• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Final cuts: Surprise makes and cuts for the 53 man roster

45catfan

Final cuts are just a couple days away.  Any names that should make the roster that don't or any guys that are fringe guys that make the final 53?

The 6th WR will be interesting.  I thought Zylstra had it locked up, but then had two drops Friday night.  The team seems intrigued by SaundersKirkwood is the veteran, but for the cap savings, it better just to part ways.

At RB, the depth chart says Bonnafon is the primary back up, but he doesn't even make it.   Spencer Brown's performance on Friday earned him the #3 RB spot.

The biggest name that I think gets cut is Ian Thomas at TE.  Too much cap saving for a guy that will be a back up.  I think Ricci edges out Thompson, but it could go either way.

Mike Horton is let go and Sam Tecklenburg makes the initial 53, but only until an upgrade is acquired and then sent to the PS.

*Something tells me Grier sticks over PJ, but PJ SHOULD get the nod.

Christian Miller gets cut and sent to the PS.  Dude looks too slow to be an edge rusher.  A DE will be picked up.

Clay Johnston will make the initial 53, but only until an upgrade is found.

Rashaan Melvin gets cut in favor of Thomas-Oliver III.   Keith Taylor makes the roster as the 5th CB.

Hartsfield played himself into a roster spot Friday night and will make it over Franklin.  Franklin goes to the PS.  It very well could go the other way, but Hartsfield looks to have more upside than Franklin.

I know that was the long version, but here's the condensed one:

Makes: Saunders, Brown, Ricci, Tecklenburg (briefly), STO and Hartsfield

Cuts: Thomas, Kirwood/Zylstra, Horton, Miller and Franklin

• Pie 4
  • The D 1

Not sure what to think about Bonnafon. He has done some good things for us but not seeing him on the field has him as an afterthought now. And Hubbard seems to have made him expendable as they serve the same role. I'm not necessarily sold on Brown. I think he's the guy who shows flashes when playing against bottom of the roster players in the preseason but will probably routinely get stuffed when up against starters. I see him on the practice squad and us rolling with CMC, Hubbard and Cannon, with Bonnafon making it if we want 4 RBs.

I don't see Tecklenberg making the 53. If we really want him, we can cut and then resign him after shifting Shi Smith to IR. But seems like he's destined for PS.

I agree with cutting (or trading) Ian Thomas but not sure if the team agrees. I don't see the downgrade from Thomas to Thompson being worth $2 million. I think safety will be the hardest group to predict. Franklin, Chandler, Robinson and Hartsfield all have good cases to be made. Hartsfield might get an edge for positional versatility. I think whoever gets cut is a lock for the PS and call up for injury. But honestly if you can't make our 53 with out limited depth, probably not someone worth shedding tears for.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

PJ SHOULD NOT get the nod. 

PJ needs to learn touch.  His passes are usually on the mark, but he only throws fast balls.  Grier, while admitted looking better, still is not the answer if needed to be called into service as starter.  

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

PJ needs to learn touch.  His passes are usually on the mark, but he only throws fast balls.  Grier, while admitted looking better, still is not the answer if needed to be called into service as starter.  

I like the zip he puts on the ball but I completely disagree about his accuracy.  That's, IMO, his biggest downfall. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

You might want to listen to this.

Based upon this, I don't think Spencer is making the cut, but will be on the PS. Trenton Cannon will make the squad based on ST alone.

I had thought Omar Bayless would make it, but after listening to Rhule (who did NOT mention Omar)...Let's just say I don't remember Bayless standing out on ST (not to say that he didn't).

I think that there may be a little bit of a disconnect between what fans are seeing and looking for versus what coaches are looking for. And add in the fact that we aren't privy to practices and the dynamics of all the team building, and it may add to some disappointment.

I'd suggest not being overly disappointed...

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

Grier’s TD run may have an influence on the decision.

I mostly agree with your picks.

I don’t see Bonnafon getting cut.  His lack of PT doesn’t concern me.  Brown looked good, he may be the squad stash out of that group.

Zylstra just dropped his whole career.  No other player took as sharp of a hit to their stock.

Ricci is the exact opposite.  He played well Friday and looks better than Ian.  Ian better start packing.  Arnold/Tommyknocker/Ricci: that’s a good TE/FB trio.

The offensive line is a crap shoot.  They

They could cut everyone but Moton and not surprise me.