• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers cut Will Grier - PJ Wins backup QB spot

Zod

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, that just isn't true. 

You can dislike PJ, but his instincts are to push the ball downfield.   Which is what he does.    The correct PJ critique would be...to be critical of him as he attempts to push the ball downfield. 

Sam Darnold has been the checkdown king of the offseason. 

Be that as it may he is woefully inaccurate. 

I wonder if fit at least tried to trade WG?

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ineffectively though. Sure, he's willing to throw the ball down the field but very few end up as completions.

I'm not crying over Grier being cut. He isn't very good. But honestly he out-played PJ by a considerable margin this preseason.

They both suck.  With Darnolds history of missing time every year having PJ back him up scares the poo out of me if we are in a wildcard hunt

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

I think that's what I was doing, by saying that he pushes the ball downfield, which is great, but the passes aren't catchable, which confirms his lack of accuracy, because the only reason he is in the NFL is because of Matt Rhule being a clown.

my bad, I misread it lol, I thought you said he pushed the ball 5 yards downfield.  As in checked downed.  You said something completely different.  Carry on. 

I understand some want PJ cut and for us to add a veteran who is better.  I don't see that happening.  For the same reason Menshew wasn't an option.  If you add someone better than PJ.....well, you now could have a QB competition with Sam Darnold.  Which Rhule doesn't want to deal with.  And he would, if Sam remains the inconsistent player he has always been. 

I lobbied for it initially.  I think if you were actually trying to salvage Darnold you would give him a better QB room.   As well as a lot of other things we haven't.  But the reality is, a veteran QB on the roster that is better than the PJ/Grier tier.....would likely create an atmosphere where Rhule would have to deal with questions on QB that he doesn't want to deal with.

• Pie 2

If Matt Rhule fails, it will be decisions like this that doom him.

I am in no way saying Grier was "good", but he was head and shoulders above PJ based on this preseason.  I hope this is just the precursor to us bringing in a vet backup.  Someone who can throw the ball to our guys and not beat us if we need a game or two.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

hate that sumbitch, Hurney.

A white hot seething hatred reserved for despots and war criminals, committers of atrocities and the Saints.

Im no badass but I’d give him the stiff shoulder if we passed in the street.

For sure lol. Once again we got Brain Burns like the 1 good player each draft he does...ffs

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

If Matt Rhule fails, it will be decisions like this that doom him.

I am in no way saying Grier was "good", but he was head and shoulders above PJ based on this preseason.  I hope this is just the precursor to us bringing in a vet backup.  Someone who can throw the ball to our guys and not beat us if we need a game or two.

I think the Sam and Teddy decisions would be what dooms him.  Not which bad backup he kept between PJ and Grier.   Neither should be the backup and the Panther had a tons of opportunity to add better players at QB......but his Sam decision appears to have prevented that.  

But I do believe if Rhule fails....the QB position and how he managed it will be his downfall.  But that's not a conversation about choosing between Grier and PJ. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I understand some want PJ cut and for us to add a veteran who is better.  I don't see that happening.  For the same reason Menshew wasn't an option.  If you add someone better than PJ.....well, you now have a QB competition with Sam Darnold.  Which Rhule doesn't want to deal with. 

I lobbied for it initially.  I think if you were actually trying to salvage Darnold you would give him a better QB room.   As well, as a lot of other things we haven't.  But the reality is, a veteran QB on the roster that is better than the PJ/Grier tier.....would likely create an atmosphere where Rhule would have to deal with questions on QB who doesn't want to deal with.

Worrying about players feelings instead of fielding the best possible team sounds like the same ol' Panthers to me. Hoping it works out.