• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If we draft a QB, I want Carson Strong

Ricky Spanish

Cams running ability hindered his early development as a NFL QB. You see him now actually go through all his reads 4-5 at times before reacting.

Carson is relying on his arm to make his plays from the beginning. He's coming back from the knee so I'm sure his mobility will increase as time goes forward.

Maybe high risk at 6, but a MUCH MUCH MUCH better pick at 6 than old Pickett. Younger, more upside, height, arm etc.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Dude, everything I've pretty much read says that he is an AVERAGE athlete. In today's NFL, that's not going to cut it. He's virtually a statue. I would like someone who, when the script breaks down, can ad lib and make things happen off schedule. 

His knee is a HUGE question mark that I don't want to have to deal with on any given Sunday. It could start swelling again, and then what? No thanks!

I like how you are trying to intimate that Corral will only be successful in an RPO-based offense. Like any QB coming out of college, Corral will need to grow and develop. He can do what Strong can and so much more. Plus, he's more accurate.

Corral is my number 2. I posted about it in the draft forum. I think he needs a year to sit. I think Strong can come in and start day 1.

Also, you can be a success in the NFL as a pocket passer, even today. Just because you aren't out there running RPOs and rushing for 1k yards doesn't mean your immobile. Strong has great mobility within the pocket, which is far more valuable than running ability. He has a better pocket presence than Kenny Pickett who is considered a better athlete, and as such, bails on more clean pockets than any prospect in the draft this year. 

But yeah, I like strong number one for future NFL success in the NFL. If Corral gets a chance to sit and learn, I like him too. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not that I'm a fan of taking Pickett at six, but to be fair, didn't people use the "one year wonder" criticism on Joe Burrow too?

As to Strong, I don't really give a sh-t about a quarterback's athleticism if they can make the reads and get the ball out fast.

I swear it's like people never watched Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees play (or didn't pay attention to just how long their careers lasted).

Strong has issues just like everyone else. And, his issues certainly won't overcome a bad line--maybe even not an average line.

From PFN:

Young quarterbacks always have flaws, and Strong is no different. He’s farther along than his age would suggest, but he’s also not a finished product. Most notably, pressure can create trouble for Strong. The Nevada QB can plant his feet prematurely at times and make himself vulnerable. He also tries to force the ball under pressure occasionally, leading to volatility and inaccuracy. He doesn’t always detect pressure on the backside, and creating for himself isn’t a natural strength.

Furthermore, Strong sometimes fades away as he throws, limiting downfield distance. He can be easily forced backward by blitzing players, and he tends to fade back on rollouts at times, limiting his leverage as a thrower. Strong isn’t afraid to take risks even in high-pressure situations, but he can sometimes lead the ball into dangerous areas.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/carson-strong-nevada-qb-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

4 minutes ago, 89 said:

He's only a viable option in a trade-back scenario. At pick 6, that's a negative.

I agree. I would prefer to trade back, acquire more picks, then take him mid first. Dream scenario is one of the top edge guys falls to us so Philly sends us two of their first rounders to get him. Take strong and an OL with those two picks, then chill for day 3. 

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Strong has issues just like everyone else. And, his issues certainly won't overcome a bad line--maybe even not an average line.

From PFN:

Young quarterbacks always have flaws, and Strong is no different. He’s farther along than his age would suggest, but he’s also not a finished product. Most notably, pressure can create trouble for Strong. The Nevada QB can plant his feet prematurely at times and make himself vulnerable. He also tries to force the ball under pressure occasionally, leading to volatility and inaccuracy. He doesn’t always detect pressure on the backside, and creating for himself isn’t a natural strength.

Furthermore, Strong sometimes fades away as he throws, limiting downfield distance. He can be easily forced backward by blitzing players, and he tends to fade back on rollouts at times, limiting his leverage as a thrower. Strong isn’t afraid to take risks even in high-pressure situations, but he can sometimes lead the ball into dangerous areas.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/carson-strong-nevada-qb-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

All prospects do. In that same article, it talks about his strengths as a pocket passer:

What are the requisite traits for a pocket passer? Predictably, working well in the pocket is at the top of the list. To do that, you need to be poised. You have to navigate the pocket, manipulate space, and navigate passing lanes. High-level processing is preferred (as is high-level arm strength) to capitalize on windows as they appear. Strong has all of these traits.

The Nevada QB has a great arm along with natural mechanics, accuracy, pocket navigation ability, eye discipline, and anticipation. In structure, he has the processing ability and decisiveness to make the most of his system. He also has enough mobility to manipulate the pocket, stay on his feet, and perform some limited work off-platform.

Strong can still work on seeing the field a bit better and cutting down bad risks. NFL safeties may exploit his tendency to stare down targets downfield at times in his early years. Nevertheless, while he can be more consistent reading the field and manipulating defenders, Strong has shown the necessary processing capacity in flashes. Combine that with his natural pocket maneuverability and rocket arm, and he can be a long-term starter with good protection.

Damn, I'm watching that video and I'm thinking I really wouldn't mind us spending a day 2 pick on Cole Turner. Apparently not a great route runner, but I wouldn't mind having a target that big in the end zone. Between the size mismatch and his ability to go up and make catches with his hands, not many defender could stop him. Could definitely help our red zone woes.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

All prospects do. In that same article, it talks about his strengths as a pocket passer:

He looks to be a great clean pocket passer, and he damned well better be with one good knee.

LOL. I appreciate you, Ricky, but remember, you asked us to prove how wrong you are. 

• Beer 1

I want Ridder. He has question marks for sure but I like his mobility and the fact that he’s been in a leadership role on a winning team for some sustained period of time. 

My ideal scenario is trading into the teens and picking up a second. Drafting Linderbaum or hopefully one of the tackles falls, and then Ridder in the 2nd. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

I want Ridder. He has question marks for sure but I like his mobility and the fact that he’s been in a leadership role on a winning team for some sustained period of time. 

My ideal scenario is trading into the teens and picking up a second. Drafting Linderbaum or hopefully one of the tackles falls, and then Ridder in the 2nd. 

The top 3 Tackles could easily be gone by pick 5 in this draft. It's all over the place prediction wise. I dunno if that would be a good or bad thing for our trade back options

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Dude, everything I've pretty much read says that he is an AVERAGE athlete. 

Personally, I prefer someone who can get the ball out quick and accurate over someone who can run around and buy time scrambling. IMO, that is what separates great qb's from decent to good.  Of course, a qb who can do both would be even better.    

• Pie 2