• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why does David Tepper gravitate to NFL outsiders?

hepcat

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We have a front office who was hired knowing that Rhule had the final say on everything football related. Now maybe they didn't realize how hard headed he'd be in terms of actually listening to and receiving sound advice. That's very possible. But good GM candidates don't take jobs as baby sitters for college coaches. Morgan likely deeply regrets leaving a solid organization in Buffalo.

I’m not sure Fitterer or Morgan have any regrets - yet. Rhule is probably going to be gone next off-season and they will be in charge of hiring the next coach. I think any hope I have for this franchise comes from the opportunity those guys will have to put their stamp on the team. They have at least been around winning NFL teams. 

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I’m not sure Fitterer or Morgan have any regrets - yet. Rhule is probably going to be gone next off-season and they will be in charge of hiring the next coach. I think any hope I have for this franchise comes from the opportunity those guys will have to put their stamp on the team. They have at least been around winning NFL teams. 

They should at least be nervous. Tepper could come in and do a full sweep. Mind you, that wouldn't necessarily be the best decision. At this point, you really can't say what Tepper will do with any surety. 

17 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Has he come out and said it was an intentional sabbatical? Because the more likely scenario is like the NFL at large wasn’t happy he benched Eli Manning, one of the golden children of the NFL, and there wasn’t any interest in his services. He took a job on a doomed 2020 Jaguars staff, had an outside consulting role for an old colleague in Mike McCarthy which seems like a job he got almost out of pity, and McAdoo again finds himself on a doomed staff. It’s just not a situation that inspires any confidence this staff is going to put together a winning team. It feels like a collection of guys who couldn’t get jobs on most of the other NFL coaching staffs. 

He got ousted due to controversial benchings. You guys gotta stop responding to the troll accounts.

Luke left because this staff is inept and Luke read the writing on the wall. The best part to me is people like that actually believe the PC answer lol.

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-east/buffalo-bills/luke-kuechly-buffalo-bills-practice-sean-mcdermott-panthers#:~:text=Unfortunately%2C concussions ended his career,pro scout in June 2020.

He leaves the Panthers to go up North definitely where his kids/family are to chill with the Bills and their team. rofl

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

They should at least be nervous. Tepper could come in and do a full sweep. Mind you, that wouldn't necessarily be the best decision. At this point, you really can't say what Tepper will do with any surety. 

I’d be surprised if Tepper clears out the front office after Rhule is fired. I agree it probably wouldn’t be the best decision. But hey, Fitterer did think it was a good idea to pick up the $19m option for known failure like Sam Darnold. So maybe his decision making skills aren’t so great either.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Has he come out and said it was an intentional sabbatical?

Do you understand how NFL coaching contracts are worded in terms of collecting compensation due after having been fired? 

It's no coincidence that when he was fired he had 2-years left on his deal, and, he sat out 2-years.

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

...the more likely scenario is like the NFL at large wasn’t happy he benched Eli Manning, one of the golden children of the NFL, and there wasn’t any interest in his services.

🤦‍♂️😂

2 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

I was off a year who gives a fug. Still everything I said is true. Asshat

Literally nothing you said was true.

Hilarious that Tepper, Rhule & Co. are castigated when a ne'er do well like Hamilton declines an interview...

...and ALSO taken to the woodshed after hiring a long-tenured NFL veteran who has a stellar resume and a Super Bowl ring.

Gone Guys...just a miserable bunch, can't be a fun way to go through life 🤦‍♂️

3 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Hilarious that Tepper, Rhule & Co. are castigated when a ne'er do well like Hamilton declines an interview...

...and ALSO taken to the woodshed after hiring a long-tenured NFL veteran who has a stellar resume and a Super Bowl ring.

It's hilarious how sure of yourself and your opinions you still are despite being wrong about virtually everything you've ever posted. How's your man crush of a hedge fund bro doing so far as an owner? Damn, that Appaloosa Model is just killin' it! 😂

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

This is where I wonder is it just Matt Rhule who has a limited professional network? Or is it also Tepper? You’d think Fitterer and Dan Morgan would have more connections to help with a coaching search. That also begs the very real question we’ve all wondered that who would really want to take a job on a sinking ship like the Panthers? And even moreso, why did David Tepper need to pay a mediocre college coach like Matt Rhule so much money to coach the Panthers?

None of it makes sense. It reeks of incompetency and seems like no one wants to work for the Panthers. 

On the topic of Fitterer and Morgan not bringing anyone in from their network…

Just from personal experience, I’m not referring anyone I care about to a job where it’s a bad situation.  Rhule is running this show.

39 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Lmao I was so wrong a year off on when he coached. Hey Tep shove that Appaloosa up ya ass!

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:
3 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

It's hilarious how sure of yourself and your opinions you still are...

Exactly zero "opinions" offered in my post...

...only known facts.  

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Poo 1

4 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Do you understand how NFL coaching contracts are worded in terms of collecting compensation due after having been fired? 

It's no coincidence that when he was fired he had 2-years left on his deal, and, he sat out 2-years.

🤦‍♂️😂

You obviously don't remember the amount of flack McAdoo caught for benching Eli Manning and ruining his iron man streak. McAdoo became a pariah. 

https://gmenhq.com/2018/01/10/new-york-giants-toxic-mcadoo-nfl-2018/

Based upon merit, or lack of it, McAdoo won’t get a coordinator slot any time soon. The harsh reality remains that he simply doesn’t deserve one right now, and his road back to respectability may take a very long time.

McAdoo didn't just take 2 years off by choice. He was interviewing.

He interviewed for a job with the Cardinals in Jan 2019. https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2019/01/19/arizona-cardinals-add-tom-clements-offensive-coordinator-qbs-coach/2626299002/

He also interviewed with the Browns in Jan 2019. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-interview-former-giants-head-coach-ben-mcadoo-for-offensive-coordinator-job/

McAdoo finally landed a job as QB coach with the Jaguars in 2020. This excerpt from this SI article is pretty telling.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/after-2-years-spent-out-of-coaching-ben-mcadoo-is-embracing-his-role-with-jaguars

"I was at the point where I just wanted to get back in, I wanted to coach. It didn’t matter what I was coaching, and I’m blessed to have the opportunity here. I told guys the other day I would’ve taken a job coaching a monkey how to do hopscotch if I had to; I just wanted to get back in. I love coaching and I just love seeing and being around players, helping them get better, doing everything I can to help those guys get better. I look forward to doing it.”

That doesn't sound like a guy who had a lot of opportunity. 

And like I posted earlier, McAdoo even interviewed for the Panthers QB coach position in 2020 and 2021 and Rhule didn't hire him.

McAdoo isn't the "rockstar" hire we thought we would get after Jay Glazer made that comment. He's someone who had to beg to get back into the NFL after getting essentially blackballed. He's a bottom of the barrel type hire, that seems to be becoming the norm for a Panthers team that doesn't seem to run in the same circles as the rest of the NFL anymore. 

There was an article from a while back talking about new owners taking a while to figure out the NFL. The Pegulas in Buffalo took a while to get Beane and McDermott. They had Marrone and Ryan. McNair took a while to get BOB after Capers and Kubiak. Kraft had Parcells leave on him and then had Pete Carrol in NE before getting Belichick. 

I think Tepper will eventually get it, may take another coach or two but he will get it eventually.