• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Excellent passing team

CRA

57 minutes ago, stbugs said:

In the first four games we played Dallas and NO, one a playoff team and the other a high probability playoff team. Jets and Houston were bad, but that’s who we played.

Also, based on prorating the first four games over 14 games, Our QB would be #2 in yardage, #5/6 in completion percentage and #2 in total TDs.

Again, not vouching for Sam but you are underselling the QB stats we had in weeks 1-4. You could say excellent because it was on pace for a top 5 passing offense. He had 300 yards 3 times in 4 games with 2.5 TDs a game and a 67-69% completion rate. That’s not average, especially considering we led the NFL in drops during that period.

What does TOTAL TDs have to do with passing? 

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

We don’t have our 4th either, we have Houston’s. We are out our 2nd, 3rd and 4th next year.

And the 7th rounder went to Raiders but gained a 6th. Our most valuable 6th rounder will go to Bills.

Which is the Panthers pick. So that means, of the original 7 picks, 1st and 5th is left.

Still have 6 picks in 2022 draft.

• 1st
  • 4th Texans (or unclear, Rams?)
  • 5th One of Jags, unclear which probably Jags
  • 5th
  • 6th from Raiders
  • 7th from Dolphins, unclear which probably Titans.

Correct me if im wrong.

So we were performing at our best when the football is at its worst and teams are still getting up to speed against other really bad teams or teams missing players and coaches to the Vid?

I guess for a college coach that would feel like excellence in the NFL. The playoffs would blow his mind and destroy his soul lol.

This group can't even hit average, excellence is a foreign language to them. He obviously doesn't know WTF he is talking about.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, stbugs said:

In the first four games we played Dallas and NO, one a playoff team and the other a high probability playoff team. Jets and Houston were bad, but that’s who we played.

Also, based on prorating the first four games over 14 games, Our QB would be #2 in yardage, #5/6 in completion percentage and #2 in total TDs.

Again, not vouching for Sam but you are underselling the QB stats we had in weeks 1-4. You could say excellent because it was on pace for a top 5 passing offense. He had 300 yards 3 times in 4 games with 2.5 TDs a game and a 67-69% completion rate. That’s not average, especially considering we led the NFL in drops during that period.

New Orleans had been displaced by a hurricane for weeks, suffered a ton of injuires and had lost all their coaching staff wtih COVID.  The team we played that day was not good. 

Jets, Hou and THAT NO team was a cake schedule.  3 of the 4.  

and the one good team Sam faced in that stretch....he had multiple turnovers against (Dallas). 

Sam also turned the ball over in 3 of the 4 opening games.  The one game he didn't turn it over in was Hou.  Where he put the ball on the ground multiple times in Hou territory.  Just got lucky there.  Sam was never good.  We just had an easy start to the season. 

but again, no point to nitpick.  Point is nothing about that was excellent.  Which is why we have a lost coach. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I guess for a college coach that would feel like excellence in the NFL. The playoffs would blow his mind and destroy his soul lol.

This is something I'm sure that the few remaining Rhule apologists haven't even considered.  The playoffs are an entirely different level of NFL football.  Maybe Rhule finally becomes an average NFL coach.  MAYBE.  In a few years.

In the playoffs, you're coaching against Belichick, Reid, Harbaugh, Payton, etc.  The best of the best.  Does that sound like something Matt Rhule is capable of in the next five years?  I daresay it's not.

Speaking only for myself, I don't want to wait five plus years for our coach to be capable of winning a playoff game.  Free agents won't want to wait five years.  I do not understand how anyone thinks this is ok.

Successful coaches turn an NFL team around in two years.  That's the thing about the NFL.  Andy Reid took the Chiefs to the playoffs with ALEX FREAKING SMITH at QB.  He was 11-5 in his FIRST SEASON there.  With the Eagles, in his first NFL HC job, he took a 3-13 and made them 5-11.  The next year they were 11-5 and in the playoffs.

