• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on trading DJ Moore?

hepcat

4 hours ago, shaq said:

First off you none of us have any idea what his asking price is your literally guessing. Secondly, to win football games you actually have to resign your talented players. Y’all really want to turn into the old Browns smh.

1) Any competent agent is gunna use the whole “3 consecutive 1000 yd seasons” argument as if that means he’s elite in order to push for the most money possible. So while we don’t know the number, is probably okay to assume he’s wanting to secure a large bag

2) You definitely don’t have to resign your own guys, especially not when you have bigger needs and are still building your identity.

6 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Thats all well and good but you made an arithmetic error, 16+17+24 = 57.

Dj has had 2, 4, 4, and 4 TDs each of his seasons. He is not a huge RZ threat. He is a good player but he is not an elite #1 WR. 

Also DJ has 14 TD catches in his career, not 16.

No I was correct.

2019 (17) + 2020 (16) + 2021 (14) =47. I only counted the past 3 seasons.

I left the 2018 season off on purpose because I was trying to illustrate just how bad our QB play had been since Cam was got hurt at the start of 2019, DJ Moore's 2nd season.

For the past three seasons, the total TD passes as a team have decreased each season...in a pass happy league 🙄

Edited by SCO96

Just now, SCO96 said:

No I was correct.

2019 (17) + 2020 (16) + 2021 (14) =47. I only counted the past 3 seasons.

I left the 2018 season off on purpose because I was trying to illustrate just how bad our QB play had been since Cam was got hurt at the start of the 2019 , DJ Moore's 2nd season.

For the past three seasons, the total TD passes as a team have decreased each season...in a pass happy league 🙄

Ahh ok, but you were still overstating moores contributions. He had 12 Tds out of 47 which is a little more than 1/4th of the TDs. 

So assuming he was playing with the passing TD leader and his pattern remained about the same, he would have around 10 TDs. You would have to also assume he could take Mike Evans spot on the Bucs and be the #1 WR. 

I think replacing Evans with Moore would cause Brady to have less overall TDs, but thats just me. 

5 minutes ago, Reebis21 said:

1) Any competent agent is gunna use the whole “3 consecutive 1000 yd seasons” argument as if that means he’s elite in order to push for the most money possible. So while we don’t know the number, is probably okay to assume he’s wanting to secure a large bag

2) You definitely don’t have to resign your own guys, especially not when you have bigger needs and are still building your identity.

I think DJ is good. I think DJ has the talent to be great. That said, if I were GM and thought he had no interest in resigning after year 5, I'd consider a trade if there was a willing partner willing to give up a 2nd choice...or solid player who could start immediately.

I hate to say this, but if I were DJ Moore and had dreams of playing for a winning franchise/playoff contender year in and year out, I couldn't get out of Carolina fast enough.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Ahh ok, but you were still overstating moores contributions. He had 12 Tds out of 47 which is a little more than 1/4th of the TDs. 

So assuming he was playing with the passing TD leader and his pattern remained about the same, he would have around 10 TDs. You would have to also assume he could take Mike Evans spot on the Bucs and be the #1 WR. 

I think replacing Evans with Moore would cause Brady to have less overall TDs, but thats just me. 

I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out.

Edited by SCO96

3 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Threads like this show the Panthers are down pretty bad

If you're gonna trade any one asset this year it should be trading down with that 6th pick to acquire more picks, the way you did last year after the first round. One player isn't gonna fix the offensive line. 

In theory I agree with you Kev. But, one (new) player could fix this line in the following scenarios.

Let's BC is competent at LT,  Deonte Brown becomes a competent RG, Efflein moves over to LG, and Moton remains steady at RT, we could draft Tyler Linderbaum at C and actually improve our line with one player addition. 

Or, if BC could play LG and Efflein started at center, and the right side of the line works out in the outline above, adding a LT @ # 6 in this year's draft could also improve the line with only one (new) player.

But, we'd have to have at least two new starters for 2022 already on the roster. And unfortunately we just don't know that at this time.

The Panthers should trade down, maybe twice, and target one of Kenyon Green or Zion Johnson bc both of them are day one starters and much more talented than the free agents who signed here last year. They also both can play more than one spot on the line. Kenyon and BC can start on the left side, or BC can start at LT and Zion can be tried at LG or C. Linderbaum might also be there somewhere in the teens and trading down for him would be a good call if you can also get more picks elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Someone would have to significantly overpay. Very few WRs would have three straight 1000 yard seasons given our QB and overall offensive situation in those three seasons. DJ is wildly underrated by this fanbase. I think he's the second best WR we've ever had. If you want to still out Moose over him I won't argue too hard against it. But at absolute worst he's 3rd. No one else is even in the conversation.

I honestly wouldn't trade him for any less than two 1sts.

4th best. Behind Smith, Muhammed and Bersin.

• Flames 1

51 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Dj has had 2, 4, 4, and 4 TDs each of his seasons. He is not a huge RZ threat. He is a good player but he is not an elite #1 WR. 

With the contract we gave Robby we will have to pay DJ 18m+ per season and I am not comfortable with that. 

Receiving touchdowns tend to be a very random stat from year to year. You get a better QB and all that stuff falls in to place. When Cam was at his apex, Ted Ginn of all people scored 10 touchdowns (and dropped several more), Devin Funchess had a season with 8 and Kelvin Benjamin had one season with 9 and none of those guys are close to being as good as DJ.

Edited by X-Clown
  • Pie 1

IMO, I wouldn't trade DJ. I would like to see him with a competent QB situation and competent offense. But, ultimately, if we can't achieve that, I would trade him. 

We can always draft another promising young WR and hope that by the time they are 4-5 years into the league, the Panthers have figured something out.

• Beer 1

59 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

With the contract we gave Robby we will have to pay DJ 18m+ per season and I am not comfortable with that. 

As a team we were 31st, 28th, and 31st in passing TDs during DJ's career. I'll judge DJ on his ability to score TDs when we get a QB who can throw TDs.

• Beer 4

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

We do need to see more leadership and effort out of him. He absolutely got lazy on routes where he was supposed to clear out defenders to open up other guys, like when he got Robby pummeled. Whether the losing got to him or not, I don’t know, but he got called out by the announcers multiple games in a row and that’s not acceptable. He’s got the talent and I don’t want to trade him and it shouldn’t even be a discussion except for the fact that Robby was extended.

I hear you man, im not saying DJ is a perfect player he definitely has things he needs to work on. I just think hes a too proven of a commodity to move on from and create a big hole we would need to fill. First round picks can flop, knowing you already have a young star receiver is awesome. Good thing about Robby is he only signed a two year deal, and will most likely will get cut after next season.