• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is this a Red shirt year for Brown?

Panther53521

On 10/15/2021 at 8:49 AM, mrcompletely11 said:

I think showing up at 360lbs probably tells you all one needs to know about Brown

And drafting him knowing he has had this problem his whole career tells you all that is needed to know about the pro ready evaluation process on the offensive side of the field 

a Cb, a wr, and a third RD LT, that barely sees the field plus Brown 

not a QB or LT

Brown may be  heavy but he did just fine at Bama.  They drafted him. They should play him. He is off IR. He can either play or  he can’t   I had read he had dropped 30 lbs 

• Flames 1

On 10/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, chbright said:

Duke Robinson anyone? We all were clamoring to get him on the field and didn't work out as expected as an every down guy.

Donte was a load in college on a star studded (for NCAA) line. His dominance was as much due to his physical strength more than technique. If he latched on to you, it was game over. I think too many people made a huge deal out of his shortcomings shown at the senior bowl. Yes he was whipped on 1-1 drills. Surprise surprise, a 370lb guard isn't great in space. He would be targeted every down to get him in space where he struggles. Now it would be hard to get him on that island every down, but expect you would see a few ugly plays as this isn't the NCAA so he is going against much better talent all around and it's not like he has a stud OL on each side of him like in college.

I like that they are not rushing a 6th rounder with some weight issues onto the field as a starter. Think it is a little baffling why he isn't dressed as a backup and heavy load package guy in short yardage. He would be a small liability if you check out of a run, but I'd be damned if he isn't as effective as a TE trying to get a push in short yardage situations, a place we have really struggled the past 3 years. Unless the staff think his weight is big injury risk, I think it's time to ease him into NFL games as a jumbo blocker vs chucking a FB/3rd the out there. 

Then why draft him to take up a roster space. He can either do it or he can’t and if he can’t, what is he doing here 

It's been my opinion up to this point to defer to the coaches about Brown. 

However, I believe it is definitely time to play him. We know the guy can run block, but may struggle in pass blocking. We are already struggling in pass protection with the current guys. You now have a backfield of CMC and Cam Newton, let this road grader make some holes for them. I mean didn't Rhule say he wants to run the ball?  The threat of an explosive run game will slow down the pass rush as well.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Brown was another one of our gaffes at OL. No way after the Senior Bowl do you take him over Trey Smith. I honestly think we thought our OL was better than it is. We should have been looking at instant starters not future depth. Take Smith first and then Brown instead of a LS. Ugh, still get a little triggered on OL!

This 

is the truth. And if I’m Tepper I’d be saying ‘you e had two years. Do you need help on this side of the ball with talent evaluation or Cushing  because not one oline move have you made in those two years that has worked for the oline 

the only serviceable player is Moton and that’s a different gm