• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More details on the Gilmore Trade

CarolinaLivin

More details on the Stephon Gilmore trade: In a surprising end to what was already a surprising piece of news, the Patriots traded cornerback Stephon Gilmore to the Panthers on Wednesday for a 2023 sixth-round pick hours after it was first reported that New England was set on releasing him.

During an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio’s “Movin’ The Chains” show, Carolina general manager Scott Fitterer offered some background on how the Gilmore deal came together.

“Really, the opportunity kind of came about, we started hearing things about it [Tuesday] night, and then [Wednesday] morning, something came out on the internet that he was being released,” said Fitterer.

“So Pat Stewart, who is our VP of player personnel, called up to [Patriots director of player personnel] Dave Ziegler, and they started conversations, and as the morning went on, you heard, ‘Hey, teams are getting involved. You may have to trade for him now.’”

Fitterer noted that Carolina — having already lost cornerback (and 2021 first-round pick) Jaycee Horn for multiple months due to a broken foot — didn’t want to delay on a potential deal.

“So instead of just waiting and seeing what happened and waiting for him to be released, we just thought we’d be aggressive and go out and take a shot on him,” Fitterer explained. “We just love what he’s going to bring to our organization.”

Given that Stewart worked for the Patriots from 2007-2017 in the team’s scouting department, he was the natural choice to reach out to Ziegler.

In the end, the two teams got a deal done, and New England was able to recoup a draft pick for the departing cornerback.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2021/10/07/stephon-gilmore-trade-details-panthers-gm/

• Pie 9

I was gonna post a thread yesterday about something related to the gist of this blurb with the main point being, the reason we're able to do all of these deals now is because our organization has branched out, expanded our talent pool in the front office by acquiring talent evaluators with far-reaching connections throughout the league, and now have the ears and respect of people who matter.  Fitt is the straw that stirs the drink, who happens to be a mad genius who is constantly looking for the next move to upgrade the roster and when the value is right, he is more than ready to pull the trigger.  He is truly an insanely bright, creative, and aggressive GM.  But, I think what is equally important is, those connections I mentioned, as well as Fitt's disarming, and charming nature as an everyman with incredible people skills. 

In regards to the connections, we have so many guys now that we have brought in who have experience and connections that are invaluable.  Just as in this case, Stewart had the relationship with Ziegler - and that matters.  When we traded for Darnold, Fitt and Rhule already had a good dialogue and relationship with Douglas there, and it laid the foundation for that trade.  And even when there isn't an obvious existing connection, that's where Fitt's pesonality, due diligence, and persistence comes in, such as with acquiring CJ Henderson.  And in all of his dealings, I get the feeling that he earns the respect from other front offices in how he approaches them and negotiates with them, which lays down the ground work for a future business relationship. 

It's obvious that in the past, our organization was so closed off from the rest of the league and were seemingly so nepotistic and incestuous in many ways...  we didn't recruit from the outside, we kept everything in-house, and we didn't allow for much dialogue or relationship building with other teams.  I always got the feeling that we weren't very respected or even well-liked outside of a very few.  When other organizations respect you, the whole dynamic changes - when you call, they listen.  When you have a much larger network of professional connections, you're well-regarded, and you're good at your job, it allows you to make a call and get a former DPOY for a 6th round pick before other teams really even have a chance to make a competitive offer.  These things would never happen under Hurney or Gettleman.  Both were extremely flawed in their own ways, and I think their biggest common denominator was that they lacked good communication skills, which in turn hurt their professional relationships around the league, which in turn, closed doors off before they even had a chance to open.

I keep thinking back to an interview during one of the preseason games and Fitt told the story of how the trade for Sam came about, and he mentioned the conversations and checking-in periodically with Douglas in NY.  Smitty then made a crack at NY and how no one there has any idea of what they're doing, and Fitt immediately defended Douglas in a very disarming kind of way.  That has always stood out to me.  In observing that and how Tepper said Fitt came in and kind of busted his balls in a last minute interview for a job in which he hadn't even previously been considered a day or two before, it is clear that Fitt's interpersonal skills and ability to win over people are an asset that can't be quantified, but they are absolutely the most valuable assets a front office can have.  Add in the connections from around the league we now also have from football guys in the front office like Sulaiman, Stewart, and Morgan, and it is the perfect recipe for the supreme talent acquisition capabilities that we're seeing now.  

What a time to be alive.

