• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina to active in veteran QB market...

MHS831

15 hours ago, MHS831 said:

This summarized (nicely) the predicament the Panthers created.  This is why I see them leaving BC at LT, Elflein at C, and signing 2 higher end guards in free agency.   Then they will draft a QB (they are all developmental in this draft) and hope that he eventually takes the job from Darnold.   This way, we get to see Darnold behind an improved line and we get a young QB to develop.  Not my plan, but I see them doing it.

I can see this.  The draft does not have that top end QB that will go in the top 5.  Obviously that could change after the Senior Bowl and combine.  However, I do see an opportunity to trade down and pick up another pick or two later in the draft and get a late 1st round QB.  We're on the hook for Sam and with TB5 contract still in play picking up another QB bill doesn't make sense.  

We all want to throw Darnold under the bus and in some instances rightly so.  But between our horrendous O-Line and an incompetent QC I don't think many QBs would have faired much better.  Resign Cam as a backup and build a stout O-line for Darnold.   Our rookie QB can sit back and learn for the year and when the season starts to tank, (which at this point I think is more probably than the playoffs) let the rookie get his feet wet.

If Darnold plays well we might actual get some compensation if he signed as a free agent in 2023.  I say plan 2023 with a new Coach and a 2nd year QB that has enough experience to start new. 

• Pie 1

I figured out their grand plan to continued mediocrity—

Jim Harbaugh goes to LVR, they trade for CMC (The McCaffreys and Harbaugh are super tight) & we get Carr in a blockbuster. This lures Russell Wilson. The Pacific Northwest faction gets together in Vegas.

We end up 7-10 with Derek Carr. Rhule is retained for progress lol.

Edited by davos

3 minutes ago, davos said:

I figured out their grand plan to continued mediocrity—

Jim Harbaugh goes to LVR, they trade for CMC (The McCaffreys and Harbaugh are super tight) & we get Carr in a blockbuster. This lures Russell Wilson. The Pacific Northwest faction gets together in Vegas.

We end up 7-10 with Derek Carr. Rhule is retained for progress lol.

For the Love of christ we literally cannot trade Cmac.  Its not going to happen this offseason.

17 hours ago, The Huddler said:

hey, pickles got us Cam

sign me up for #1 OVR

This is where I am at now.  Just embrace the suck for one more year, make a big investment in the o line over the next 2 off-seasons, be terrible enough next year to grab Young or Stroud, and then begin to be a good team.  We are not going to be going anywhere with the Sam Darnold and Jimmy G's of the world.  We need to draft our own Franchise guy.  Period.  Unless we somehow make a huge trade for Wilson or Watson or something, I don't see any other way out of QB purgatory. 

• Pie 2

On 1/19/2022 at 8:50 PM, Stuart Smith said:

I would take him, but not 5 years. Maybe 3 years with incentives.

I'm fine with that. Just thinking it over, I  don't see the downside with signing him five years to provide stability in the QB room with at minimum a solid backup option. He'd be 32 at the end of that contract. Playing a role in my thought process is I still believe he's a mid to bottom third starter in the league, and we can get him here for cheap. Why not? 

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He’s hurt

its an 18 million dollar cap hit

his contract is horrendous 

it literally makes no sense

your turn

He should be healthy by then.

If you trade him after June 1st you would actually save $8.6m.  Even you trade him before June 1st it would only add $4.2m to this year's cap, not ideal but not impossible to absorb.

For a team trading for him his contract is actually decent, we have already paid his signing bonus.

Christian McCaffrey Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Next team would basically get him for 4yrs/44m.  With only $8.1m guaranteed.  Would a team trade for CMC for  1yr for $8.6m?  2 yrs for $20.4m.  Since the little guaranteed money there is all in the first year it is a basically a pay as you go contract for the next team.

Is $8-11m a year really outlandish for one of the best dual threat players in the league, especially for a team that thinks they are close to winning it all?  

To put that in perspective Robby's cap hit next year is $16.8m.

Robby Anderson Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

You could almost say CMC is a bargain for someone.