• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB or OL? Hypothetical qestion

AU-panther

6 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

This is a bad QB draft.

I'd probably trade down in the first round to pick up that 2nd rounder we traded away - unless we're in love with whoever is available at our pick.

We need to bring in competent starting NFL players along our iOL - at least two. That will make a world of difference. Whether that's via FA or the Draft I don't care. 

Depends on where we are in the draft. If we have the ability to get an elite LT, get him. Of we have the ability to get an elite iOL, get him. If we land in a funny range where we might be reaching and can snag two decent OL prospects by trading down, do that instead.

It's gonna be situation dependent, obviously. I would never trade down if there is a top flight OL prospect, however. That is not smart. 

That is also what I would expect to happen. 

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Martin said:

I would make him a very strong offer in free agency next offseason when he becomes a FA. Or did I not understand your question?

I also think MJ has some promise at LG, a stud LT in FA could help elevate his play. Then you can attack C and RG in FA/draft. Might be wishful thinking in my part, but I like that direction.

If there is a QB there that you like you take the QB -- We were set up so PERFECT this past off-season, two top QB's fall to us at #8, we could have the rookie and Darnold compete and let the best man win as AT THE TIME, Darnold was only 4M on the books, and a rookie would come with a 4 year deal & 5th year option. 

So even if Darnold won the job in camp, the rookie would be there to learn / develop and be ready to start in 2022. 

Instead, we paid Darnold 18M+ and are in a position where we will need to pony up to either trade for a QB (Watson), or trade up via the draft. 

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He will be 32 next year.   Haven’t we learned?

Trent Williams is 33, Andrew Whiteorth is 39, etc. You can get a great LT in his early 30s. But if you are only looking for All Pro LTs in their mid 20s, then yes, you won’t find that 

• Beer 1

55 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

For fugs sake you cannot build a line through free agency.  fuging a how many times have we tried this?   

to be fair, we've only had pennies to spend. that's not the case now.

Go get Terron Armstead from the saints and try to snag Ben Jones from the titans or draft the best available center if you can't get Jones. Grab a top FA OG and draft a top OG. boom.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Panthera onca said:

We have to go all in on Watson in the offseason, it's our only hope to be relevant anytime soon.

I’m not sure it’s our only hope but I think Tepper has had enough and Rhule is gonna get himself fired if he doesn’t win next year. So you’re either gonna gamble that you’re a QB whisperer (hasn’t been the case) and take a rookie or you’re gonna break the bank for Watson. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Depends on the caliber of prospect. QB will always be the #1 priority in the modern NFL. It's the most important position on the field.

But if you have an elite OL prospect available and middling QB prospects, you take OL. If you have elite QB and OL prospects available, you take QB. 

Our issue on the OL cannot be fixed solely by free agency. It will be far, far too expensive. It also isn't going to get fixed in one offseason, the needs are far too many. 

Ideally, get a great OL prospect in round one this year(provided no elite QB prospect are available) and that is at least a start. Add another above average OL in free agency and now we have some base to work from. 

Just keep steadily building and investing in the OL(and any othet obvious holes) while you maneuver for an elite QB. Either in free agency, via trade or through the draft. 

But, both situations have to change. You can't have a bottom tier OL and the worst QB in the NFL. That won't work anywhere.

bottom 5 OL and bottom 5 QBs don't seem to go to well together. 🙂  

Out of curiosity was is your idea of an elite QB prospect in the draft?  I know you don't think there are any in 2022 draft, which there might not be, but what is your idea of one?  Fields? Wilson?  Trevor?

8 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

bottom 5 OL and bottom 5 QBs don't seem to go to well together. 🙂  

Out of curiosity was is your idea of an elite QB prospect in the draft?  I know you don't think there are any in 2022 draft, which there might not be, but what is your idea of one?  Fields? Wilson?  Trevor?

I had the 2021 class as this:

Elite

1. Lawrence

2. Lance

Near Elite

3. Fields

High Risk Gamble

4. Wilson

Low Ceiling, High Floor

5. Jones

I definitely was much higher on Lance than almost anyone. 

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I had the 2021 class as this:

Elite

1. Lawrence

2. Lance

Near Elite

3. Fields

High Risk Gamble

4. Wilson

Low Ceiling, High Floor

5. Jones

I definitely was much higher on Lance than almost anyone. 

Loved Lance, Josh Allen vibes. That price tag tho is a back breaker.