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I was gonna post a thread yesterday about something related to the gist of this blurb with the main point being, the reason we're able to do all of these deals now is because our organization has branched out, expanded our talent pool in the front office by acquiring talent evaluators with far-reaching connections throughout the league, and now have the ears and respect of people who matter.  Fitt is the straw that stirs the drink, who happens to be a mad genius who is constantly looking for the next move to upgrade the roster and when the value is right, he is more than ready to pull the trigger.  He is truly an insanely bright, creative, and aggressive GM.  But, I think what is equally important is, those connections I mentioned, as well as Fitt's disarming, and charming nature as an everyman with incredible people skills. 

In regards to the connections, we have so many guys now that we have brought in who have experience and connections that are invaluable.  Just as in this case, Stewart had the relationship with Ziegler - and that matters.  When we traded for Darnold, Fitt and Rhule already had a good dialogue and relationship with Douglas there, and it laid the foundation for that trade.  And even when there isn't an obvious existing connection, that's where Fitt's pesonality, due diligence, and persistence comes in, such as with acquiring CJ Henderson.  And in all of his dealings, I get the feeling that he earns the respect from other front offices in how he approaches them and negotiates with them, which lays down the ground work for a future business relationship. 

It's obvious that in the past, our organization was so closed off from the rest of the league and were seemingly so nepotistic and incestuous in many ways...  we didn't recruit from the outside, we kept everything in-house, and we didn't allow for much dialogue or relationship building with other teams.  I always got the feeling that we weren't very respected or even well-liked outside of a very few.  When other organizations respect you, the whole dynamic changes - when you call, they listen.  When you have a much larger network of professional connections, you're well-regarded, and you're good at your job, it allows you to make a call and get a former DPOY for a 6th round pick before other teams really even have a chance to make a competitive offer.  These things would never happen under Hurney or Gettleman.  Both were extremely flawed in their own ways, and I think their biggest common denominator was that they lacked good communication skills, which in turn hurt their professional relationships around the league, which in turn, closed doors off before they even had a chance to open.

I keep thinking back to an interview during one of the preseason games and Fitt told the story of how the trade for Sam came about, and he mentioned the conversations and checking-in periodically with Douglas in NY.  Smitty then made a crack at NY and how no one there has any idea of what they're doing, and Fitt immediately defended Douglas in a very disarming kind of way.  That has always stood out to me.  In observing that and how Tepper said Fitt came in and kind of busted his balls in a last minute interview for a job in which he hadn't even previously been considered a day or two before, it is clear that Fitt's interpersonal skills and ability to win over people are an asset that can't be quantified, but they are absolutely the most valuable assets a front office can have.  Add in the connections from around the league we now also have from football guys in the front office like Sulaiman, Stewart, and Morgan, and it is the perfect recipe for the supreme talent acquisition capabilities that we're seeing now.  

What a time to be alive.

Don't know if you're an Athletic subscriber, but they do an annual thing where they talk to player agents and ask them about front office personnel from every team.

Fitterer was mentioned a couple of times in this year's article, described by agents as trustworthy, a stand up guy, a good negotiator and someone easy to talk to.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Don't know if you're an Athletic subscriber, but they do an annual thing where they talk to player agents and ask them about front office personnel from every team.

Fitterer was mentioned a couple of times in this year's article, described by agents as trustworthy, a stand up guy, a good negotiator and someone easy to talk to.

That's incredible.  I'm not subscribed and had no idea about that piece.  My take was strictly off watching his pressers, interviews, the accounts given from Tepper, and obviously the amazing results we've been getting ina record number of trades completed lol.  But, those characteristics are exactly what I see in him, and it has proven to be one of the greatest assets we could ever hope for in our front office (talent evaluation isn't too shabby either 😂).

• Beer 1

Just now, KSpan said:

I love how a 2023 6th round pick is classified as 'aggressive'. One could interpret that as the front office truly understanding the market.

No doubt, the front office absolutely has an incredible grasp of market value.  By aggressive, I'm referring to the willingness to seek out upgrades, not outbid people for them.

• Pie 2

Just now, Proudiddy said:

That's incredible.  I'm not subscribed and had no idea about that piece.  My take was strictly off watching his pressers, interviews, the accounts given from Tepper, and obviously the amazing results we've been getting ina record number of trades completed lol.  But, those characteristics are exactly what I see in him, and it has proven to be one of the greatest assets we could ever hope for in our front office (talent evaluation isn't too shabby either 😂).

I mean hey, he took a little dig at Tepper during his initial interview and still wound up with the job, so 😄

• Pie 3

It just seems like Jerry was content with being a decent winner and making money and if the Super Bowl happens hey great but as long as we’re not an embarrassment and making money the Panthers are ok. 

Compare that with Dave Tepper who has let it be known he doesn’t want to just win a Super Bowl….he wants MULTIPLE Super Bowls. That’s how you end up with creative, aggressive outside the box hires like Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer.

• Pie 1