• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For all the Brady Christensen fans....

kungfoodude

1 hour ago, Louie said:

So, basically Brady Christensen has all the physical tools to be a starting LT, but no one probably worked with him on hip position, shoulder height, and footwork. That falls on the Offensive Coordinator not providing individual time and the O line coach for not coaching worth a poo.

And we are wasting another year with Rhay-Z steering the ship. I'm not a fan or a hater of BC, I just hate incompetence and Rhule's greatest success was unfortunately in that area last year. We should have seen BC and Brown both get significant PT last year but didn't because Rhule thought he knew something 1000 %that the entire NFL and 95% of the Huddle knew to be BS. Irving and Brown were not starting material. 

Edited by SmokinwithWilly
  • Flames 2

I agree with SCO96 that the most frustrating thing for me about our coaching staff is not another 5-win season, it is not pretty much all of our second-year players having a "sophomore slump" at the same time (which does concern me), it is the fact that we know almost nothing more about people like BC now than we did when the season started.

Now combine those last two frustrations.

It became obvious our OL stunk and was not going to gel.  At that point, evaluating players like BC to see exactly what we have becomes rather important.  Do I expect him to be Art Shell, either out of the chute or in 3 years?  No, but if he is a decent LT or can become one, he is better than anything we have had since 2015 when Oher handled that position pretty well.  Oher looks like Art Shell compared to what we have seen since.

Right now, we have too small of a sample size on BC to know.  Nor do we have any indication he was coached to be a LT after his first season, so we don't know if he can become one.

This also points out another rabbit hole we have gone down.  Everybody gave a standing ovation to the move toward analytics.  Data-driven decisions rest on a few assumptions.  The first is the data you are looking at tells enough of the picture to see a trend (is it complete or are there other factors that need to be factored in)?  The second is are the exceptions to the conclusions are rare enough to not be a major factor (most decent tackles have arms longer than some size, but enough have arms shorter than that making it impossible to know if there is causation)?  Third is that the data, which occurred rather naturally (nobody was relying on it or playing to it, it just happened indicating a trend) holds up when people rely on it enough to increase its frequency, especially under circumstances it would not happen naturally (going for 2 more often vs. only in the 4th quarter is an example).  Using analytics is in decisions is one thing, relying on them absolutely is another.

If BC could fill the LT slot as a medium or long term solution is still not known. As a result, we are still in the market for a LT despite the fact we may have one, ,or not.  But we do know BC is versatile!

BC is not the only example.  Which may be why our 2020 draft class almost entirely had a "sophomore slump." 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Our cap situation would dictate the either BC is our LT next year, or we are drafting one. Cameron Erving will probably still be on the team (Counting 6.5 mil towards or cap with over 4 mil in dead cap if he is cut). They may try to move him to Guard. Daley and Jordan  are under contract but could be cut without adding much to the dead cap (wouldn't save a ton either as they are both due under 1 mil each). T. Scott, John Miller and Paradis are all FAs. Elflein  (counting over 7 mil towards our cap next season) and Deonte Brown are both still under contract.

It will be interesting to see how the line shakes out. Besides our QB issue the OL will be the  hottest topic this offseason most likely.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

This.  When you use him at LG, dabble at C, RG, RT, and then LT during his rookie season....

When you have, at end of season pressers,  Deonte mentioning he's trying to learn Center, and Rhule mentioning BC as potentially playing center it just goes to show Rhule learned nothing over the course of the year. Hopefully these vet coordinators shut him down on his weird hyperactive reactionary decisions/solutions. I assume they took the jobs knowing Rhule doesn't know what he's doing and they can either play along with his bad ideas or just tell him straight up let them do their jobs 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

When you have, at end of season pressers,  Deonte mentioning he's trying to learn Center, and Rhule mentioning BC as potentially playing center it just goes to show Rhule learned nothing over the course of the year.

While I pretty much agree with you 100% on this, I'd like to pose a question to you and the other Huddlers.

If Deonte  (or Brady for that matter) could master the position, would their conversion to Center be a positive or negative for the Panthers?

The way I see it we have 4 spots on the line that need to be addressed. If you could solidify a spot on the O-line with either guy it would make us better in 2022.

Edited by SCO96

58 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

While I pretty much agree with you 100% on this, I'd like to pose a question to you and the other Huddlers.

If Deonte  (or Brady for that matter) could master the position, would their conversion to Center be a positive or negative for the Panthers?

The way I see it we have 4 spots on the line that need to be addressed. If you could solidify a spot on the O-line with either guy it would make us better in 2022.

For me, I don't mind taking a "natural" guard and seeing if he can also play center.  The blocking schemes for the IOL are extremely similar, especially when the center is lining up in front of a NT. Asking a "natural" tackle to do that is more of a stretch.  Not impossible, but more to learn, IMO.

Of course, since everybody knows BC's arms aren't long enough to be a tackle.......at least in Rhule's mind.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, SCO96 said:

I didn't watch the OP video yet but from past film on BC his biggest weakness in college was the bullrush, even from LBer's. Hard to see it being a good idea for him to line up in front of a nose tackle. Deonte would make more sense but I don't recall seeing that many 350 pound centers off the top of my head. Landon Dickerson played C in college, that's the biggest guy I can think of in recent memory. Sounds tough on the knees at that weight. I'm fine with trying guys at other spots if they aren't getting it done at their natural position because it's usually try that or cut them, this seems the opposite of that

• Pie 2

42 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I didn't watch the OP video yet but from past film on BC his biggest weakness in college was the bullrush, even from LBer's. Hard to see it being a good idea for him to line up in front of a nose tackle. Deonte would make more sense but I don't recall seeing that many 350 pound centers off the top of my head. Landon Dickerson played C in college, that's the biggest guy I can think of in recent memory. Sounds tough on the knees at that weight. I'm fine with trying guys at other spots if they aren't getting it done at their natural position because it's usually try that or cut them, this seems the opposite of that

Deonte at center might look like Jabba the Hut over the ball.  The other problem, given his size, is how mobile is he when he is not lined up in front of the NT?  He has to back up and react, which would be quite a feat for somebody that big.

The focus on versatility may play well in mid-level to and smaller college ball.  It is a great quality for the backups, especially on the OL, DBs, and LBs.  But I would prefer my starters be exceptional or very reliable in their positions. 

It's funny, though, for all the talk about versatility, we didn't have anybody whose versatility include place kicking.  Maybe everybody's leg to body length ratio was too short?

Edited by Sgt Schultz
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Deonte at center might look like Jabba the Hut over the ball.  The other problem, given his size, is how mobile is he when he is not lined up in front of the NT?  He has to back up and react, which would be quite a feat for somebody that big.

The focus on versatility may play well in mid-level to and smaller college ball.  It is a great quality for the backups, especially on the OL, DBs, and LBs.  But I would prefer my starters be exceptional or very reliable in their positions. 

It's funny, though, for all the talk about versatility, we didn't have anybody whose versatility include place kicking.

Not even the punter! The even worse part about it is they didn't even have a clue until they had open try outs during warm ups an hour before the game. I remember hearing PNP talk about how our kicking units were just hanging out drinking gatorade in training camp when the Ravens guys were always finding something to work on. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

Not even the punter! The even worse part about it is they didn't even have a clue until they had open try outs during warm ups an hour before the game. I remember hearing PNP talk about how our kicking units were just hanging out drinking gatorade in training camp when the Ravens guys were always finding something to work on. 

That is almost a fileable offense by itself. How the fug can a coach get all the way to the NFL level and not know you need backups? WTF does Matt Rhule do all day?  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1