• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person on Watson, Darnold, Tepper, Brady...and more.

ellis

54 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

image.png.209d2ce380002531115b865f9e978b5c.png

And we thought Darnold had a rough game last Sunday. 

Did you watch any of it? Two strip sacks in under 1.5 seconds by having an offensive lineman out there who did not practice the whole week but was thrust into the starting lineup due to a Covid case in the locker room. Meanwhile the normal backup was on the sideline. They yanked the guy after the second whiffed block and didn’t put him back in. 

On the first INT the coordinator told fields the defense had 12 men on the field in his headset and to snap the ball and throw it up. There were not 12 men on the field. The coaches are a joke. The second INT went through the hands of Mooney on a play where he jumped and had the ball almost hit him in the helmet. 

The third pick was an awful throw and 100% his fault. 

Edited by Varking

4 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Joe Person's theory is Darnold was a Rhule/Fitt move. I think with more patience they probably would have kept Teddy and drafted Fields. Tepper probably thinking about those ticket and jersey sales right now, who's buying a Darnold or Horn jersey at this point? I know the jersey money is shared but it coincides with excitement/hope and ticket sales

Did you here the interview... Tepper was done with Teddy before the end of the season.. No amount of patience was going to make Tepper want Teddy on this team.  If he had gotten his way Fields would be in the Zach Wilson situation the starter from TC with maybe a old retred as a Backup.. But Teddy was gone before the season ended.. And we heard it all offseason in the way Tep talked about him...

• Beer 1

10 hours ago, CRA said:

and Sam being a bad jittery one read QB that doesn’t see the field….and everyone in the NFL knew he couldn’t see the field…that basically needs a perfect scenario to be okay. 

Yet we had a staff that "talked themselves into" getting him and a bunch of fans that believe he is the guy.

It's telling when NFL experienced announcer after announcer talk about how he is fuging it up during our games but you have dolts like Terry Bradshaw endorsing him.

The people that didn't think he was doing the same poo in the first 3 games just weren't paying attention. As Joe pointed out, CMC was covering up a lot of flaws. Which, keep in mind that during those three games CMC was accounting for 22% of Darnold's completions and about 18% of his yardage. That is not an insignificant loss.

Same with the "can't see the field" comments. It's so UNBELIEVABLY OBVIOUS this is an issue. And this isn't going to get fixed. This isn't something is likely even fixable! 

10 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I think Brady could do a better job of adjusting, but looking back on film Darnolds just not even looking at his check downs...Still don't understand Brady not calling more running plays, especially last week when Royce was getting 6 yards a carry in a 2 point game

I mean it is year 2 of being an OC for Brady.  I agree with Person, that he has game flow stuff and situational stuff needs to work on.  But that was always part of the deal when we hired him. 

but we are asking the a green OC to learn feel of a game and flow...while we give him the worst QB and OL in the NFL to figure it out.  Which doesn't really work.    I mean, he can't run so much basic stuff.  Almost every aspect of the game has to be schemed around defencies.  And you are just going to fail often because the talent is too bad.   Brady can call great plays at great moments.....and it all look like poo because of Sam and the OL. 

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean it is year 2 of being an OC for Brady.  I agree with Person, that he has game flow stuff and situational stuff needs to work on.  But that was always part of the deal when we hired him. 

but we are asking the a green OC to learn feel of a game and flow...while we give him the worst QB and OL in the NFL to figure it out.  Which doesn't really work.    I mean, he can't run so much basic stuff.  Almost every aspect of the game has to be schemed around defencies.  And you are just going to fail often because the talent is too bad.   Brady can call great plays at great moments.....and it all look like poo because of Sam and the OL. 

I think Brady just ascended too quickly and the NFL is not the place to develop. He should have gone to a small school as an OC(preferably under an already established offensive coach), cut his chops there for a couple of years, moved up to OC at a football factory school and then he has 3-5 years of experience and learning. 

This was just a bridge too far and even Rhule doesn't have enough experience to mentor him on how to do that job effectively. 

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think Brady just ascended too quickly and the NFL is not the place to develop. He should have gone to a small school as an OC(preferably under an already established offensive coach), cut his chops there for a couple of years, moved up to OC at a football factory school and then he has 3-5 years of experience and learning. 

This was just a bridge too far and even Rhule doesn't have enough experience to mentor him on how to do that job effectively. 

I think he could develop in the NFL in the right spot.   We aren't giving him the basics at this point.  We did last year.  Not the dumpster fire QB/OL combo Rhule gave him this year.   Sam is just too bad.  A bad pairing. 

you need to give him a Ryan Fitzpatrick (or the Teddy's of the world), someone like that.  I think Joe Brady would keep trending in the right direction.   I think Brady's base scheme and concepts are perfectly fine.  He needs a functional QB.  Which Sam has never been.  He can take a flawed QB like Teddy and make it work.  But Teddy was functional.  Knew how to play in the NFL.  Just didn't have the arm to make all the plays. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I think he could develop in the NFL in the right spot.   We aren't giving him the basics at this point.  We did last year.  Not the dumpster fire QB/OL combo Rhule gave him this year.   Sam is just too bad.  A bad pairing. 

If you gave him a Ryan Fitzpatrick (or the Teddy's of the world), someone like that.  Well, I think Joe Brady would keep trending in the right direction.   I think Brady's base scheme and concepts are perfectly fine.  He needs a functional QB.  Which Sam has never been.  He can take a flawed QB like Teddy and make it work.  But Teddy was functional.  Knew how to play in the NFL.  Just didn't have the arm to make all the plays. 

Yeah but that doesn't fix his problems with choppy playcalling or not understanding the flow of the game. That takes experience and time. He literally hasn't had that. 

He needs to be in a spot where he could have learned at a better pace. The NFL is just not it as an active coordinator. 

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

you need to give him a Ryan Fitzpatrick (or the Teddy's of the world), someone like that.  I think Joe Brady would keep trending in the right direction.   I think Brady's base scheme and concepts are perfectly fine.  He needs a functional QB.  Which Sam has never been.  He can take a flawed QB like Teddy and make it work.  But Teddy was functional.  Knew how to play in the NFL.  Just didn't have the arm to make all the plays. 

Joe Brady is a poo OC and unless you give him Tom Brady he's going to be a poo OC. He took Darnald right back to where he was with the Jets. Horrible coach. 

Edited by Snake

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but that doesn't fix his problems with choppy playcalling or not understanding the flow of the game. That takes experience and time. He literally hasn't had that. 

He needs to be in a spot where he could have learned at a better pace. The NFL is just not it as an active coordinator. 

It's a bad pairings.  Almost textbook worst possible pairings.  Over and over on repeat. Everything comes back to Rhule.  Probably Tepper too.  These dudes have no clue how to build a NFL team from the ground up.   

Bad QB + Bad OL =  bad pairing

First time OC + Bad QB + Bad OL = bad pairing. 

College HC + College DC + College OC = bad pairing

New Owner + College HC + First time GM = bad pairing. 

I mean, build things from the ground up.  You still need to bring experienced and proven people along for the ride and I think we failed there in too many places.  You can have a first time OC....but what you pair him with matters.    You can have a project QB.  A weak OL.  But what you pair it with matters.    You can hire a college HC but who he is paired up with matters.     

Foundation of this rebuild just seems really weak and poorly done.    Forget the foundation work, let's take about light fixtures!  Here is a new DB.  Look we signed a WR to a lot of money.