• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fittermagic

MHS831

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Thinking he was going to be better, being better initially and then being just as bad.

Gettleman was much better than Hurney, and so is Fitts.

I do think that Fitts is going to be better than DG, mainly because it seems that he and Rhule have a shared vision.

I get being hesitant to say he will definitively be better than Marty, but I'm not holding back...Marty was an absolute idiot, and had no business being anything other than a beat writer.

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

He will be starting soon.  I think his only drawback is conditioning, and when that gets right, he could be ready to challenge Miller, who is on a one-year deal anyway. 

By next year, I see Brown and Christensen starting--maybe our two guards.

I thought Brown and David Moore would be a great team like Turner and Norwell.

Thought wrong apparently. 

1 hour ago, NAS said:

I really like the way he operates.  It's too early to judge him yet but I think he has shown a lot of promise and I trust him way more than I ever trusted Hurney or Gettleman

I think hes made more trades in the short amount of time hes been here than Hurney did in his entire 2 tenures as GM.  Fitt-Dawg DEFINITELY is not scared to go out and make moves.  I love it.  Keeps things interesting and it shows he is aggressive in trying to improve the team.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, thefuzz said:

I do think that Fitts is going to be better than DG, mainly because it seems that he and Rhule have a shared vision.

I get being hesitant to say he will definitively be better than Marty, but I'm not holding back...Marty was an absolute idiot, and had no business being anything other than a beat writer.

I seriously thought it was a joke when I first read he had been hired back as GM after being fired a few years earlier.

Besides him, has an NFL team (or any team really) ever fired their GM and then hired him back a few years later knowing exactly who he is and what he does???

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Chinn had never played LB before, but he did last year.

The problem wasn't Hurney thinking a player could play another position they hadn't, the problem was that his talent evaluation ability wasn't much deeper than that of a mock draft blogger. Probably less, actually.

You're right, Hurney lucked out on the Chinn "conversion." I don't know if that was solely on Hurney though as I recall Rhule saying that they made the switch out of necessity. Nevertheless, things appear to be trending upwards with this new GM, and I'm hoping it doesn't end up similar to what happened to Gettleman. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

25 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

frank takes watching other people play a game very seriously. It's not about fun. It's about global conquest life and death if not first your last. No enjoyment until all your enemies are dead.

Being a Charlotte native I'm accustomed to watching my sports teams lose. But there isn't a form you have to sign that says you will support anything and everything to the fullest and never speak a bad word about anyone with the team. You were mad af at folks calling out Teddy last year and I'm sorry that's still eating away at you but that's sports big guy sometimes we're wrong. I used to be a big Cam supporter but I had to swallow my pride and accept he was done as a Panther. You'll be ok.

• Flames 1

Just now, thefuzz said:

how was Hurney viewed around 2005?  4 years in, Hurney had a fantastic reputation in places like this.  

You don't really know a guy, until you know a guy.  We don't know Fitts. 

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, CRA said:

is he good? Way too early to tell for a GM.      

Gettlemen was lauded and praised as great once.  And I am old enough to remember when Marty Hurney was praised as a fantastic GM.   I think it takes a GM longer than a HC often to show if they are the guy or not. 

I don't recall anyone EVER saying Marty Hurney was a fantastic GM.  A good evaluator of first round talent?  Hell yeah....other than that hes been complete poo the entire time.  

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, joemac said:

I don't recall anyone EVER saying Marty Hurney was a fantastic GM.  A good evaluator of first round talent?  Hell yeah....other than that hes been complete poo the entire time.  

We went to two NFCCGs and 1 SuperBowl 4 years in with Hurney.  And Hurney was active in FA and brought in key pieces to go along with his drafts.    There were no bad contracts to bitch about.  No overinvesting in RBs to bitch about.  Everything you hate about him hadn't happened yet.      

Early Marty Hurney was most definitely praised in places like this.  And frankly, deserved at the time.   

• Beer 2

10 minutes ago, Martin said:

Except for Fields, right? You already know he is a superstar and we were stupid for not taking him, right?...

We're comparing front office executives to draft prospects now? No I never said such a thing. I was on the OT or QB train with the 8th pick and yes I would have been happy with Fields as he was one of my top choices. This was due in large part to the fact that as a Panthers fan I have only seen two notable long term starting qb's in 25 years. It is plainly obvious you need a good one to get anywhere. We went with Jaycee and I accepted that. CB was a need so I hope to see him help shut down these quarterbacks in our division.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I mean, if you think Gettleman was much better than Marty, all I can say is good luck with that. 

Fitts should be better than both but if there was anything to be learned from the Gettleman era it was that just because you are different and have early success, doesn't mean you aren't a terrible GM and Gettleman was a terrible GM. Much like Marty Hurney, he proved it even more conclusively in his second stop. Ultimately, this is the argument of sinking versus floating turds that has been rehashed hundreds if not thousands of times across this board. The net result is just how much they stink. 

I am very encouraged by what I have seen from Fitterer and I like to believe he can't be as bad as they were, but he needs to be better enough to remove him from that conversation entirely and that will take a few years, at least. I absolutely think he can be, I just need him to put up the results to prove it.