• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Artificial turf should be banned in the NFL.

Eazy-E

3 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

I absolutely hated the fact that Tepper decided to ditch the grass for turf in the offseason. I get it is a penny pinching move and even with all the money he is saving he still isn't having the end zones painted black. 

The NFLPA was pushing to have turf banned last year although I don't know what ever came of it. Clearly the NFL doesn't care nor does our owner as we just switched our field. I'm wondering how Tepper is feeling after seeing our first round pick and our best player go down on non contact injuries due to turf.

I did some research on turf and some of the number are pretty staggering.

For a league that preaches player safety this is just insane. Thursday Night Football is another safety issue all on it own.

Take FIFA for example. For as terrible and corrupt an organization as FIFA, they are at least smart enough to not allow turf to ever be used in the World Cup. Oh and Tepper using the excuse to move to turf for our incoming MLS team, the majority of Pro European Football clubs play on grass and if a club wants to use turf it has to be approved by FIFA.

Look at it this way, Horn and McCaffrey would still be healthy right now if they would have been playing on grass.

Ban turf and do away with Thursday Night Football please and thank you.

Been saying this for years. It’s absurd. Not only is turf dangerous, grass looks better too. 

14 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I went back to check and the research that the NFLPA presented to the NFL in 2020 stated that it was actually 88% for ACLs and 32% for ankle/foot injuries.

Edited by Eazy-E

11 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

I went back to check and the research that the NFLPA presented to the NFL in 2020 stated that it was actually 88% for ACLs and 32% for ankle/foot injuries.

Confusing. I wonder if they were looking at college as well? I know those surfaces can be pretty bad.

Here is another good source.

https://www.brockusa.com/wp-portfolio/ajsm-nfl-higher-rates-of-lower-extremity-injury-on-synthetic-turf-compared-with-natural-turf-among-nfl-athletes-2019/

Ive heard these surfaces have changed a lot over the years. I can’t find any good info on the differences and injury rates though.

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

Confusing. I wonder if they were looking at college as well? I know those surfaces can be pretty bad.

Here is another good source.

https://www.brockusa.com/wp-portfolio/ajsm-nfl-higher-rates-of-lower-extremity-injury-on-synthetic-turf-compared-with-natural-turf-among-nfl-athletes-2019/

Ive heard these surfaces have changed a lot over the years. I can’t find any good info on the differences and injury rates though.

Yeah also knowing the NFLPA is trying to make a point I’m sure who ever is doing the research and coming up with the number is obviously doing it in the favor of the NFLPA.

Still, even if it’s only a small percentage increase, it can still be completely avoided by just having everyone use the same grass field.