• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Attended my first Panthers game in 4 years

Ja  Rhule

1 hour ago, Paa Langfart said:

Wilmington 30 years ago yes.  Now - it sucks ass.  Too congested too many yankees too much development.

Holy smokes...you seen Charlotte over the last 20?

If you are into the water, there is no better place in NC...if you want to have some access to day to day life off of it.

Man, we will hit the boat on Saturday for a few hours, pick up some oysters from up near stump sound and grill them that night...have a few buds over and make an afternoon of it.  Awesome place to live.

If I was feeling a little more exciting, I'd go dive and shoot a few fish as well.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Holy smokes...you seen Charlotte over the last 20?

If you are into the water, there is no better place in NC...if you want to have some access to day to day life off of it.

Man, we will hit the boat on Saturday for a few hours, pick up some oysters from up near stump sound and grill them that night...have a few buds over and make an afternoon of it.  Awesome place to live.

If I was feeling a little more exciting, I'd go dive and shoot a few fish as well.

Been in the area since the 80's.  For about 20 years I lived right off Pages Creek with access to the prettiest water and best beaches on the coast like Hutaff Island.  I'd go fish up a bushel of oysters or 100 clams out of the sound in about an hours time. In the summer there were hundreds of sand bars with all the privacy you and your better half could ever hope for.  Once Interstate 40 opened the place began to change and not for the better.  The waterways and sounds became overrun with idiots on jet skis and fools with dual 200 hp engines hanging off the back of a boat 4 times bigger than they had any use for.  With all the development there were so many sewage spills into the various creeks, you had to go farther and farther away to find shellfish beds that weren't closed.  Traffic on the roads during rush hour became an absolute nightmare. I got the hell out about 15 years ago.   If you like it now you would have loved it back then.  I go back from time to time and it about breaks my heart to see what all of New Hanover County  has turned into. Huge/beautiful old farms turned into mega shopping districts, Mom and pop marinas turned into condos and rich folks 4000 square foot houses by the sound.  You can call it progress if you want.  I never would.

On 12/12/2021 at 4:07 PM, Ja Rhule said:

The worst fan atmosphere I have ever experienced.  No one cared.  Tepper has destroyed this fanbase.  People did not stand up to make noise on 3rd downs.  The Panthers have lost their identity.  No keep pounding chant  beside beginning of the game.  Awful experience.

Same comments came form a super fan in the philly game. Hes been to most games for the last 20 years and few of the away ones too. Said he never had this feelings before; mid-3rd he said the whole stadium was 70ish eagle fans and it was their home game. I tried to say "typical panthers fans, forntrunners, transplanet, etc... " He shut that down and said this was different. Hes a straight shooter and wasnt panic type fan, I was shocked at his comments. Same dead energy and atmosphere. Hes the type that doesnt care if its raining, cold, or poor team...hes there.  

Edited by Basbear

18 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

Been in the area since the 80's.  For about 20 years I lived right off Pages Creek with access to the prettiest water and best beaches on the coast like Hutaff Island.  I'd go fish up a bushel of oysters or 100 clams out of the sound in about an hours time. In the summer there were hundreds of sand bars with all the privacy you and your better half could ever hope for.  Once Interstate 40 opened the place began to change and not for the better.  The waterways and sounds became overrun with idiots on jet skis and fools with dual 200 hp engines hanging off the back of a boat 4 times bigger than they had any use for.  With all the development there were so many sewage spills into the various creeks, you had to go farther and farther away to find shellfish beds that weren't closed.  Traffic on the roads during rush hour became an absolute nightmare. I got the hell out about 15 years ago.   If you like it now you would have loved it back then.  I go back from time to time and it about breaks my heart to see what all of New Hanover County  has turned into. Huge/beautiful old farms turned into mega shopping districts, Mom and pop marinas turned into condos and rich folks 4000 square foot houses by the sound.  You can call it progress if you want.  I never would.

I've been here most of my entire life.

There are different ways to look at how you view it.  We live near the water, have a boat and slip, and use the hell out of it....but we have high paying jobs and have access to tons of creature comforts (that my wife requires) i.e. great food, grocery stores, bars, salons, etc....

When we want the "old Wilmington" we hop on the boat and run 30 minutes North...ah...just like the old days....then we come back and have the jobs here on Monday that allow that type of access.

I'm not saying it's "better" but it's a hell of a lot better than almost anywhere else in the state to call home.

11 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I've lived several places in NC and honestly there are great places throughout the state.  Wilmington is nice to me because it is a city and has amenities and things to do both water related and non-water related. I like to scuba dive, go shooting, and have a 

So to complete the thought it wouldn't let me edit, ......great meal and show and Wilmington provides all three. I would retire there if I stayed in NC. Then again I live near Charlotte on a little lake and have my boat and range and my sports teams. Except for the Canes which I followed when I lived in the triangle. Lived in several others along the way but for me there isnt the best unless you add the qualifier so far. I hope I can live in a bunch more places each one better than the one before.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:55 PM, Paa Langfart said:

Wilmington 30 years ago yes.  Now - it sucks ass.  Too congested too many yankees too much development.

We visit the beach around Wilmington yearly and agree about traffic and congestion there.  The crime there is pretty amazing.  Prostitution is rampant and it isn’t even hidden.  You have to be sure where you rent in Wilmington some areas are extremely dangerous