• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Silver Platter Sam a viable backup QB for Panthers over the long term?

SizzleBuzz

Is Silver Platter Sam a viable backup QB for Panthers over the long term?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye?

• No.
    • Yes.

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Cam had a fine mentor.  Derek Anderson the ends and outs of being a NFL QB.  The highs and lows.  How to play the game.   I mean, you need someone in the building that knows what the fug is going on.  

I mean, you still have to hit on the talent.  Otherwise, mentors, coaching, etc.  None of that matters. 

Win/loss in games that Anderson started in the previous 3 years, 2-7, 3-4, 3-6.

He probably didn't know much more that Sam.

DA was a backup most of his career for a reason.

35 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

DA is 10 times the QB Darnold ever thought about being.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Yeah, when it comes to rehabbing a QB with Sam's issues, the Panthers have to be the worst case scenario.  He needed to sit behind a vet for at least a year before seeing any gameday action and even then only behind a decent O line w/an experienced OC feeding him the plays.

He has none of that here in Carolina.

What the hell was Rhule and company thinking? 

I think he knew we'd suck this season on offense, but it's not like he can come out and admit it. We're in a rebuild and they've invested fug all in our offense other than a couple of bad-ish (with hindsight) contracts for Sam and Robby. I'm going to give them one more offseason to see what they prioritize before I grab my pitchfork. 

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

Yeah, but we know Derek took this $hit serious... real serious.

1 hour ago, Panther'sBigD said:

I think he knew we'd suck this season on offense, but it's not like he can come out and admit it. We're in a rebuild and they've invested fug all in our offense other than a couple of bad-ish (with hindsight) contracts for Sam and Robby. I'm going to give them one more offseason to see what they prioritize before I grab my pitchfork. 

I suspect Tepper will give Rhule a third season to prove himself, but his decisions, when it comes to OC, O line and QBs these last two seasons brings Matt's judgement into serious question.  

3 hours ago, AggieLean said:

Honestly, I’m hoping we lose every game from here on out now. I doubt Watson would even want to come here, and I’ve pivoted my attention to Howell and Malik. Even if Sam has to stay next season, I’d still like for the team to try and find a cheap backup, shifting Sam to 3rd string 

Rhule would have a hard time justifying going into next season without a veteran backup.  It is comically bad how this franchise has ignored this issue for years and every year it bites them in the ass. 

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

either?  you keep acting like if we wait there is a sure thing later.

Weeelll....I think that depends on the situation with Rhule. I have given my choices umpteen times on here. What they will do is mystery. I would assume not the right thing based on their history.

I am not saying there is a sure thing. I don't believe that at all. I am saying that reaching at QB doesn't often work out. You don't see many successful panic QB draft picks.

Also, let me be completely clear, it is very possible when I am doing more detailed looks at this guys after the college football season that I may have a less negative view of one or more.

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Weeelll....I think that depends on the situation with Rhule. I have given my choices umpteen times on here. What they will do is mystery. I would assume not the right thing based on their history.

I am not saying there is a sure thing. I don't believe that at all. I am saying that reaching at QB doesn't often work out. You don't see many successful panic QB draft picks.

Also, let me be completely clear, it is very possible when I am doing more detailed looks at this guys after the college football season that I may have a less negative view of one or more.

Who are these great free agents you are counting on?

I'm just afraid you are one of these fans that is constantly waiting for the perfect QB prospect to fall in your lap, it rarely happens.  Unless you have the #1 pick and Manning or Luck is in the draft here is always a prospect with questions marks.  So what happens you fall into a constant cycle of having average free agents.  Cam had question marks, I'm sure there were other positional players that were "safer".

Would you have preferred Slater or Fields?  A lot of fans wanted Slater, especially now that he is playing well.  Slater has a better chance of turning out to be a great OT than Fields has of turning out to be a great QB but so what?  The Browns had a great LT for years, did them do good. 

Having Fields you have at least given your organization a chance to have a great QB

Going from a bad QB to a good QB helps your team exponentially more that going from a bad any other position to a good any other position and its not even close.

You pick 3 OL in the first round in three straight years, that all turn out good.  I'll pick a QB in the first round in three straight years, and if I'm right 1/3 times my franchise is in better shape than yours.

Here again I'm not saying you force a pick every year, some years the value is so far off its not worth it but at some point you have to take the gamble.

The irony is that the second position that often falls into this same mindset is LT.  They are almost always over drafted and more times than not there is a player at a different position that has a higher grade.  I'm sure Brown was graded higher than Wirfs, I'm sure Horn was graded higher than Slater.

Both positions take a commitment from the organization to spend draft resources and honestly to gamble somewhat.

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Who are these great free agents you are counting on?

I'm just afraid you are one of these fans that is constantly waiting for the perfect QB prospect to fall in your lap, it rarely happens.  Unless you have the #1 pick and Manning or Luck is in the draft here is always a prospect with questions marks.  So what happens you fall into a constant cycle of having average free agents.  Cam had question marks, I'm sure there were other positional players that were "safer".

Would you have preferred Slater or Fields?  A lot of fans wanted Slater, especially now that he is playing well.  Slater has a better chance of turning out to be a great OT than Fields has of turning out to be a great QB but so what?  The Browns had a great LT for years, did them do good. 

Having Fields you have at least given your organization a chance to have a great QB

Going from a bad QB to a good QB helps your team exponentially more that going from a bad any other position to a good any other position and its not even close.

You pick 3 OL in the first round in three straight years, that all turn out good.  I'll pick a QB in the first round in three straight years, and if I'm right 1/3 times my franchise is in better shape than yours.

Here again I'm not saying you force a pick every year, some years the value is so far off its not worth it but at some point you have to take the gamble.

The irony is that the second position that often falls into this same mindset is LT.  They are almost always over drafted and more times than not there is a player at a different position that has a higher grade.  I'm sure Brown was graded higher than Wirfs, I'm sure Horn was graded higher than Slater.

Both positions take a commitment from the organization to spend draft resources and honestly to gamble somewhat.

That is a lot of words that you are shoving in my mouth. You know we have had this exact discussion at least twice in the past few days, right?

Did I not lay out exactly what I would do, were it my choice? And that was nothing at all like you are describing.

As I have said, repeatedly, you don't reach on a guy. You believe in the prospect and go get him. 

And, yes, I was a Slater guy.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1