• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chuba Hubbard 11 Att 52 yards, 4.7 yards per carry

SBBlue

10 hours ago, SBBlue said:

Chuba had a good night.  He turned some certain yardage  losses in to 2-3 yards.  He had the longest run of the game at 14.  Not bad for a rookie. He also came back and PULLED the pile to help Darnold get across for the score.

Just needs a little pine tar on the finger tips to haul in that TD catch 😁

Brady starting calling plays to his strength in the second half when it was clear Chuba was going to be the feature guy. He is a stud in those stretch runs where he can find a lane, get his foot in the ground, and get going north-south. My kind of run game instead of a bunch of horizontal crap in the backfield. 

37 minutes ago, NAS said:

Apparently, Matt Rhule's pep talk with Chuba made a difference in the second half.  

Royce Freeman and fourth-round pick Chuba Hubbard took over in the backfield after McCaffrey left the game in the second quarter. Hubbard got stuffed on a fourth down a short time later and the Panthers were only up one at halftime, but things began to open up for them in the second half.

Head coach Matt Rhule said both players stepped up and he made it clear what he’s looking for from the duo while McCaffrey is out of action.

“Yeah, I think they just have to be starting NFL running backs, and Royce has done that before,” Rhule said in his postgame press conference. “I told Chuba at halftime, ‘That’s why we drafted you, man.’ I thought Chuba was outstanding. At the end of the half, we didn’t give him a ton of chances, but I thought he got in there at the end and made some key runs. When we can line up in four-minute offense and run and get the first down on two plays, especially versus that stout defense, that’s a credit to the offensive line, credit to the tight ends and full backs. I thought those backs hit it, and the minute Royce got in he made that nice run, cut the ball back on a dual play, which that’s a veteran-run. That’s a guy that’s played a bunch and saw it. Those guys stepped up for us.”

11 minutes ago, onmyown said:

I’m just not sure he’s ready for for a full time load. I see him hitting the ‘rookie wall’. Could be wrong. Panthers should’ve had another option as much as they rely on cmc.

@onmyown  Read the above post from @NAS

You could clearly see a dfferent Hubbard after the 2nd half.  I don't see a rookie wall for him at all. Hubbard has the skillset to be a solid contributor in this league.

I'll look forward to seeing him with 1st team reps in practice next week. 

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, ladypanther said:

He seemed to get better with more reps.

It's kinda crazy right, imagine getting in rhythm versus the random spot duty...

I'm still frustrated by his hands out the backfield as he's had drops since the pre-season, but I believe he's a good runner of the rock. 

Him and Royce should be interesting as Royce learns the PB. 

• Pie 1