• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft options from Williams & Alexander Char Observer

raleigh-panther

Panthers can pick a quarterback, tackle or trade. Evaluating each of their draft options

BY ELLIS L. WILLIAMS AND JONATHAN M. ALEXANDER

[email protected]
[email protected]

6 hours ago

There will be a new starting quarterback in Carolina next season. Whether general manager Scott Fitterer acquires a new signal-caller via free agency, trade or the draft remains unknown but something will change.

Fitterer has a plethora of veteran options — both realistic and not —worth exploring.

The Panthers also have an opportunity to draft a first-round quarterback. Similar to last year, Carolina picks inside the top 10 (No. 6) and should have their choice of a top prospect. But unlike the 2021 draft, the 2022 quarterback class is underwhelming.

It’s interesting because all we heard about last year’s quarterback class was that it was one of the deepest quarterback classes in recent memory. You had five first-round picks and all of them were off the board by the 15th pick,” Justin Melo of the Draft Network told The Observer. “You had the Panthers opting not to take one and now here we are the following year, where the draft is perceived to be a lot weaker at the quarterback position. I think it leads to a very bleak conversation for the Panthers and their current regime.”

Pittsburgh’s Kenny Pickett and Liberty quarterback Malik Willis are considered the top two quarterback prospects in this draft. If both were a part of last year’s class they’d ranked QB 6 and 7, respectively, according to multiple sources close to the evaluation process.

If selecting a quarterback at pick No. 6 is a stretch then Carolina could land one of the top three offensive tackle prospects, solidifying a key position for years. Perhaps there is a scenario where the Panthers could get everything they wanted.

Trading down would help the Panthers recoup valuable mid-round selections they lost by trading for Sam Darnold (Round 2, No. 38 and Round 4, No. 110) and C.J Henderson (Round 3, No. 70). The Observer’s Ellis L. Williams and Jonathan M. Alexander mock out the first five picks of the 2022 draft and then explore three possible scenarios for the Panthers. 

▪ 1. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

2. DETROIT LIONS: Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan

3. HOUSTON TEXANS: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

4. NEW YORK JETS: Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State

5. NY GIANTS: Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon

6. CAROLINA PANTHERS: ?

Option 1: Panthers select Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

Alexander: As tempted as I’d be to take a quarterback, I’m not exactly sold on any of them. One scout recently told me that a lot of teams came away impressed with Malik Willis at the Senior Bowl. He made a lot of good throws, and there’s no doubt he can run it. But the fact that there’s no consensus among experts of who the top quarterback is in this class concerns me. Everyone I’ve spoken with says taking a quarterback at six would be a reach. 

The safest route is sometimes the best route. And in this year’s draft, the safest route is offensive line. That also happens to be the Panthers’ biggest concern, where they allowed 52 sacks in 2021, the fifth-worst in the NFL. 

I know the Bengals did it without an offensive line, but their O-Line play was also the reason they didn’t win the Super Bowl. The Panthers have to get that fixed. 

They haven’t had a consistent left tackle since Jordan Gross retired in 2013. They should be able to get a Day 1 starter with the No. 6 pick. I still think the Panthers should have drafted left tackle Rashawn Slater or quarterback Justin Fields last year. But what’s done is done.

If I could choose anyone in this draft, it’d be N.C. State left tackle Ikem Ekwonu or Alabama left tackle Evan Neal. But both are likely to be gone by six.

In that case, my draft pick would be Mississippi State left tackle Charles Cross. By drafting a left tackle here, the Panthers would get a player they can plug in immediately. They could also move Brady Christensen to left or right guard. Taylor Moton would remain at right tackle. 

And a source said Pat Eflein is likely to start at center again next season with Matt Paradis’ inevitable departure, barring a free agent signing or injury. That leaves one vacant spot at guard, but their line would certainly improve from 2021. His flexibility in being able to play multiple positions was why the Panthers signed him last offseason.

Option 2: Panthers select Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh 

Williams: I understand the point my colleague laid out above. The Panthers must improve their offensive line. However, there are other ways of doing so without selecting a tackle at six. Plus, Carolina finding a franchise quarterback outside of the draft isn’t looking promising.

Considering Marcus Mariota, Mitchell Trubisky and Carson Wentz are all relatively known commodities, pairing one of them with Sam Darnold is uninspiring. Instead, selecting Pickett would organically instill hope back into Carolina. Unlike Willis, Pickett is ready to start Week 1 and could be poised for a Mac Jones-like rookie campaign.

“What’s so interesting about these options for Carolina at six in taking a quarterback is that they couldn’t be any more different,” Melo said of Pickett and Willis. “For Kenny, he wins with his mind. He’s such a good reader of the game, such a smart thrower of the football. He knows his stride and he knows he’s one of those guys that takes what the defense gives. His arm strength isn’t going to blow you away like it does with Malik. Although I do think it’s good enough. The mechanics are cleaner too.”

