Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Our Roster -- Players We Feel Good About (Part 1 - Offense)**


SetfreexX
 Share

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Should the Panthers trade down to accumulate picks?

Dane, do believe the Panthers should/could trade back in his year’s draft due to the fact that they have only one Top 100 selection this year? — Jared F.

 

Absolutely — if they can. There will be multiple teams looking to trade back this year, but most won’t be able to find a deal because few teams will be looking to trade up. The trades that we do see, they might be for less than usual because that’s the market. Unfortunately just bad luck for the Panthers that this is a year with a lackluster top-10, including no top-tier quarterbacks worth trading up for.

I see no point in trading down if we get even value. Just evaluate the tackles get a stud and be done. Triple down on OL prospects on day 3 and know you still have holes because we ain’t winning the SB. We traded down a ton last year and we got 11 guys. We got a lot of mediocre not hard to replace guys. We got maybe 1 (Horn) impact player. We need healthy Cam’s and Luke’s and hopefully make some better late round picks. Ignore FAs that are expensive or cancel comp picks and build up our draft capital for 2023 when we might be ready to compete/grab a QB.

If we trade down and splurge on FAs, we’ll get right into that middle of the pack non-playoff teams always getting the Derrick Brown’s instead of the Herbert’s.

  • Pie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its frustrating for sure because he should have way more games to look at but Rhule effed that up.  To me I would not let his play dictate drafting a tackle if one fell to 6.   I think Rhule said as much last week.  I just saw BC get manhandled more times then not.   Maybe that is correctable for a 25 year old but I am not letting that factor into my draft strategy. 

You kind of have to though. Baring a trade back, if we take a T at 6, there's no pick until the 4th. BC looked terrible as a guard. It's not his natural position. So now we have a few picks to fill a ton of holes, and not a huge amount of cap space as long as we don't do some restructuring that won't actually accomplish anything long term since we aren't going to be competitive in 2022/23.

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

You kind of have to though. Baring a trade back, if we take a T at 6, there's no pick until the 4th. BC looked terrible as a guard. It's not his natural position. So now we have a few picks to fill a ton of holes, and not a huge amount of cap space as long as we don't do some restructuring that won't actually accomplish anything long term since we aren't going to be competitive in 2022/23.

If one of the 3 tackle prospects falls (which I am starting to get leery of that actually happening) you have to take them and just figure it all out later.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sometimes wonder if our fans even watch the games.

It's like they don't.  Was BC clearly the answer at LT?  No.  He wasn't.  He also wasn't clearly NOT the answer.  We just don't know.  He played like a third round rookie with upside.

You know what I am "1000%" sure of after watching the team?  Our IOL is far, far worse off.  I honestly wouldn't cry if we spent four picks on IOL this draft, including our first.  It was that bad.  We have got to anchor the middle, if we don't, nothing else will matter.

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If one of the 3 tackle prospects falls (which I am starting to get leery of that actually happening) you have to take them and just figure it all out later.

But do you trust them to figure it all out later? Right now we should know if BC can play LT. Rhule refused to put him there until he had no choice and only then did we get a look at him with 3 games to go. Rhule refused to even consider a 2nd team all pro LT at that position in the draft because of his measurables. The problem isn't our need at LT or lack thereof. The biggest problem is the person in charge of making these evaluations and decisions thought that Erving and Elfien were day 1 FAs, Miller and Jordan were the best guards, and that BC and Brown didn't deserve playing time even though the starters were handing out sacks like Halloween candy. 

The biggest issue isn't the players available, it's the clown driving the car. I want a franchise LT. I DONT want Rhule deciding who that will be. 

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

But do you trust them to figure it all out later? Right now we should know if BC can play LT. Rhule refused to put him there until he had no choice and only then did we get a look at him with 3 games to go. Rhule refused to even consider a 2nd team all pro LT at that position in the draft because of his measurables. The problem isn't our need at LT or lack thereof. The biggest problem is the person in charge of making these evaluations and decisions thought that Erving and Elfien were day 1 FAs, Miller and Jordan were the best guards, and that BC and Brown didn't deserve playing time even though the starters were handing out sacks like Halloween candy. 

The biggest issue isn't the players available, it's the clown driving the car. I want a franchise LT. I DONT want Rhule deciding who that will be. 

