• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things couldn’t have set up better for Tepper and Rhule

mcsmoak

9 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I dont know. I really do see Rodgers ending up in Denver. The packers have to go into rebuilding mode this offseason, and A-Rod doesnt want to be apart of that. I expect Den to throw a couple firsts and mid round picks to land A-Rod this offseason.

Saint are probbaly going to go big on Russ. Sean Payton is threatening to leave them, and if they want to retain him, they will need to get him a a capable QB. Otherwise, that franchise will be heading into a full on rebuild. 

The Carr piece is interesting, because I never understood why they would want to move on from him. However, it will be a new regime with Carr's 3rd GM and HC.... they didnt pick him, so there is always that possibility they will want their own guy. Especially if Harbaugh comes in. Id expect them to move on from DC if that is the case. 

Yep. I see Rodgers in Denver. They feel like a team that's a QB away. I think he'll retire before he plays another season in GB. They're $44M over the cap next year and Rodgers says he wants no part of a rebuild. They're in forced rebuild territory. Honestly, they're far better off trading him for assets to rebuild around than wasting his final years.

8 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

One is a higher risk than the other. Baker has proven he can win in the NFL (with a mediocre franchise). Howell is unproven.

Baker's next contract will be extrememly manageable. He isnt going to big money. Id expect him to get a Goff type of contract but less franchise crippling.

I can see that argument. I’d counter with one has an already established ceiling in the NFL while the other could be better. 

1 hour ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Yeah, they're preaching patience to the fans while doing impatient, cut-corner bullshit on their end. "It takes 5 years to turn around a team." said Tepper. Tell that to Cincinatti.

Cinci is only turned around because they kept their staff after 2 years, instead of blowing it up. LOL

2 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I can see that argument. I’d counter with one has an already established ceiling in the NFL while the other could be better. 

fair point, but I really dont think we have seen Baker's ceiling. That coaching staff has put him in a situation where success is forced. I think Baker has much to show still. You cant use this last season,because the dude was playing at 45% health. 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

Baker Mayfield is definitely better than people give him credit for.  But seriously, Cleveland would have to be 10 kinds of stupid to get rid of him.  Consider:

Prior to Baker, the last QB to have a winning season in Cleveland was . . . Derek Anderson (2007).

Prior to Baker, the last QB to lead the Browns to the playoffs was . . . Tim Couch (2002).

The Browns are nearly the Jets over the last 20 years.  And Baker has looked pretty good there.  If he gets out of Cleveland, onto a truly GOOD team, he'll be seen in a very different light.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

One is a higher risk than the other. Baker has proven he can win in the NFL (with a mediocre franchise). Howell is unproven.

Baker's next contract will be extrememly manageable. He isnt going to big money. Id expect him to get a Goff type of contract but less franchise crippling.

Basically this. Finished product versus a guy that MIGHT be as good as Baker.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. I see Rodgers in Denver. They feel like a team that's a QB away. I think he'll retire before he plays another season in GB. They're $44M over the cap next year and Rodgers says he wants no part of a rebuild. They're in forced rebuild territory. Honestly, they're far better off trading him for assets to rebuild around than wasting his final years.

Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, and Washington all have workable cap space, need for upgrades at QB, and rosters that could win with Rodgers.

I could include Miami in that group if they also fix that horrid Oline

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, and Washington all have workable cap space, need for upgrades at QB, and rosters that could win with Rodgers.

The Steelers will be an interesting one to watch, but trading valuable building block assets for an aging bandaid QB already talking retirement just doesn't seem to be a very Steelers-like move. Then again, Colbert is retiring and who knows how much influence he has left within the organization so who knows?

8 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Pittsburgh wont go after another older QB that could retire soon, they arent in that kind of window currently as a franchise.  They have already said that Mason Rudolph wil be the starter next year. Personally I think they should go after Kirk.

Denver is the favorite because Aaron wants to live there as well, and their roster is in a win now windows. They will be the Bucs of 2020 of the AFC.

Indy is possible but Id expect Jimmy G, Kirk or Russ to be there before Aaron. 

WFT is going to trade up or trade for JG/RW. 

Miami's owner came out and said they are committing to Tua. So they will no longer be in the trade discussions, but of course this could change with the new HC. Tua was one of the most accurate QBs in the league last year, with one of the worst olines. So there is promise stilll with him, and miami fans still like him.

Edited by TheCasillas

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The Steelers will be an interesting one to watch, but trading valuable building block assets for an aging bandaid QB already talking retirement just doesn't seem to be a very Steelers-like move. Then again, Colbert is retiring and who knows how much influence he has left within the organization so who knows?

Valid points on Pittsburgh, but I wouldn't bet against them either. They have a lot of good pieces in place and it seems that talking involving Tomlin is at an all time high. Finding a franchise QB isn't easy, but Rodgers looks like he could go another 4-5 years. 

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Basically this. Finished product versus a guy that MIGHT be as good as Baker.

Physically I see the comparison. Howell is a better athlete with his legs but nowhere near elite in that category at the NFL level. Baker probably has a little stronger arm. But yeah, physically they're comparable.

I think the big difference between the two is between the ears. Every QB worth having walks a fine line straddling confident and cocky. Baker is kind of a hot head and tends to stagger over to the cocky side quite a bit IMO. Howell is a much more level headed never get too high, never get too low type.

I honestly think Howell will be the better NFL QB but I think Baker is significantly underrated right now after probably being significantly overrated early on. Similar ride to Derek Carr's first four years in the league. 

• Pie 1