our backup this season.

After last weeks preseason games a few fellow huddlers tried to tell us all that PJ Walker, NOT Sam Darnold, should be the starting QB for this team in 2021. Here is why they are right. 

Sam Darnold is just a flat out bad QB and the fact that this team traded for him is so embarrassing that they are protecting themselves by playing him as little as possible. But what did Darnold show us today? Well he showed us he is REALLY bad. He went 1/2 for 16 yards. The one pass he completed was telegraphed so clearly that its amazing an NFL DB wasn't able to pick it off and take it to the house. And his completion was so inaccurate it flew 30+ yards over the head of his nearest receiver in the endzone. That just isn't good enough. We have to do better. And thankfully that is where our hero steps in.

PJ Walker. A few huddlers were telling us last week just how good he is. I had my doubts. I admitted I was hopeful he could be a backup in this league but what he showed me tonight has without a doubt changed my mind. Sure, he went 1/8 for 8 yards today. That isn't exactly impressive, but there is more to the story than just this. Everybody has bad days. We know this. But where he shined was showing a tremendous ability to pick up yards on the ground when he is misfiring through the air and that is what makes him a true NFL caliber starter. Walker also finished the night with one carry for 4 yards. That may not sound like much but lets break this down to see just how impressive it is. Walker averaged 4 yards per carry against a very strong Ravens run defense. Compare that to Chuba Hubbard who averaged just 2.7 yards per carry and suddenly the picture begins to come into focus. While Walker struggled to complete passes he showed the ability to more than make up for it by running the ball like a true workhorse back. In fact, we can even compare his rushing to the Ravens starting RB J.K. Dobbins (4 attempts for 8 yards) who averaged just 2 yards per carry. Walker actually averaged TWICE AS MANY yards on the ground per attempt than Dobbins. Darnold better be looking over his shoulder, because Walker is really making a strong claim for the starting job. In Darnolds defense, Walker did play with mostly backups. So while Walker may not have it just yet, I suspect his name will sit on top of the depth chart within the first couple of weeks. 

Will Grier. What can you say about this guy? While Walker has gone from XFL to future of the franchise, Grier has just played himself out of a job. He was 11/14 for 144 with a 109.5 passer rating. Turns out the numbers DO lie. He was also the ONLY player on the team to record a sack and was sacked not once, but twice. This shows a severe lack of pocket awareness. He also failed to record a TD. In fact, through the first two preseason games, Walker is the only QB that has scored a TD. Lets compare them side by side. 

Walker is now 11/29 for 169 yards and a score. 

Grier is now 17/28 for 175 and no TDs. Zero. 0. 

Grier does actually have twice as many yards on the ground than Walker with 3 attempts for 8 yards. But its the efficiency that is lacking with just a 2.7 yards per attempt average. But ultimately, if you can't score TDs you can't win games. And clearly PJ is the only player on this roster capable for scoring TDs. 

In conclusion, when need to cut ties with Grier ASAP and start getting ready for PJ to take the reigns. He has shown the ability to score and when all else fails, the ability to run the ball better than Dobbins to get the job done. Grier is a good guy but he just can't score. He doesn't have "it" and should be out of the league by week 1. 

This is what I have learned on the Huddle this week. I genuinely can't wait to see what I learn this week. And I look forward to sharing whatever new insights I pick up in the near future. See you then! 

/s

Post of the week.

• Beer 1

everyone is missing out on the key to our success in all of this. without the XFL, we never would have ever known about PJ Walker. he would have squandered his gifts at Office Depot or Bojangles, potentially, eventually making his way to being a performance chef at Benihana’s. 

we owe a great debt to the XFL as they are the true savior of this franchise.

• Flames 1