• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alright screw it, take Pickett

RumHam

Just now, ForJimmy said:

If you don’t like what you see you don’t draft one. I just said there is one they are high on, they should just draft him. 

Fair enough, it seemed like you were on the 'draft a QB no matter what' train.  There are some folks here on that train. 

Drafting a QB in the first round is always a crap shoot, especially when your team isn't very good or your coaching is suspect.

However, in the end, getting the right QB is the only way to win in this league. It doesn't have to be a Brady or a Manning, but you've got to find the steady guy who can will a win when needed. All the rest of the team is just ancillary. 

And on defense, you've got to have just the right middle linebacker out there being the QB for the defense. Personally, I think we move Jeremy Chinn there and we're set. His brains, knowledge of the game, leadership traits and ability to punch way above his weight outweigh any other considerations.

So, yeah, grab the best QB still on the board when we draft if you think that's the guy that will work for Rhule. If there isn't a guy that Rhule can make into a winner, then grab Linderbaum, set the center of the line and wait for next year, because of Rhule hasn't solved the QB problem by the end of training camp, we're going to have a top 10 pick again next year.

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

No but if we pass on one who turns another franchise around you bet your ass I’ll be bitter. 

It depends for me.  If they turn around a doormat franchise, yeah, I'll be disappointed that we passed on him.  But if you take Mac Jones, for instance, he couldn't have replicated what he did in NE here.  Heck, he'd been on IR before the midway point of the season in a Panthers uniform.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Icege said:

Chase Garbers is fuging awful. How in the Hell do you have him as your #6?

100% agree with the last paragraph tho.

Not my personal rankings. I don't want Garbers. He isn't on my personal list. For some reason, there are GMs who have their eye on him. Then again we see teams take QBs like Garbers in every draft. Look at Mills from last year.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I find it funny and ironic that Willis has done so little yet is the hot name now.  Last year when I wanted us to take Tray Lance, the dude's game was put under a freaking microscope by some people here and picked apart.  We have a weak QB class and a guy that can't hold a candle to Lance is getting super hyped. 

Lol, our fan base is desperate.  Willis is R-A-W folks and a highlight film composed of 90% run plays for a QB isn't impressive to me.

I keep wondering if the people who so badly want Willis have actually watched him when he's had to play against good competition.

I have, and it was ugly.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

20 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Fair enough, it seemed like you were on the 'draft a QB no matter what' train.  There are some folks here on that train. 

I think everyone on the draft a QB train explicitly means "if there's one with a high first round grade there".  Like if by some miracle all 5 picks before us are QBs, the value wouldn't be there (probably won't be if more than one is taken before us tbh).  The same is true of the "OL no matter what" crowd, imo.

Just now, mav1234 said:

I think everyone on the draft a QB train explicitly means "if there's one with a high first round grade there".  Like if by some miracle all 5 picks before us are QBs, the value wouldn't be there (probably won't be if more than one is taken before us tbh).  The same is true of the "OL no matter what" crowd, imo.

This isn't really a bad year to be in the "draft OL no matter what" crowd.

The "draft QB no matter what" crowd? Not so much.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

So I went back and looked at QBs drafted from '10 to '19 and put them into two categories (the ones that actually were starters for a while) and found 2 was the high water mark for difference making franchise QBs in any one draft. The '10, '13, '14 and '15 drafts netted zero successful franchise QBs.  The '12 and '17 drafts netted 2 and only ONE in the years not stated.  The last two drafts, while looking promising, are too new to include at this point.

The other category was what I deemed 'purgatory' QBs...those that keeps a team competitive, but will not good enough for a post season on a regular basis.  The 2012 season was unusual with 4 of them and the '14 season netting 3.  All other years were 1 or 2.

So as you can see, with most years having roughly 10 QBs drafted, finding a franchise saving QB is MUCH harder than it seems on the surface.

13 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

If all 3 OTs are taken, then I'm trading down or taking Linderbaum at a slight reach if unable to move.

15 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Willis is 6 freakin 1 and will not be able to scramble as much versus NFL defenses. Hard pass.

This just isn't the year to draft a QB early. Gamble late or wait until next year.

So taller than Bryce Young, Kyler Murray and an inch shorter than Lamar?