• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don't kill the messenger.. QB idea..

WOW!!

Kyle Bailey on WFNZ afternoon show came up with a QB idea based on his interview with Fitt..

He focused on Fitt's wording of "stabilizing" the QB position this offseason.. Not committing to Cam or Sam but "stabilizing" that position.. Not even talking about the rookie class which he called " good but not great".. 

So Kyle was talking about FA QB and he came up to Jimmy G.. He said he had info that San Fran was interested in Darnold before the panthers made the move to get him.. So His Idea is Jimmy is has 1 more contract year in San Francisco but knows they are ready to move on.. Sam isn't wanted here so Maybe a trade of Sam for Jimmy..

Why would San Francisco  do it??

Well Sam makes less then Jimmy..

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-14472/

24.2 mil

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/sam-darnold-25098/#:~:text=Sam Darnold signed a 4,dead cap value of %2418%2C858%2C000.

18.8 million 

For sam 5 mil off their books and a player they know will accept being a backup to Trey..

Panthers would do it for Stabilization of the QB position.. And Jimmy G isn't great he is way better then Sam.. It also gives them a chance to compete 2022 while still having assets and money ready for a shot at a better Qb in 2023.. And If Jimmy looks good on the Panthers maybe that will interest a better FA QB in 2023..

Jmo let Rhule ride and die with Sam.. But many here think you can't go into the season with Sam as the starter.. So here's  a way that doesn't happen..

• Pie 2

No shot we do it. They'll offload Jimmy G for somebody cheaper or draft picks. They're not paying a rookie contract to Trey and 18 mil to his backup that they have to know is damaged goods that needs a perfect situation and a therapist to be consistently good.

We need to stabilize this organization. Rhule and Co gotta go.

• Pie 3

I think Jimmy G is actually better than average.  Perhaps significantly so.

And there's the rub.  No one is really sure what to make of him, because the guy just can't seem to stay healthy.  In his two healthiest seasons, he's 13-3 and 9-6.  I could sure stand a little of that in Panthers land.  Also, in his two fullest seasons he has 4 and 3 fourth quarter comebacks.  Yes please.

Unfortunately, that's two seasons out of five.  Even this year where he did play 15 games, he missed two.  And while Jimmy can slide a bit in the pocket, he's not high level elusive.  The 49ers have a pretty good line and he's missed a lot of time . . . imagine with ours.  Yikes.  

• Pie 1

I would rather we just suck for another year, clear the cap of easy money, and find another QB whether through the draft or elsewhere.  In all likelihood we are going to have to draft another phenom QB and hopefully this time not waste their career.

Maybe we can find someone who hasn't quite worked somewhere else but I'd rate our chances of winning the Superbowl in this circumstance as only slightly more than now.

Of course a 10% effectiveness increase is pretty substantial and will get our hopes up if we can even push it that high.

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Because he is an average starting QB on the last year of a deal.

He isn't going to elevate your franchise with his play very often.

I thought he had one more year left on his deal?

Edit.  Yeah he has one more year at a modest 26 million.  Depending on how the playoffs work out I think they just ride him out on their roster as insurance for lance.  Who is still a long way off.

Edited by mrcompletely11

20 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The price would be step in attaining him and signing him.   But again why would the niners move him?

They'd move him because he doesn't want to be there and play second fiddle. 

Also, "steep" is relative.

Edited by top dawg

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I thought he had one more year left on his deal?

Edit.  Yeah he has one more year at a modest 26 million.  Depending on how the playoffs work out I think they just ride him out on their roster as insurance for lance.  Who is still a long way off.

That's the thing. If Lance is the guy next year, Jimmy G will be gone.