• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Darnold "coddled" ?

TheBigKat

22 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

If you ha watched the game last night, you would have heard that we are one of 7 teams that used joint practices as preseason games.

Which lends to the mystery. Those games aren't televised.

We are a fan base screaming out for access.

Are they hiding him from the public?

Do they think he's fragile in some kind of way?

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'm not sure the narrative of Sam Darnold has never had a QB coach is really that accurate.  Especially how it is being used. 

That's like saying Mac Jones doesn't have a QB coach and is being setup to fail. 

I mean, if Mac Jones is unable to get it together, and no small part appears to be issues with mechanics... It wouldn't be crazy to wonder if that played a part. 

But, OC/QBC combo is a different matter from the Jets.  wasn't Gase doing it all?

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Good post. I'd just argue Sean Ryan is the most important guy in Darnold's life right now.

His footwork was his biggest problem. Not his processing. That lead to his inaccuracy and 'slow' processing - ie he didn't have his feet set so he couldn't release the ball on time.

These are mostly processing problems, not footwork issues. Even in our last preseason game, it was highlighted the fact that he threw the ball away instead of trying to force a play that wasn't there. Every QB can always clean up some technical or mechanical problems but the bulk of Darnold's issues are between his ears. That's what we have to wait weeks and weeks of games to see if it has improved.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'm not sure the narrative of Sam Darnold has never had a QB coach is really that accurate.  Especially how it is being used. 

That's like saying Mac Jones doesn't have a QB coach and is being setup to fail. 

Well the combination of that and Gase is a better argument, but that is alarming. But also speculative. We just don’t know. We will soon thankfully. 

22 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

Tom Brady is playing in the preseason

Patrick Mahomes is playing in the preseason

Justin Fields is playing in the preseason

Trevor Lawrence is playing in the preseason

Darnold isn't injured like Dak so why the heck is he only trotted out for 2 attempts? If ANYONE in the NFL needs the work it is Sam Darnold, on the verge of a being a bust comes to Carolina and has:

New teammates

New coaching staff

New city

I cannot understand the logic here, unless these team scrimmages are amazing and he is getting game action work in what in the world are we doing with evaluating this fella and making sure he is the guy for week 1?

Haven’t read the comments yet, but I’d be willing to guess that the guy that always gets offended when ppl bring this up is in these comments pitching a fit & I’m here for it.

In seriousness, what we’re doing with Sammy boy is really really odd. He’s being rested like he’s in his mid 60’s and we are resting him cause we go deep into the playoffs every season.

7 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I mean, if Mac Jones is unable to get it together, and no small part appears to be issues with mechanics... It wouldn't be crazy to wonder if that played a part. 

But, OC/QBC combo is a different matter from the Jets.  wasn't Gase doing it all?

nope, the Jets had the same structure under Bowles and then Gase that NE and other teams opt for.  He had the combo.  He also had a personal coach in the offseason. 

I just feel the manner in how it is slung around in conversation can be a a bit dishonest.  

People poo'd when I said six wins may be a miracle.

The defense is beast mode. Prime time.

But the offense remains a mystery. There are potential weak spots that are very concerning.

Offensive line still hasn't been figured out and it's almost time to play. Everybody knows a line without chemistry won't do well. We still don't know who goes where.

Backup QB should be a veteran guy who has played in the league in order to keep going if Sam gets injured. It just seems to me that those types may intimidate our young OC.

Haven't seen anything that says Brady or his scheme is special. Remember how much fun Chudzinsky was, yeah, nowhere near that creative as of yet. Nothing in preseason has changed my mind.

That's why, in a tough NFL, you have a bunch of questionable QB decisions from the staff, an upstart online that hasn't been together with any kind of reps, Average OC (so far) and a great defense.

Not enough points to win at the end of games UNLESS Sam is secretly a franchise QB.

AND the kicker.

Edited by rippadonn

Lot of teams are morphing away from just having an exclusive QB Coach.  You see a lot of combos of OC/QB, Pass Game Coordiantor/QB, etc. 

Lot of QBs don't have an exclusive QB Coach listed on a roster anymore.  Seeing an OC or Passing Game Coordinator also be the QB Coach isn't something Gase thought up just for Sam Darnold. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

nope, the Jets had the same structure under Bowles and then Gase that NE and other teams opt for.  He had the combo.  He also had a personal coach in the offseason. 

I just feel the manner in how it is slung around in conversation can be a a bit dishonest.  

Just worth a note - NE does have QB coaches intermittently.  I'm pretty sure they had a QB coach in 2020, they don't always go that route.  Not sure what McDaniels is negotiating there but no doubt that's part of what their situation is now.

The fact this is a question tells you what you need to know. If this were happening to a division rival no doubt there would be a thread here dedicated to laughing at them relentlessly. There will always be critics and there will always be eternal optimists who think the team will perform better if they support every aspect to the fullest. If the Panthers have a successful season none of this will matter and most of us will be happy.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Im curious if keeping darnold off the field has something to do with the watson situation. Maybe the staff thinks shielding him lessens the pressure of a trade. Part of me thinks Tepper isnt sold on darnold and he probably would put the heat on if darnold gets out there and struggles. Its a theory. 

Edited by CPF4LIFE

9 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

These are mostly processing problems, not footwork issues. Even in our last preseason game, it was highlighted the fact that he threw the ball away instead of trying to force a play that wasn't there. Every QB can always clean up some technical or mechanical problems but the bulk of Darnold's issues are between his ears. That's what we have to wait weeks and weeks of games to see if it has improved.

Isn't that a good thing that a QB is smart enough to throw the ball away instead of forcing it and throwing an INT? 🤨

I mean...that's the exact sort of thing Sam went through with the Jets and that's because he knew there was literally nothing there for him on offense to throw to so he had to play "HERO BALL" 100% of the time.   

The "Processing problems", as you call them, were more "Jets have zero talent" problems than anything between Sam's ears.

I look for Sam to not have those "Processing Problems" while on this team.

If he does, then you and all others can go beat your chests with the "I told you so's" and can get in line to get your medals or some sh-t.

But I have a feeling he won't.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1

I think it obvious not playing Darnold or the 1's is strategic on the coaching staff part. To put as little on film as possible for the Jets. We have seen plenty of Zach Wilson already this preseason and nothing of Darnold. We already know Wilson is going to be staring down Corey Davis and if not open checking down to tightends. He's also good at play action going both ways. The Panthers are going to have enough to devise a good game plan against Wilson, while Jets will have one one half of football to study off, and of course whatever insider info they have about Darnold from past experience. 

Chess not Checkers Gentlemen

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, SammyFranchise said:

I think it obvious not playing Darnold or the 1's is strategic on the coaching staff part. To put as little on film as possible for the Jets. We have seen plenty of Zach Wilson already this preseason and nothing of Darnold. We already know Wilson is going to be staring down Corey Davis and if not open checking down to tightends. He's also good at play action going both ways. The Panthers are going to have enough to devise a good game plan against Wilson, while Jets will have one one half of football to study off, and of course whatever insider info they have about Darnold from past experience. 

Chess not Checkers Gentlemen

giphy (8).gif