• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albright: Panthers circling on Pickett

electro's horse

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

No problem. Let me put it this way.

If we were drafting Burrow, I would be "Holy sh1t, we're getting Joe Burrow!

Now that it looks like we're getting Pickett, I'm like "Holy sh1t, we're getting Pickett."

Those statements are in no way equivalent.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I'll just say this...if we draft him, I hope they are right. I don't see it happening (him being the next Joe Burrow...I absolutely see us drafting him). It would be great, but I'm not counting on him being good. He's got to win me over (not that he or anyone at all should care about my opinion). I'm going to have to see sustainable good results for me to feel at all about him. I will not be disappointed. I refuse to be. I'm starting off at ground zero with him or really anyone in this organization.

I've got no faith in this team under this leadership anfld I hope they make me wrong because I'd love to eat that crow.

• Pie 6

16 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I'll just say this...if we draft him, I hope they are right. I don't see it happening (him being the next Joe Burrow...I absolutely see us drafting him). It would be great, but I'm not counting on him being good. He's got to win me over (not that he or anyone at all should care about my opinion). I'm going to have to see sustainable good results for me to feel at all about him. I will not be disappointed. I refuse to be. I'm starting off at ground zero with him or really anyone in this organization.

I've got no faith in this team under this leadership anfld I hope they make me wrong because I'd love to eat that crow.

I definitely don’t think he is as good as Burrow. He has shown an ability to study film, work on himself and become much better than he was. His arm strength is average (similar to Burrow) and he go through his progressions while buying time in the pocket (like Burrow). Burrow is just wired different than an average QB. He rarely makes mistakes and stays calm under pressure. He is constantly working on becoming better (posted an article earlier on how he has increased his motion/velocity throwing from year one to two). If Pickett can be 75% Burrow he would be worth the pick. 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, bigdog10 said:

I don’t necessarily think you were wrong about Mac at 3. I’ve read im a couple different spots that Shannahan was dead set on Mac but felt overwhelming pressure from his fan base and front office to take the freakish athleticism that Lance  provides. 

I don’t think it’s out of the question to say that Mac Jones on that niners team has them in the super bowl. 

His target was Lance, there’s no way he gives up that much future draft capital for a specific target and then change his mind.

• Beer 1

13 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Or just maybe teams opinions change as prospects get scrutinized under microscopes and leaks get out on who teams above them like as the draft approaches?

I mean they do, but a lot of draft predictors had Horn penned for quite a long time. On the other hand the ones with insider knowledge on the board were throwing anything at the wall to see what stuck, and still missed.

• Poo 1

14 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

You’re wrong she said he was number 1 on board.

I mean, okay.

We were all here last year. The last prediction I recall from Verge was Waddle, then maybe Horn or the other big corner. It was pretty off considering how many other experts got it right.

14 hours ago, PandaMan said:

Jimmy Clausen?  He wanted to trade up for Jimmy in 2010, which if he succeeded, would’ve been #1 overall in 2011.  Cam easily had the most talent in that QB draft class so that one was hard to miss after our historically inept 2010 offense.

but yeah, Hurney was great in the first round.  Cam was the only QB he hit on, though

Yeah, that rumor has been on the forum for 10 years, and still makes no sense, and has zero sources outside of this forum.

I still don't believe it. We stayed pat, we traded with no one, and Jimmy was there. We then dumped him after one season.

• Poo 1

5 hours ago, Krovvy said:

Yeah, that rumor has been on the forum for 10 years, and still makes no sense, and has zero sources outside of this forum.

I still don't believe it. We stayed pat, we traded with no one, and Jimmy was there. We then dumped him after one season.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Panthers were the only team to call St. Louis Thursday night to trade up.  They didn’t have the ammo, but they still got their quarterback.

Profootballtalk : Panthers take Jimmy Clausen off the board

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Panthers were the only team to call St. Louis Thursday night to trade up.  They didn’t have the ammo, but they still got their quarterback.

Profootballtalk : Panthers take Jimmy Clausen off the board

Yes, this article is the one someone posted years ago to prove how wrong everyone was.

The Rams had the first overall pick in the draft, and the first of the second round. The rumor was we wanted to trade up into the first round to draft Clausen. Not that we were going to trade up a few spots in the second round to jump teams.

Trading up a few spots for a quarterback in the second isn't a crazy idea, especially when Carolina didn't have one.

You have to remember that Pickles was highly touted by a lot of the media at the time. Even after his atrocious rookie season we had analysts on the draft night talking about how the Panthers should stick with Clausen.

The rumor was specifically about trading into the first round. Which would have been a bad move.

Edited by Krovvy