• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Graziano on possible Panthers options on Sam Darnold's contract

TheSpecialJuan

2 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

-   Panthers could convert $17.823 of Darnold's salary into a signing bonus and then add dummy years to the contract to spread the cap hit out over 5 years 

-   This would drop Darnold's cap hit in 2022 to about $4.6

Given the way he's being shat upon why would Sam agree to anything of this nature?

Pay the man...

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It wouldn't cost him any money. He'd actually get it quicker. He'd get it up front instead of as weekly game checks.

Again...

...what motivation does Silver Platter Sam have to help the team that has shat upon him?

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Pie 1

10 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Again...

...what motivation does Sam have to help the team that has shat upon him?

Because even thou he is an awful QB he is a stand up dude with good character. Even jets fans know this. I have no doubt he’d do it.

1 hour ago, Carolina Cajun said:

While I agree and I want to see how cam plays out the rest of the season, if cam is the guy we need a good backup.  Not a knock on cam. But he hasn't played a full season since 2017 (last year he was out a few games with covid).  Even if he plays well down the stretch, its hard to be fully confident in cam playing a full 17 next year so some resources will also have to be put into the backup qb position.

Really have to predict the future on this one. Expectations are low but even if cam isn’t the guy and is just average or can at least not lose what’s the alternative?

Draft? Yea, no. Basically looking for a free agent at that point and more importantly one that actually wants to be here. That’s hard to predict. Last thing we need is a repeat of last year.

Barring a blow up I like the idea of something like TBs contract - perfect to get the future here soon enough. Assuming cam will go for it, don’t see why not though. You know like they should’ve done in the first place and kept picks.

15 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

We have 50+ million in cap even with Darnolds contract still on the books next season.

Pretty sure it’s 30 mil after cam. That’s nothing. They will struggle just to pay cam Gilmore and Reddick. 2023 however looks great even with all the contracts coming up.

Edited by onmyown

57 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

We have 50+ million in cap even with Darnolds contract still on the books next season.

I think it's closer to $30mil according to over the cap. Need about 5-6$m for the draft, so $25 mil to pay Cam, Gilmore, Reddick. Even with setting up bonuses on those deals we'd maybe have $10m left for signing dudes like Luvu, Haynes, backup OL etc. It's really not that much and not many contracts to restructure besides Shaq. I guess you could try CMC/Robby/Moton but their deals are just getting started so weird time to restructure.

40 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I think it's closer to $30mil according to over the cap. Need about 5-6$m for the draft, so $25 mil to pay Cam, Gilmore, Reddick. Even with setting up bonuses on those deals we'd maybe have $10m left for signing dudes like Luvu, Haynes, backup OL etc. It's really not that much and not many contracts to restructure besides Shaq. I guess you could try CMC/Robby/Moton but their deals are just getting started so weird time to restructure.

Where the hell did the money go?

Start of the season said we were supposed to have 60ish million in cap in 2022.

CJ Henderson is the only addition we made that carries over to next season.

4 hours ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Def not a popular opinion but I’d rather trade a pick and Sam just to get him off the books.

Although cam is 32, I think he still has enough in the tank for 3 good seasons of football and with what he’s getting paid, we can use those resources on the o line or elsewhere to put us in contention for the next couple season why we try and find cam’s replacement.

Cam is a free agent at the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Maybe that was before Darnold got his 5th year option? Add Cam's $6m out of the roll over money plus Henderson's contract and that would be close to that math

11 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Yeah Sam didn't get the 5th year til during the draft so draft picks+Darnold's 5th year option wiped out like $25mil in one weekend if you're going by having $60mil last March or whenever the league resets

• Pie 1