• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jermaine Carter

MHS831

12 hours ago, Tinamedina said:

to be honest, shaq thompson only had 1 elite year, and thats this year. wanting him to be traded was a fair assessment because up until now neither he nor donte was producing. donte got better and shaq, i believe the coaches are choosing to play him like he played in college : linebacker who plays like a safety. smart decision.

How was he supposed to get playing time when Luke and TD were on the field? When he finally did get a chance to regularly start, he had to line up next to Luke behind one of the worst defensive line performances we've seen on the field.

Follow that up with a new staff and it's no surprise that casual observers are just now starting to appreciate what Shaq brings to the table.

11 hours ago, Icege said:

How was he supposed to get playing time when Luke and TD were on the field? When he finally did get a chance to regularly start, he had to line up next to Luke behind one of the worst defensive line performances we've seen on the field.

Follow that up with a new staff and it's no surprise that casual observers are just now starting to appreciate what Shaq brings to the table.

when you're on the field, theres always space to make plays, shaq didn't. look at chinn, he was a rookie and he was outplaying shaq last year, thats facts. luke did all the work and shaq mainly followed behind him. luke would literally be telling players where to go and what to do. i get it though, i don't think coaches played shaq to his strengths up until now. 

Edited by Tinamedina

9 hours ago, Tinamedina said:

when you're on the field, theres always space to make plays, shaq didn't. look at chinn, he was a rookie and he was outplaying shaq last year, thats facts. luke did all the work and shaq mainly followed behind him. luke would literally be telling players where to go and what to do. i get it though, i don't think coaches played shaq to his strengths up until now. 

This is why scheme is so important to understand along with the personnel available. Shaq was playing next to Tahir Whitehead last season. Chinn was being lined up all over the defense. One was put next to a cavernous hole on the defense and the other was put in positions to make a play on the ball. Shaq's rookie season? Ron Rivera demanded that he be the buffalo nickel.

Luke was the leader of this defense and... well... there's no shame in being second fiddle to him. I see a lot of comparisons to Kuechly as if it shows that Shaq isn't that good when in actuality that attests to how solid he is.

The fact that the coaches are now finally starting to get more out of Shaq's versatility rather than forcing him to be the buffalo nickel is a welcome sight.

• Pie 1

If teams regularly get into and past the second level of the defense with rushing plays, the problem is your MLB. 

A MLB must be able to diagnose both offensive line push, backs movement, play calling tendency and be able to react to the breakdown of the defensive line on every play. That's the hardest, most cerebral job on the defense. 

MLB, more than any other position on the entire team, has been the feature the Panthers have been known for throughout their existence, from Luke on back. The absence of such a guy is pretty glaring.

I can't tell with out all 22. Which Dlinemen were in? Scheme and personnel matter in this conversation. I love the Burns & Riddick combo but it looks lite up front at times this year. 

Also, what about moving Chinn back to roaming LBer and out of Safety? Just put a CB in his spot and let Chinn come back up with Shaq on the 2nd level. 

I don't know how bad or ok Carter is playing, the scheme looks off at times where the matchups are not looking very favorable.