• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton and Rhule

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I do believe Cam was forced onto the team by Tepper and although Rhule acts publicly supportive, he doesn't like having him on the roster. 

About that...

Based on comments from a couple of sources, and figuring in what we know about how things run here, I'm not sure it's true that Tepper forced Rhule to bring back Newton.

But there does seem to be a general consensus that it wasn't Rhule's idea.

Makes me wonder if it wasn't Scott Fitterer or maybe Dan Morgan who broached the topic.

Morgan would make a lot of sense.

Edited by Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

About that...

Based on comments from a couple of sources, and figuring in what we know about how things run here, I'm not sure it's true that Tepper forced Rhule to bring back Newton.

But there does seem to be a general consensus that it wasn't Rhule's idea.

Makes me wonder if it wasn't Scott Fitterer or maybe Dan Morgan who broached the topic.

Morgan would make a lot of sense.

Maybe he wasn't "forced" per se, but I definitely think he was nudged quite a bit.😂

Sheena Quick all but said it was Tepper's decision, so idk...  and again, just reading the tea leaves in front of us now in how he is managing the situation with Cam and things he is saying, it definitely seems like he isn't embracing him here.

7 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Maybe he wasn't "forced" per se, but I definitely think he was nudged quite a bit.😂

Sheena Quick all but said it was Tepper's decision, so idk...  and again, just reading the tea leaves in front of us now in how he is managing the situation with Cam and things he is saying, it definitely seems like he isn't embracing him here.

I think there's heneral agreement that Newton isn't Rhule's guy.

16 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

So...anybody left who still buys the story that Rhule "couldn't wait" to coach Newton when he got here?

No. I'm sure he saw Cam's talent from prior seasons but I think he didn't want Cam's big personality getting in the way of the culture he was trying to build. He thought he could win with a Teddy Bridgewater or Sam Darnold. Once he realized he couldn't, he was willing to swallow his pride a little and give Cam a try. At that point he had his stamp on the organization (good or bad) and figured Cam wouldn't override him. Unfortunately, Cam doesn't have it anymore and they will both be gone soon.

10 hours ago, Smithers said:

Rhule blames himself all the time.  Sometimes I think fans only what what they want to hear and pay zero attention to content.  

we are all upset.  Rightfully so.  But take the blinders off.  Rhule always says the improvement starts with him and he has to do better.  He also holds all players accountable.  Do I think he should be fired?  Yes.  But it’s not fair to say some of these other things 

Life isn’t fair

his handling of Newton, Darnold and Bridgewater and many others was not fair  

His second rate coaches with their high school schemes and a ragtag oline that no QB could survive, lays at his feet, his decisions   His nepotism brought us Walker   He failed to even get a decent back on this team 

I listen to his press conferences. I watch his results. I see his decisions on the field

I hear him blame himself at the end of those press conferences after he has blamed many others, almost like he knows it’s poor form not to do so  

he is point blank awful in the nfl and quite frankly wasnt exactly prime time in the NCAA 

I see not one redeeming thing he has done on or off the field to continue his tenure as an nfl HC other than Tepper’s refusal to admit an error . 

I have not one ounce of feeling sorry or the need to be fair to this top 5 paid coach in his huggy bear shirt 

I’d take Seifert back before this clown. At least Seifert could hit on a few draft choices 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Flames 2

Ok so he  turned Temple and Baylor programs around, but who are they in the world of college football. Especially Temple. That is not an impressive resume.  I'm not a fan of a coach that comes from a big college like Urban Myers nor Rhule small colleges to come to the NfL. How many of them have succeeded in the transition? Probably best to stick with former coaches and assistants in the NFL before going straight college. As for Cam, I don't  know. They brought him in on a team that was fake news. Coaches that just edon't  know what they are doing on a day to day basis. Sure Cam is making mistakes, but I kinda expected it. He has no cmc and wrs takes time to build a rapport with. This team is a mess in all 4 phases basically I don't  think they could beat an SEC or Big ten college team..lol

• Flames 1

16 hours ago, Tinamedina said:

panthers fans : stop coddling sam!

then proceeds to coddle cam newton.

cam newton throws 2 int? panthers fans: whats the big deal? its only 2.

pj walker throws an int: go back to the XFL! never mind that you drove us downfield to score a touchdown right afterwards and cam couldn't get the 2pt conversion.

one guy's had the playbook for a month bud

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Icy.  Cam is completely professional and a great teammate from all we've heard and seen from both here and NE.

But, Rhule is clearly not a fan.  I do believe Cam was forced onto the team by Tepper and although Rhule acts publicly supportive, he doesn't like having him on the roster.  It's a reminder of his own failures and mistakes.  I also feel as a result of those underlying feelings, he is setting Cam up to fail in many ways.

