• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I gotta say it.

motocross_cat

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So I pointed out that the #2 defense ranking was based on yards, but I'm hurting my argument because we're actually 2nd in the league in yards allowed? 

Okay 🤔

This is actually amazing I thought this whole time everyone was in on the joke but there are people who unironically think we have the 2nd ranked defense? lol oh man this is great!

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Anything other than stats is just an opinion and is probably flawed.   That being said, its clear the team (with one or two exceptions) has given up and is already thinking about the offseason.  

If an offense turns a ball over at their 10 and the opposing team scores, that defense will be ranked as performing better than a defense that allows a team to drive 30 yards but then stops them.

Stats don't tell the true story.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

So I pointed out that the #2 defense ranking was based on yards, but I'm hurting my argument because we're actually 2nd in the league in yards allowed? 

Okay 🤔

I thought you meant yards allowed was the best measure for a defense.  I might have misread you. 

I think you were trying to say that was was people consider the best defense, which I don't' get either.  I don't know if I've seen a universally accepted best defense ranking.

In reality the best would probably be some situation and/or opponent adjusted ranking.

Here is the problem with fans, they think in a vacuum.  Good and bad are relative terms, fans though tend to create artificial benchmarks that they assign to good and bad.  

A good defense is the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens, anything else is bad.

For most of the year we have been an above average defense relative to the rest of the league, which is somewhat impressive considering how bad our offense is.  

Our defense isn't elite by any stretch, there are probably only three teams I would consider that way, Pats, Bills, and Broncos.  The next 10-12 teams are probably pretty close and all of those fan bases probably complaining about their defenses being bad since they aren't elite but in reality, they are above average.

41 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

If you are out here blaming or smacking the defense just stop and think for a second.  They are # 2 in the NFL and our offense is almost dead last.  What they have been able to do this season in reality is a fuging miracle considering our turnovers, inability to complete a forward pass and losing the best player on the team....again.

Lol this defense is god awful and a major reason this team is a complete embarrassment 

43 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

If you are out here blaming or smacking the defense just stop and think for a second.  They are # 2 in the NFL and our offense is almost dead last.  What they have been able to do this season in reality is a fuging miracle considering our turnovers, inability to complete a forward pass and losing the best player on the team....again.

Are you watching this game?….Brady is toying with us

bet we give up 30+ today

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

If an offense turns a ball over at their 10 and the opposing team scores, that defense will be ranked as performing better than a defense that allows a team to drive 30 yards but then stops them.

Stats don't tell the true story.

Over a period of 1-2 games, perhaps.  But over an entire season, these things tend to work themselves out.  

That being said, a defense shouldn't be penalized in rankings if the offense turning the ball over at the 10.  If the other team starts out with the ball on the the 10 yard line, then that defense has its back against the wall and the offense is almost assured of scoring regardless.  The rules favor the offense to such a degree nowadays, that you can take an average offense, put it against the best defense in the NFL, and 9 times out of 10, the average offense will score if it starts out inside the other team's 20.  Of course, our offense wouldn't, but then its far below average, so guess it doesn't count in my scenario.

And this is my opinion, but I think you are ignoring the mental aspect of it.  If the offense is consistently turning the ball over, and providing no help to the defense, and the defense knows that they probably aren't going to win regardless of how they play, it eventually begins to impact the play of the defense.  I see this year in and year out on bad teams.  Defense starts the season making plays, but the offense keeps putting them in bad situations, and eventually, the defense looks like our does today.  Or vice versa.  

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Over a period of 1-2 games, perhaps.  But over an entire season, these things tend to work themselves out.  

That being said, a defense shouldn't be penalized in rankings if the offense turning the ball over at the 10.  If the other team starts out with the ball on the the 10 yard line, then that defense has its back against the wall and the offense is almost assured of scoring regardless.  The rules favor the offense to such a degree nowadays, that you can take an average offense, put it against the best defense in the NFL, and 9 times out of 10, the average offense will score if it starts out inside the other team's 20.  Of course, our offense wouldn't, but then its far below average, so guess it doesn't count in my scenario.

And this is my opinion, but I think you are ignoring the mental aspect of it.  If the offense is consistently turning the ball over, and providing no help to the defense, and the defense knows that they probably aren't going to win regardless of how they play, it eventually begins to impact the play of the defense.  I see this year in and year out on bad teams.  Defense starts the season making plays, but the offense keeps putting them in bad situations, and eventually, the defense looks like our does today.  Or vice versa.  

Turnovers are just one example.

There are a million variables in any given football game. That's why I don't like to go by stats. I prefer to judge by what I see.

If scouting were as simple as checking a stat sheet, anyone could do it.

Edited by Mr. Scot