• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What did they see in Darnold?

GoobyPls

1 hour ago, Mage said:

They saw a QB with a lot of physical talent

Unfortunately I don't think they accounted for the fact that he A) lacks the competitive drive that great QBs have (I'm not saying he doesn't work hard or doesn't love football, but he clearly doesn't have another edge to his attitude or game) and B) doesn't have the mental side of the game

Sam has that Tim Teb0w vibe to me where he's a great athlete but can't play QB worth a sh*t. 

Maybe he would fare better being converted into a Tight-End or something since he runs well...LOL.

• Beer 1

Complete failure at all levels, players and staff. Sam and the other duds we brought on, except the rookies, this offseason all had NFL tape and most of it was beyond bad and/or sever injury concerns. Hubris in player development goes so far before you have to admit it was also very bad evaluation. 

Beyond a handful of players worth keeping, the rest could be dumped tomorrow and it's a hard bet to make against it that not being an instant improvement simply by addition through subtraction. 

At this point, anything less than quantifiable production is BS and a waste of time. There is so much blame to share and so little worthy of praise. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

We literally had all these clues on Sam.    He has been the worst starter in the NFL the last 3 years coming to this season.   Everything he is doing horribly…..he displayed to the world over the last 3 NFL seasons before he got here.  And he had the issues coming out of college too before the Jets touched him.   He has been the same guy everywhere he has ever played. 

just like with Teddy, some hoped he could be different than what he had proven to be for years and years.    But yeah, we clearly had the clues on Sam.  

At this point let's agree to disagree..

You're not going to convince me that taking a low risk move on a talented young player is bad move..

You were convinced a player is what he is after 3 season in a terrible situation.. I wasn't..

You were also convinced about Jake Delhome in New Orleans as well I guess..

1 hour ago, WOW!! said:

What about Young, Doug Williams, .. You got a excuse for them??

they just aren’t comparable scenarios. 

I mean Favre and Sam just aren’t comps.  Not the situations at all.  Again, Favre had a total of 4 pass attempts.  Packers didn’t take in a guy who stunk up the league for 3 straight years to be the dude. 

and Young and Williams weren’t picked up to be the man either after being train wrecks for 3 years.   Young went and sat behind what was the GOAT for almost half a decade before shot #2.   Doug left the NFL entirely and was eventually brought back in as a backup.  

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

You're not going to convince me that taking a low risk move on a talented young player is bad move..

You were convinced a player is what he is after 3 season in a terrible situation.. I wasn't..

I knew nothing about Jake Delhomme. Never saw him play before he suited up for us.  

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

they just aren’t comparable scenarios. 

I mean Favre and Sam just aren’t comps.  Not the situations at all.  Again, Favre had a total of 4 pass attempts.  Packers didn’t take in a guy who stunk up the league for 3 straight years to be the dude. 

and Young and Williams weren’t picked up to be the man either after being train wrecks for straight 3 years.   Young went and sat behind what was the GOAT for almost half a decade before shot #2.   Doug left the NFL entirely and was eventually brought back in as a backup.  

That's Bull poo and you know it.. Its way more comparable situation then you want to give credence to..

You can make a point and be wrong its okay...  

Are you here really saying players never suck at 1 team never get better on another??

14 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Low risk?

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

That's Bull poo and you know it.. Its way more comparable situation then you want to give credence to..

You can make a point and be wrong its okay...  

Are you here really saying players never suck at 1 team never get better on another??

It took Doug and Young years to get a second shot.   That’s what should of happened to Sam.  See if he could be fixed.   Time.  And then he be given an opportunity to play again…if he deserved and earned it.  

Sam should of been on the Mitch Trubisky path.  That’s the normal path for a bad QB like Sam.    

there isn’t a example of a QB as bad as Sam….just playing his way out of it with a new uniform. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

It took Doug and Young years to get a second shot.   That’s what should of happened to Sam.  See if he could be fixed.   Time.  And then he be given an opportunity to play again…if he deserved and earned it.  

Sam should of been on the Mitch Trubisky path.  That’s the normal path for a bad QB like Sam.    

there isn’t a example of a QB as bad as Sam….just playing his way out of being so bad.  

Not the same league.. Player get 2nd chances shot quicker now.. 

Just like Rookie QBS don't sit 2 years before starting now as well..

If we had a Josh Allen maybe we could have done that but ...........

Edited by WOW!!

17 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Not the same league.. Player get 2nd chances shot quicker now.. 

Trubisky? Rosen? Bortles? Gabbert? Locker? EJ?  Ponder? 

I mean what we attempted with Sam is unique.   No one is snatching up the really bad busted QBs and rolling with them right away. 

Seems like the path Young and them took still is in play.  Got to earn your way back to a chance.  

making Sam the dude seems like a pretty self inflicted mistake that a front office shouldn’t make IMO.  Got no issue with bringing a someone like him in to an org.  But you have to actually see if you can fix them first.   

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, WOW!! said:

1 pick ... I know you want to act like we didn't get those picks back.. But reality is all we end up giving up is 1 2nd round pick for Sam... 

And I don't blame the effort nor do I think it was a crazy plan... It has worked before when a highly drafted QB goes to a different team and has a better career..

Favre, Young, Brees, and others...

Farve hot garbage in Atlanta,  Young and Doug Williams hot Garbage in Tampa..

Favre and Young are outliers, I can name 5 other QBs for every Favre or Young.

I was right when I compared him to Josh Rosen. They just suck no matter the circumstances, no sugarcoating it.

• Pie 1