This is what good coaches are capable of.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

This is something I'm sure that the few remaining Rhule apologists haven't even considered.  The playoffs are an entirely different level of NFL football.  Maybe Rhule finally becomes an average NFL coach.  MAYBE.  In a few years.

In the playoffs, you're coaching against Belichick, Reid, Harbaugh, Payton, etc.  The best of the best.  Does that sound like something Matt Rhule is capable of in the next five years?  I daresay it's not.

Speaking only for myself, I don't want to wait five plus years for our coach to be capable of winning a playoff game.  Free agents won't want to wait five years.  I do not understand how anyone thinks this is ok.

Successful coaches turn an NFL team around in two years.  That's the thing about the NFL.  Andy Reid took the Chiefs to the playoffs with ALEX FREAKING SMITH at QB.  He was 11-5 in his FIRST SEASON there.  With the Eagles, in his first NFL HC job, he took a 3-13 and made them 5-11.  The next year they were 11-5 and in the playoffs.

100%. It's a joke to compare the first 6 games of any year to the playoffs. Pretending that 3-0 stretch was more than ugly ball wins just shows their NFL fan experience or blinders. Hell we were still questioning our team in week 8 in 2015 yet people here believed this year at 3-0. Yike

As the year has progressed, this team has regressed. That's an unavoidable truth. Teams are out there gearing up for the real season and we are going to try a 2 or 3 QB system game...

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, Waldo said:

As the year has progressed, this team has regressed. 

Which has been the Matt Rhule signature in each of his first two seasons.   His teams get worse and worse as the year goes on.  That's coaching.  That's culture. 

It's why it is impossible to bring him back for a 3rd year. 

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, stbugs said:

As much as I hate to admit it, you're right about this. Those first four games held a lot of promise. And that fourth game against Dallas peeled back the veneer and showed everyone the weaknesses of this team.

We were great up until that point: passing, rushing, defense. Looked like Rhule might be a genius and our only thing to complain about was Robby Anderson not being able to catch anything.

Oh those were the days. And then we entered the long, dark night of this season.

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

As was once said about Bum Phillips being a great coach, "He can take his guys and beat your team with them. Then he can take your guys and beat his team with them."

Good coaching rules in the end, even over star players, injuries and tough competition. Good coaching builds teams, builds playbooks, builds players. Great coaching builds dynasties.

We have lackluster coaching. At best.

• Beer 2

I'm so tired of the "If he's not gone I am done" people. Guys.....there's 32 teams. Many teams never sniff the playoffs. We are in a bad stretch, but this quitting on your team as a fan bs is garbage. We were in a Super Bowl 6 years ago, alot better than most people can say. There's ups and downs, that's fanhood. Stay with your team.

26 minutes ago, PantherKyle said:

I'm so tired of the "If he's not gone I am done" people. Guys.....there's 32 teams. Many teams never sniff the playoffs. We are in a bad stretch, but this quitting on your team as a fan bs is garbage. We were in a Super Bowl 6 years ago, alot better than most people can say. There's ups and downs, that's fanhood. Stay with your team.

Not quitting on the team.  Players and coaches come and go.  Quitting on the present day HC and direction?  Absolutely.  This is professional sports.   A NFL HC doesn't get blind and unconditional support.  Matt Rhule has given this fanbase no reason to support him after this season. 

Support isn't just about what the win column says.  I'm fine supporting a HC who isn't presently winning.  But they still have to provide the fanbase with  reasons to be supported.  

Look at another local sport team.  Shane Beamer didn't win this year.  Also got stomped by the worst Clemson team in over a decade.  BUT there is a reason to be excited about Shane Beamer.  Gamecock fans have reasons to be excited about Shane Beamer and the Gamecocks.  About what he is bringing to SC.  What he might be building.   Beamer overachieved this year.  Beamer is bringing clear cut new energy.  And you are already seeing what that can do.   Say what you want about the OU kid....that's a great land for SC.  Hard to imagine that happens without the hope Shane Beamer is providing. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1