• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold’s Upside

HardcoreHokie

8 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Did I step on some feelings?

You went from getting rep for a decent post, only to blow that out of the water with your snarky azz attitude. Forgot who I was dealing with for a moment there. Won't happen again.

Edited by iamhubby1
  • Beer 1

24 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

You went from getting rep for a decent post, only to blow that out of the water with your snarky azz attitude. Forgot who I was dealing with for a moment there. Won't happen again.

I wasn't being snarky. 

I was making a statement.  

I was merely pointing out it's not an  Insurmountable task. 

Keep the internet rep. Like it means anything to begin with. 

Edited by pantherclaw

8 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I wasn't being snarky. 

I was making a statement.  

I was merely pointing out it's not an  Insurmountable task. 

Keep the internet rep. Like it means anything to begin with. 

Cam is a pretty big task.   I mean he is the biggest superstar we have ever had.  That’s not an easy jump.   

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

Cam is a pretty big task.   I mean he is the biggest superstar we have ever had.  That’s not an easy jump.   

There's no doubt Sam has his work cut out for him. But man, he is playing with a much much better FO. If he can sustain the success he has already achieved. And he can hang around for enough years. Yeah, he has a chance for more team success than Cam.

Does that make him the best QB in team history? 

4 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

There's no doubt Sam has his work cut out for him. But man, he is playing with a much much better FO. If he can sustain the success he has already achieved. And he can hang around for enough years. Yeah, he has a chance for more team success than Cam.

Does that make him the best QB in team history? 

I think all it takes is a trip to the Super Bowl to be in the same conversation as Cam, and simply winning the Super Bowl to surpass him. I suppose smashing his stats could also be a way of surpassing him as well, which Sam looks to be very capable of.

2 minutes ago, Ghostface Chilla said:

I think all it takes is a trip to the Super Bowl to be in the same conversation as Cam, and simply winning the Super Bowl to surpass him. I suppose smashing his stats could also be a way of surpassing him as well, which Sam looks to be very capable of.

I  have no doubt in my mind that Sam is set up to have more TEAM success than Cam.

As for individual stats? Sam is off to a great start. So we will just have to wait and see on that front.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, CRA said:

Situation defiantly matters.   I mean, I don’t think Sam is really much different of a player today than last year.  What is dramatically different is the scenario he is in.  

You put Tom Brady on the Jets right now and he would suck.  Jets might be a little better but it would knock him down several pegs.  Same dude though. 

Well I mean we can say that but both Brady and Rodgers got good coaching to begin with. I'm not sure Rookie Brady or Rodgers would fair better. Darnold has really good accuracy. Prob better than any QB we have had since Steve Beuerlein. I can't really tell you exactly how good his Football IQ is because he's only been in the system a short time. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, Snake said:

Given even Aaron Rodgers would probably have that floor with what was given with the jets. 

This.

The jets were 0-10 when Sam didn't play during his years there.  In fact, in 2019 Sam had a WINNING QB record.  One of my first threads pointed out how bad the jets performed in nearly aspect of the game, from rushing to punting to kickoff to pass d.  They were bottom of the league in nearly every measure throughout the game.

Without Sam they literally couldn't win a single game. 

From a  jets team planning meeting:

moneyball-50feet-of-crap.gif

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, CRA said:

Situation defiantly matters.   I mean, I don’t think Sam is really much different of a player today than last year.  What is dramatically different is the scenario he is in.  

You put Tom Brady on the Jets right now and he would suck.  Jets might be a little better but it would knock him down several pegs.  Same dude though. 

All in all, I agree with this. I would like to add though, Sam has gotten a ton of Coaching since we got ahold of him. We really don't know how much better that has made him. But it defiantly had to help him a bunch.

So, in general, he is the same QB. But ability wise, right now, he is a better QB.

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

It's not a stretch to say, at the end of his time with the Panthers,  Sam could end up being the best QB to have played for this franchise.  

Possible.  We'll see.  If he leads us some day to win a SB, I could see that.  He's gong to have to really hoist the team on his back on some game winning drives to displace Cam.  

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We have people crying in here because I've pointed out that suggesting that any developing QB's floor is a guy coming off a 3800 yard, 33 TD, 7 INT season is absurd. That's not a knock on Sam Darnold in anyway shape or form. It's a knock on certain posters' having room temperature IQs for not realizing how absurd of a comparison that is. I'm not knocking Sam. I'm knocking y'all. And laughing at y'all.

tenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Because you still have that Sam Howell avatar. LMAO!

8 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Possible.  We'll see.  If he leads us some day to win a SB, I could see that.  He's gong to have to really hoist the team on his back on some game winning drives to displace Cam.  

I believe with Fitt, Rhule, and Co. Sam is set up nicely. He may have more TEAM success than Cam. But it will be a while before we can start worrying about individual stats. But man, Sam is off to a great start.

• Pie 1