• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Coaching News

Mr. Scot

On 1/28/2022 at 2:51 PM, Happy Panther said:

Based on what I know about the NFL he has possibly been blackballed.  The owners tend to support each other blindly. Which is why we haven't heard a word out of Gruden since he was let go. 

EB laid hands on a woman almost 30 years ago. That's a lot of nasty letters and a few canceled luxury boxes for whichever owner hires him. His DUI and college antics wouldn't move the needle.

And it would not surprise me if there is some other offense we don't know about.

Race is almost certainly a factor but you guys can tackle that one!

I'd hire him yesterday if i were an owner.

You haven't heard from Gruden because he's in a legal battle, his attorney has 100% told him to not open his mouth.

As far as his DUI...that probably isn't what's holding him back, nor race...IMO...I feel it's his personality, his criminal history, and from the chatter last year, he was a very poor interview.

Either way, I don't think it's blackballing, but I could absolutely be wrong.

47 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

You haven't heard from Gruden because he's in a legal battle, his attorney has 100% told him to not open his mouth.

As far as his DUI...that probably isn't what's holding him back, nor race...IMO...I feel it's his personality, his criminal history, and from the chatter last year, he was a very poor interview.

Either way, I don't think it's blackballing, but I could absolutely be wrong.

Race wouldn't explain why Ryan Poles didn't want him, or Brad Holmes last year for that matter.

There's something there, for certain.

• Beer 1

Albert Breer talks about just how bad it's gotten in Jacksonville, even suggesting that Trevor Lawrence should ask for a trade (MMQB)

Dan Quinn said thanks but no thanks early in the process. Doug Pederson, I’m told, was lukewarm about the chance to go there, given what he’d gone through in Philly and the structure in place in Jacksonville. And then, there was the Byron Leftwich situation last week. Leftwich reportedly explored the idea of bringing Arizona VP of pro scouting Adrian Wilson with him (Leftwich and Wilson struck up a relationship working together during the Bruce Arians years in Arizona), and I heard Bucs director of football operations Shelton Quarles was part of Leftwich’s ideal plan, too. Add up the decisions Quinn, Pederson and Leftwich made, to approach a chance to coach Lawrence (and a team with some other good, young talent too) with so much trepidation, and it leads back to one place: owner Shad Khan’s overall track record and his newfound loyalty to GM Trent Baalke, whom plenty of coaches don’t trust and won’t work with because of a reputation that grew in San Francisco and has lingered over two years in Jacksonville.