• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Being completely objective here, McAdoo was the best available Candidate for the Job

Ricky Spanish

14 hours ago, Shocker said:

The defense finished #2 in the league and it is average?  LOL.  So fuggin dumb.  Especially considering our offense…absurd 

BTW…your Steelers finished well below average on defense…maybe you are confused again

The Panthers are way closer to winning a championship than the Steelers.  By a LONG ways.  Steelers are about to totally rebuild 

The defense was average. You can see the case for that conclusion in this thread:

• Pie 1

I haven't read through this thread, but did McAdoo really turn around the Giants offense or did the Giants simply draft OBJ?

In 2013, the Giants were 28th in the league with 308ypg and also 28th in the league in points with 18.4ppg. In 2014, McAdoo took over at OC and they drafted OBJ. In 2014, the Giants were 10th in the league with 367ypg and 13th in the league in points with 23.8ppg. Big improvements, right? That's +59 yards per game and +5.4 points per game.

But wait... OBJ had 1305 yards and 12 TDs. That's basically 80 yards per game and 5 points per game himself. That accounts for more than the yardage improvements and virtually all of the scoring improvements.

• Pie 2

19 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I haven't read through this thread, but did McAdoo really turn around the Giants offense or did the Giants simply draft OBJ?

In 2013, the Giants were 28th in the league with 308ypg and also 28th in the league in points with 18.4ppg. In 2014, McAdoo took over at OC and they drafted OBJ. In 2014, the Giants were 10th in the league with 367ypg and 13th in the league in points with 23.8ppg. Big improvements, right? That's +59 yards per game and +5.4 points per game.

But wait... OBJ had 1305 yards and 12 TDs. That's basically 80 yards per game and 5 points per game himself. That accounts for more than the yardage improvements and virtually all of the scoring improvements.

OBJ didn't add an extra 1305 yards in a vacumm.  If he wasn't there a different receiver would have received targets.  You have to decide how many extra yards he produced over what his replacement would have had.

OBJ defientaly helped but I think it is a bit of a stretch to attribute all of the improvement to OBJ and none to McAdoo.

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

OBJ didn't add an extra 1305 yards in a vacumm.  If he wasn't there a different receiver would have received targets.  You have to decide how many extra yards he produced over what his replacement would have had.

OBJ defientaly helped but I think it is a bit of a stretch to attribute all of the improvement to OBJ and none to McAdoo.

90% OBJ, 10% McAdoo

People have forgotten how damn good OBJ was his first three years in the league. I mean, he was on potential GOAT trajectory.

About the OBJ argument:  He has not been great everywhere he has been.  And since WRs do not take snaps, there has to be strategy involved to get him the ball. Of course, there will always be the argument that the player made the coach and not the other way around--but that can be said about every coach.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

90% OBJ, 10% McAdoo

People have forgotten how damn good OBJ was his first three years in the league. I mean, he was on potential GOAT trajectory.

He averaged about 1.5 yards more a target than the #1 a year before and he got about 11 targets a game.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

He averaged about 1.5 yards more a target than the #1 a year before and he got about 11 targets a game.

😂

Victor Cruz caught 59% of his targets while OBJ caught 70% of his and could make plays Cruz couldn't dream of. Cruz was a slot receiver forced into a #1 role and got popular because he played in a big market city and did a cute little celebration dance. Your flailing trying to make your case here.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

😂

Victor Cruz caught 59% of his targets while OBJ caught 70% of his and could make plays Cruz couldn't dream of. Cruz was a slot receiver forced into a #1 role and got popular because he played in a big market city and did a cute little celebration dance. Your flailing trying to make your case here.

That is why I used YPT not YPC, that factors in Cruz's lower catch %. Their actually YPC is actually alot closer.

I'm not failing at all, a player's stats don't happen in a vacuum.  You can't say a RB adds an extra 1000 yards to a team on 200 carries. Another RB would have also rushing yards on those carries, you have to look at the difference between the two to decide the value the player is adding.