• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Panthers QBs Cam Newton, Sam Darnold appear to be thrown under bus by Robby Anderson

WarPanthers89

Robby is kind of underrated on this forum nowadays.

Did he play his best ball at all times last year, nah.  But he's proven the kind of player he is in the NFL.  A very good deep threat receiver.  Unfortunately he never had a single QB this year who could throw even an average deep ball.  Certainly not consistently, anyway.  That meant he was forced to now run routes that don't fit his skill-set, if he wanted to get touches and be involved in the game-plan.

A guy's Y/R for example doesn't drop as steeply as Anderson's did without there being some other circumstances to consider.

• Pie 3

32 minutes ago, Mage said:

Robby is kind of underrated on this forum nowadays.

Did he play his best ball at all times last year, nah.  But he's proven the kind of player he is in the NFL.  A very good deep threat receiver.  Unfortunately he never had a single QB this year who could throw even an average deep ball.  Certainly not consistently, anyway.  That meant he was forced to now run routes that don't fit his skill-set, if he wanted to get touches and be involved in the game-plan.

A guy's Y/R for example doesn't drop as steeply as Anderson's did without there being some other circumstances to consider.

Robby had over 1,000 yards in the 2020 season. And about half of that was after the catch (514 YAC in 2020) / intermediate routes. In the 2020 season, he was 79th in the league in yards per reception at 11.5 / catch. He was also 66th Receiving yards per target at 8.1.

So, it's not necessarily a deep threat / passing issue.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, EgoDogg said:

Robby had over 1,000 yards in the 2020 season. And about half of that was after the catch (514 YAC in 2020) / intermediate routes. In the 2020 season, he was 79th in the league in yards per reception at 11.5 / catch. He was also 66th Receiving yards per target at 8.1.

So, it's not necessarily a deep threat / passing issue.

If you're going to have him running a lot of intermediate routes you need to have an accurate QB.  Again something he didn't have.  Robby isn't someone you should be expecting to make a lot of catches in traffic is my point.  No QB on this roster can throw someone open and our passing scheme was quite elementary.

I'm not saying he didn't regress, but to fall off the way he did?  I think it had a lot to do with Darnold and Newton being that much worse of a passer than Teddy.

I was far from a Teddy fan and think he was mediocre at best but moving on from him for Darnold has to be one of the dumbest decisions this organization has ever made.

We should have just stuck with Kyle Allen to begin with and completed the tank.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, Mage said:

If you're going to have him running a lot of intermediate routes you need to have an accurate QB.  Again something he didn't have.  Robby isn't someone you should be expecting to make a lot of catches in traffic is my point.  No QB on this roster can throw someone open and our passing scheme was quite elementary.

I'm not saying he didn't regress, but to fall off the way he did?  I think it had a lot to do with Darnold and Newton being that much worse of a passer than Teddy.

Teddy isn’t a better passer than Cam. He just creates the illusion that he is by checking down and padding his stats. He would check down on 4th and 30 with 2 seconds left in the game. It makes no difference if you’re a pussy and can’t make the throws with the game on the line.

Edited by OneBadCat