I mentioned it Sunday, iirc, but he literally left Darnold in the game with a broken shoulder to throw 3 picks and have like 2 fumbles against NE, and left him in the entire game against NYG despite having not gained a single first down for the entirety of the game - but he pulls the "2 QB system" once we get Cam on the roster...  which again, is asinine, because despite all of the offensive struggles, Cam has still been the most productive and the best QB we've played for 2 years.

I also just saw two quotes this morning that further cement he is an asshole and his relationship with Cam is horrible to non-existent - he told reporters that he doesn't prefer the two-QB system, but "it's where we are" currently or something like that.  Then PJ was even asked about it in a presser and he said he didn't like it (even though he's the guy that has the most to gain from it), because neither guy can get into a rhythm and defenses are going to show them different things, so its not beneficial to either guy.  Now pair that with him activating Sam from IR, and that tells you all you need to know.  He's a smug, arrogant, know-it-all asshole who sees Cam as a threat to his football mastermind identity.  He's a fuging imbecile of the highest order.

THIS

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Rhule could totally be an insecure little man on a power trip but I dont have any problem with what he says in press conferences 

whether youre a coach, a sales manager, an Army officer or a parent part of the job is knowing which people you can push and challenge and which ones need positive enforcement and encouragement. You cant expect a reasonable coach to treat an 11 year vet that was an MVP who carried a team to a Super Bowl the same way as a 24 year old who just spent 3 years getting dogged by NY media trying to get a fresh start who clearly does not have the same composure. One of Phil Jacksons greatest attributes as a coach was his ability to recognize which players needed which types of motivating

we used to think Rivera was a softy who couldnt hold people accountable and then the Amazon doc came out and we saw behind closed doors he had no problems chewing people out

i also think its telling that sought after free agents like Anderson and Reddick came back to play for him instead of getting as far away from him as possible

Is Sam not a professional as well? The mental gymnastics from some of you.

19 hours ago, Smithers said:

It’s easy - google press transcripts from prior games.  He did it often.  

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2208753/amp

Coaches hold players accountable.  It’s their job.  I’m a Cam nut hugger like most on here.  But it’s hilarious when people think the head coach isn’t allowed to hold a player making millions accountable.  

The part that seems to be kicking your ass, is that this is above coach speak criticism. Also, calling yourself a "Cam nut-hugger", is peak subterfuge.

18 hours ago, Tinamedina said:

panthers fans : stop coddling sam!

then proceeds to coddle cam newton.

cam newton throws 2 int? panthers fans: whats the big deal? its only 2.

pj walker throws an int: go back to the XFL! never mind that you drove us downfield to score a touchdown right afterwards and cam couldn't get the 2pt conversion.

When you lack the ability to debate in good faith, you post sputum this.

9 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Icy.  Cam is completely professional and a great teammate from all we've heard and seen from both here and NE.

But, Rhule is clearly not a fan.  I do believe Cam was forced onto the team by Tepper and although Rhule acts publicly supportive, he doesn't like having him on the roster.  It's a reminder of his own failures and mistakes.  I also feel as a result of those underlying feelings, he is setting Cam up to fail in many ways.

I mentioned it Sunday, iirc, but he literally left Darnold in the game with a broken shoulder to throw 3 picks and have like 2 fumbles against NE, and left him in the entire game against NYG despite having not gained a single first down for the entirety of the game - but he pulls the "2 QB system" once we get Cam on the roster...  which again, is asinine, because despite all of the offensive struggles, Cam has still been the most productive and the best QB we've played for 2 years.

I also just saw two quotes this morning that further cement he is an asshole and his relationship with Cam is horrible to non-existent - he told reporters that he doesn't prefer the two-QB system, but "it's where we are" currently or something like that.  Then PJ was even asked about it in a presser and he said he didn't like it (even though he's the guy that has the most to gain from it), because neither guy can get into a rhythm and defenses are going to show them different things, so its not beneficial to either guy.  Now pair that with him activating Sam from IR, and that tells you all you need to know.  He's a smug, arrogant, know-it-all asshole who sees Cam as a threat to his football mastermind identity.  He's a fuging imbecile of the highest order.

All of this. What's crazy if Rhule would've just shut his sloppy douchebag mouth and let the season play out, he wouldn't be receiving this backlash. His stubby lil ego got bruised and here we are. 

8 hours ago, Little Goody Two Shoes said:

No. I'm sure he saw Cam's talent from prior seasons but I think he didn't want Cam's big personality getting in the way of the culture he was trying to build. He thought he could win with a Teddy Bridgewater or Sam Darnold. Once he realized he couldn't, he was willing to swallow his pride a little and give Cam a try. At that point he had his stamp on the organization (good or bad) and figured Cam wouldn't override him. Unfortunately, Cam doesn't have it anymore and they will both be gone soon.

What's his stamp?

1 hour ago, Silent Majority said:

The part that seems to be kicking your ass, is that this is above coach speak criticism. Also, calling yourself a "Cam nut-hugger", is peak subterfuge.

Yeah, cause I have nothing better to do than lie on a message board for the sake of trying to win an argument. 🙄