Lets be honest here.  We are getting a new coach (maybe new GM) in 2023.  Might as well stockpile as much talent for that regime and that includes more oline help.   I am hoping (praying) tepper leans on the fitt and rhule into taking the best tackle at 6 based on general principle.  I mean whats the worst that could happen.  Tackles picked that high rarely bust.  Worst case you have BC and a top tackle to move around your line.   I swear to God I may punch the poo out of my TV if they pick Pickett and plan on trotting him out there after we are 2-5.  Lets make this franchise as appealing as possible for the next head coach.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Lets be honest here.  We are getting a new coach (maybe new GM) in 2023.  Might as well stockpile as much talent for that regime and that includes more oline help.   I am hoping (praying) tepper leans on the fitt and rhule into taking the best tackle at 6 based on general principle.  I mean whats the worst that could happen.  Tackles picked that high rarely bust.  Worst case you have BC and a top tackle to move around your line.   I swear to God I may punch the poo out of my TV if they pick Pickett and plan on trotting him out there after we are 2-5.  Lets make this franchise as appealing as possible for the next head coach.

I hope to hell you're right and we're getting a new coach in 2023. But I also figured finishing the season 2-12 and getting embarrassed multiple times would be reason to fire Rhule and not give him a chance if he can hire a Rockstar OC. We are the laughing stock of the NFL right now because of how we are handling this coaching poo. 

I don't have a problem with drafting a LT and keeping BC as a swing tackle. I think it's actually a good idea if we could somehow ditch Erving. 

Rhule cannot evaluate oline talent. It doesn't matter of the 3 top guys are there for the taking if Rhule decides that some bumpkin out of BFU has all the measurables to be an all pro. Rhule is infatuated with his analytical approach and all its turned out so far is a big steaming pile of poo. 

  • Pie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mc52beast said:

BC could be a serviceable LT but compared to the guys coming out this year where does he stand? 
 

Do you take the small sample Rhule gave us and assume we can pass on guys who could be better?

Yes, you pass.

What you know is that BC is not a guard.  That much was easy to see and identify.  He might, in a couple years, be passable in a pinch on the interior.  For half a game.  But right now, evidence indicates he is not a guard.

Now, let's flip the question.  What if we do take a rookie LT.  Assume he's the answer.  Great.  You have a bloody roster full of guys that you are 100% - 1000% - sure are NOT the answer inside.  We got wrecked game in, game out.  BC isn't going to help there.  Deonte is a question mark. 

Now you have your fourth round+ picks left to solve the interior.  Three positions of the absolute worst line play we've seen ever, and we're trying to solve it with fourth round picks?  Effectively, you're rolling next year with bookend tackles and basically the same losers who caused 75% of our line problems this year.

Free agency you say?  Are you kidding me?  Read the room man!  No free agent worth a dime is coming here.  Everyone on the planet (clearly, David Tepper is vacationing on Mars) knows that this is a team without coaching and low on talent.  How do you attract a free agent?

We did this to ourselves.  Or, Tepper did it to ourselves I guess.  Rhule is not the guy, and the problems this causes bleed down to nearly every level of the organization.  Even a "rockstar" OC isn't going to fix this problem.

The best we can do is mitigate.  Trade down if you can, though I think that's incredibly unlikely.  If you can't, take an IOL early since it's the only thing you have resembling a guaranteed fix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only way I see CMC holding up is moving him to receiver, and I think he has all the skills to be a really good slot guy.

Robbie is decent as a decoy/speedster but it is clear he has given up any ambition of maximize his talent. Maybe a contact year will help if it is only motivation, and given he knew all along what darnald is i can't even blaim him for lacking it.

With Moore and chuba that's more than above average skill guys (regardless of TEs).

Add a great guard and we have, just, enough for a good QB to move the ball effectively.

So all boils down to getting good QB  play. I honestly don't see it next season, it certainly ain't on the roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From Person:

Is Brady Christensen bound to be an OG or do you see Matt Rhule giving him a shot at LT? I thought he showed some good things during the few games when he was lined at that position. Thanks. — Guillaume G.

Rhule and Fitterer both said nice things about Christensen and left open the possibility that last year’s third-round pick could be the left tackle of the future. But they also made sure to point out Christensen’s versatility, with Rhule saying he’s confident Christensen will start … somewhere. But given what we’ve heard from Rhule previously about Christensen’s arm length and the fact that this is a draft loaded with talent at the tackle position, I’d bet they draft a tackle high and slide Christensen inside to guard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...