• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Missing a true deep threat.

TheMaulClaw

2 hours ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I think Rhule understands that based on our offensive limitations e.g. below average OL, shaky QB situation, etc., playing a conservative style offense is our best chance to win this year. We weren’t nearly as conservative last year and once these issues get addressed, we should get back to a pro style offense. JMO

But I don't think he's tailoring the offense to personnel. Inversely, I think he is tailoring the personnel to what he thinks a winning offense should play like, and has been trying to do so since he got here.

Look at the QBs he brought in.  Those were his guys.  I have watched every post game presser and most Monday pressers this season, and Rhule has repeatedly said winning football is controlling the line of scrimmage and running the ball.  He has specifically stated and emphasized the "running the ball" part.  Pair those ideals with who he believed could quarterback the offense and it's clear he wants to rely on the defense while minimizing mistakes and controlling the clock on offense, regardless of what other personnel we field.  Teddy was always a game manager.  Sam's best case-scenario was a game manager.  And that's why I believe he didn't want Cam but was forced to bring him back - Cam makes plays himself and doesn't fit the mold of the two other guys in that he doesn't need to rely on 10 other guys to carry him to a win.  That is a specific style suited for ball control offenses...  runs, dump downs, checkdowns, etc., and let the skill position guys make plays after the handoff or catch and eat up clock.  That's what Rhule really wants.

He said himself Sunday that he was completely satisfied with 7 yards per attempted pass.  And judging from what we see every Sunday, it doesn't appear we design any passes where the deep route is the first read in the progression...  it doesn't jibe with Rhule's idea of winning football, so we don't do it.

I also think that's why Brady hasn't been fired.  He's trying to do what Rhule wants, he just sucks at his job.

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Robby Anderson was considered a one trick pony as a deep threat when we initially brought him in.

I haven't seen him even get open this year. When he does he drops it.  I don't think he commands so much respect where he forces opposing safeties to play deep. 

Well every one bitches and moaned about completion percentage etc etc nowadays so now that we run this dink and dunk stuff we miss the deep shots we are accustomed to vintage cam delivering.

I’m done with Brady and this offense he’s running, very bland and basic, nothing innovative nothing schemed to take advantage of teams weaknesses.

I’ll give credit for even being able to get the plays he’s ran with cam in in such short notice, but what Robby said about teams knowing our plays seems to hold some truth 

9 hours ago, trueblade said:

I have to push back on this idea. Since Cam's return, we've been very good in the red zone.

Okay but you can’t run with Cam in the red zone every time. You got to have a guy with size. People forgot Olsen scored around 60 TDs here and size and reach was a lot of it. Even Benjamin had 20-25 TDs here. Not even gonna start on Moose.