Willis is an outstanding prospect but I do not think Carolina is a natural fit for him. Playing behind a shaky offensive line and an undefined offensive scheme could lead to Willis developing poor habits while relying on his athleticism too often.

Pickett has already taken his developmental leap. He started four years at Pittsburgh. After throwing no more than 13 touchdowns in a season prior to last fall, he exploded for 42 passing touchdowns as a senior.

There were no coaching or system changes at Pitt. Pickett did not all of a sudden start throwing to a freakish pass-catching talent. Instead, he mastered his offense while becoming the most pro-ready quarterback in the draft. 

Option 3: Trading back

Alexander: If Ekwonu, Cross and Neal are not there, then I’m trading back with the Steelers. The Steelers are looking for a quarterback to replace Ben Roethlisberger, and if they are desperate enough, perhaps the Panthers could get their second-round pick in a deal.

Carolina then drafts a QB at 20, if available. I like Sam Howell, and primarily because I’ve covered him and seen him play and know he’s a clutch player with an amazing arm. With the right pieces around him, he can be good. I don’t think 20 is too high, especially if you can get other pieces in a trade.

The only way I’d do this is if the Panthers could get the Steelers’ second-round pick. And if they do, they should draft the best available guard or tackle in that round.

I think Brady Christensen can be a solid long-term option at left tackle for the Panthers if they draft a guard.

Williams: As comforting as trading back sounds, I do not think it is a realistic option for the Panthers.

The scenario my colleague laid out would make the Panthers’ No. 6 selection even less appealing to trade up for. Without a premier left tackle available, the only reason to move up would be for a quarterback. Denver selects at No. 9 and Washington at No. 11. Pittsburgh would have to worry if one of those two teams wanted Pickett or Willis. Even if that happens, Pittsburgh could trade with the Giants (No. 7) or Atlanta (No. 8), saving them capital by moving up fewer spots.

In theory, trading back would help recoup Day 2 or 3 selections. Though this is considered a deep draft class, that doesn’t mean a mid-round pick will be ready to start Week 1.

You’re gonna need some proven veteran guys that can step in immediately. And truthfully, you’re not getting a lot of (quality starters) on Day 2 and 3 anymore,” Melo said. “I invite you to look at last year’s class and look at every offensive lineman selected on Day 2 and Day 3. Some high upside guys, who I think will still be good players in this league, but they didn’t contribute much as a rookie.”

Panthers guard Deonte Brown is a shining example of Melo’s point. Carolina selected Brown in the sixth round last year. He appeared in two games. The Panthers believe he can contribute (and possibly start) this season. But he couldn’t start on one of the worst offensive lines last season as a rookie.

What we learned

There is no home-run option for the Panthers at No. 6. Willis likely isn’t ready. Pickett doesn’t have franchise-changing upside and trading back means less talented players come back in return.

Drafting an offensive tackle feels safe. Picking a quarterback seems necessary. Either way, Fitterer and coach Matt Rhule have a tenure-defining decision to make soon.

“It’s time to kind of put your cards on the table or chips into the middle and go with one of these rookie quarterbacks,” Melo said. Something they probably should have done a year ago.”

1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

Panthers guard Deonte Brown is a shining example of Melo’s point. Carolina selected Brown in the sixth round last year. He appeared in two games. The Panthers believe he can contribute (and possibly start) this season. But he couldn’t start on one of the worst offensive lines last season as a rookie.

Anyone who watched Brown play compared to Miller knows who should have been starting. It wasn't Miller. Just because a guy isn't starting doesn't mean he shouldn't be. We've seen this several times over, not just with Rhule, Rivera was bad about it too. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Passing in QBs abs LTs shlyld have gotten Rhule fired 

his errors are egregious 

from the article this pretty much says it 

quote There is no home-run option for the Panthers at No. 6. Willis likely isn’t ready. Pickett doesn’t have franchise-changing upside and trading back means less talented players come back in return.

Drafting an offensive tackle feels safe. Picking a quarterback seems necessary.Either way, Fitterer and coach Matt Rhule have a tenure-defining decision to make soon.

“It’s time to kind of put your cards on the table or chips into the middle and go with one of these rookie quarterbacks,” Melo said. Something they probably should have done already 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He is going to dig a hole for this franchise that’s going to take years to get out of

I've been saying that ever since it became obvious he wasn't getting fired. You have a desperate man with full control and minimal NFL experience to lean on. Every team in the league is going to be lining up to try to fleece him and pick this carcass clean.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

This is 100% speculation about Deonte and our o-line coach. I think our o-line coach was really bad at coaching our lineman, and the biggest victim of that was Deonte. So the o-line coach was fired, and we might see Deonte starting next season once our new o-line coach has some time to get him up to speed.